· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Drag-and-drop between Neo/J and other applications
Drag-and-drop between Neo/J and other applications

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Drag-and-drop between Neo/J and other applications

FYI. Today I finished implementing the first half of this feature. The first half (i.e. dragging data from Neo/J into other applications) is available for testing while I work on the second half (i.e. dragging data from other applications into Neo/J).

If anyone would like to try it out, I have posted a test patch in bug 602 (http://bugzilla.neooffice.org/bug.php?op=show&bugid=602&pos=).
Before you install the test patch, be sure that you have already installed both Neo/J 1.1 Beta and "Patch-9".

If you find any bugs with the test patch, please add them to bug 602.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject:

FYI. I have finished implementing the remaining half of this feature (i.e. drag from other applications to Neo/J). If anyone would like to test this code, you can download "TestPatch-9.3" from bug 602 (http://bugzilla.neooffice.org/bug.php?op=show&bugid=602&pos=4).

Patrick[/i]
Logger
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: Only for text. Not for pictures/images?

Neat project. The Aqua menu, command-key shortcuts, Mac OS fonts, and Mac OS print service make this vastly more usable than the X11 based OpenOffice.org.

I've really just started using this thing, 10 min ago. I see drag and drop works with text. I tried the next thing that came to mind, dragging and dropping a photo from iPhoto. Doesn't do anything. I was able to drag the photo onto the NeoOffice/J dock icon, and open the photo that way. But it opened it, as opposed to pasting it into my document.

This looks like it could be a very useful tool. With some integration with the iLife apps, aside from the OOo look'n'feel, this would just about be fully integrated into OS X. I'm very impressed.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Only for text. Not for pictures/images?

Logger wrote:
I see drag and drop works with text. I tried the next thing that came to mind, dragging and dropping a photo from iPhoto. Doesn't do anything. I was able to drag the photo onto the NeoOffice/J dock icon, and open the photo that way. But it opened it, as opposed to pasting it into my document.

Unfortunately, drag-and-drop of images is implemented very spottily and inconsistently throughout OOo (see Patrick's comments in bug 602 and bug 621 for a bit of discussion of this), so when testing drag-and-drop of images, be sure to test with Draw or Impress rather than Writer.

It may be that the iLife apps create an incompatible flavor of drag (one that only Cocoa apps can handle?); for instance, I can drag an image from Preview to OmniGraffle and it appears, but not from Preview to a new GraphicConverter document....

Smokey

Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject:

Those bug reports were good reads. I glanced over at the OOo website to search for drag and drop issues in Writer, and finding the appropriate place for feedback wasn't apparent.

So if I read the bug reports correctly. If Writer was changed to utilize drag and drop for images in OOo, NeoOffice's drag and drop would just pick that up and it might work?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject:

Logger wrote:
So if I read the bug reports correctly. If Writer was changed to utilize drag and drop for images in OOo, NeoOffice's drag and drop would just pick that up and it might work?

Yes, as long as the image format set by the application that you are dragging from is TIFF or PICT. In other words, if you can drag it into a Neo/J Draw document, your statement would be true.

Patrick
trashm
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:25 am    Post subject: iPhoto drag and drop

i don't know if anyone else has had the problem of getting photos into Writer from iPhoto. My workaround is to use iClip, a shareware clipboard program, where you can drag and drop the photo into iClip and then paste into Writer by activating the Writer window and clicking on the iClip up arrow.

This is the same workaround that i use for Filemaker Pro 6 for putting iPhoto photos into a Filemaker picture container. This would indicate that Apple does not always have this drag and drop thing right either. I had called Apple support about this bug and they did not have any answers.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject:

Interesting. For me, I actually just use the regular insert graphics from file and navigate straight into the iPhoto "database" on disk. iPhoto stores the pictures usually as jpeg files in your "Pictures" directory. The folders are organized through a date-oriented hierarchy of year/month/day. You can then navigate to the desired jpeg and insert it directly.

The naming of the actual jpegs may be cryptic, though, depending on the naming conventions of your digital camera.

ed
trashm
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject:

I too find it interesting. For me i like the workaround because i do not label my photographs and so i can see which photo i am placing in the document. WYSIWYG as it were.

Also interesting to me is the potential to fix the bug of drag and drop. I am not a software guy, but the fact that iClip does something that the standard clipboard does not, may simpify the troubleshooting.

FWIW, i have e-mailed the author of iClip and found him to be helpful and responsive.

matthew
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1