· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Speed
Speed

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenner
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:07 am    Post subject: Speed

I have been working on 10MB+ presentations recently with NeoOffice/J. No problems no crashes. Also, what is a real joy is how quickly it starts up now compared with some months ago - 13 sec on my PowerBook 867 MHz. Overall a very mature application - Thanks.
jole

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Speed

Glenner wrote:
I have been working on 10MB+ presentations recently with NeoOffice/J. No problems no crashes. Also, what is a real joy is how quickly it starts up now compared with some months ago - 13 sec on my PowerBook 867 MHz. Overall a very mature application - Thanks.

As a comparison, my PowerBook (1.5Ghz, 1.5G memory, OSX 10.4, JDK 1.5 (set as default), FileVault on home dir, encrypted virtual memory) startup time of NeoOffice/J 1.1RC-Patch3 is allways at least 25 secs (when the application is mostly cached and no other applications are running). In fact it takes about 15 secs for just to see the "NeoOffice/J banner".

Any tips on what might be wrong?
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Speed

jole wrote:
Glenner wrote:

As a comparison, my PowerBook (1.5Ghz, 1.5G memory, OSX 10.4, JDK 1.5 (set as default), FileVault on home dir, encrypted virtual memory) startup time of NeoOffice/J 1.1RC-Patch3 is allways at least 25 secs (when the application is mostly cached and no other applications are running). In fact it takes about 15 secs for just to see the "NeoOffice/J banner".

Any tips on what might be wrong?

Hmmmm. How about the overhead of the encryption on your Home directory for starters? I notice that it takes some time for the NeoOffice/J banner to come up if I'm running multiple applications on my PBG4 1.3. I attribute this to the operating system moving stuff around to make space for the Java VM (which Neo/J runs in) and other housekeeping tasks prior to starting up NeoOffice/J. I think that adding memory helped in this regard, but I'm still using a sizeable chunk of on-disk memory space. OpenOffice on Linux was also very slow to start, but both are very 'snappy' once things are running.

James
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject:

One thing that I have noticed with 10.4 is that some applications do take longer to start. I've noticed it more with CFM applications and honestly haven't launched NeoJ enough under 10.4 yet to determine if 10.4 is presenting any other issues.

Even if you have Java 1.5 installed on 10.3, NeoJ 1.1 RC is hardwired to use the Java 1.3.1 VM for a number of reasons. Java 1.5 shouldn't affect NeoJ in the slightest (depending on how it's installed).

ed
Glenner
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 12:40 am    Post subject: Speed

After a clean install of 10.4 I have experienced no change in start-up time. If I restart my computer, the first time NeoOffice/J starts up it will take more like 30 sec, but any subsequent start-up, i.e. normal usage, is @ 13-14 sec. NeoO/J continues to be rock solid after switching to Tiger.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject:

That sounds like the stuff in the 1.3.1 VM to initialize the shared archive is still working in 10.4, which is good news Smile 1.3.1 is an old horse and isn't being improved any more, so the startup times may not get much better on 10.4 (but at least haven't gotten any worse). I'm just thankful 1.3.1 is still in 10.4 Wink

ed

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject:

Of course, for those who experience long startup times (and who use NeoOffice/J routinely) you could always add it as a startup item in your login preferences. I haven't tried that myself so am not sure if it's possible to have it startup in minimized or no-window mode, but that would certainly help you to not sit around waiting after you've clicked on the program.
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject:

Anonymous wrote:
not sure if it's possible to have it startup in minimized or no-window mode

That's a really good point, actually - Patrick, now that the QuickStart code is working, is it possible to have Neo/J start up windowless if it's not launched to open a specific doc or docs? I'll add this to bugzilla...

- yoxi
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject:

I added a comment to yoxi's bug already, but you get into the situation of neither cmd-o nor cmd-n working if Neo/J launches windowless (typically Mac apps don't launch windowless anyway), which offers *huge* potential for confusion, esp. with new users.

Some time back someone asked about login apps and why Neo/J wouldn't launch hidden (I'm guessing the "hide" event gets sent before Neo/J is fully launched and can handle it), I did some investigation and offered an AppleScript that work around this (the variable is launch time on your system, so some tweaking of the "delay nn" statement may be necessary). Just paste into ScriptEditor, save as an app (no splashscreen), and put it into your startup items.

Is this wiki-worthy?

Smokey

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 5:13 am    Post subject: Speaking of speed...

I noticed how much slower NeoOffice is with 10.4 as compared to 10.3.x. Even simply moving between cells in a spreadsheet gives me a beackball as it waits to catch up to my key strokes. Any ideas on how to speed it up? The sluggishness is the same on a dual 1gig or a slow 600mhz ibook. Both used to be speedy.
Chris

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 5:40 am    Post subject: Nevermind

Seems a simple reinstall of the original package then upgrading sped things up back to normal.
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject:

I'm trying to use NeoOffice/J specially with Writer and Impress in order to switch from MS Office. For me, simple end-user, the biggest default of NeoOffice/J is the sluggish animations of full-screen presentation with Impress compared to MS PowerPoint. Animations rendering are too much slow either with imported MS PowerPoint or with Impress presentations Sad.

I've compared NeoOffice Impress and OOo 1.1.2 (X11) Impress, and the older OOo (X11) get even faster than NeoOffice Shocked .
All this on a all new PowerBook G4 1,65 GHz under Tiger and with 1 GHz RAM.
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:46 am    Post subject: Speed vs previous version

FWIW

I have revived my old Release Candidate version of NOJ and find that the older RC version is much faster to load up [the delay in the new version when the indicator line is 2/3 of the way across, which is I understand fonts loading, doesn't seem to be there in the older RC]. [eMac 1.25, 1gb RAM, os 10.3.9]

And I do miss the light grey menus that we got to then: I tried the hack in http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1232&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60
but of course the code is all different now.

However, a great program and I'm sure we all appreciate the skill, time and energy being put in by a VERY small band of programmers Smile
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Speed vs previous version

aussie149 wrote:
I have revived my old Release Candidate version of NOJ and find that the older RC version is much faster to load up [the delay in the new version when the indicator line is 2/3 of the way across, which is I understand fonts loading, doesn't seem to be there in the older RC]. [eMac 1.25, 1gb RAM, os 10.3.9]

FWIW, that delay is there in the older versions, except it occurs prior to the splash screen appearing which may give it the illusion of loading faster than it actually does.

The light grey background for the toolbars etc will be back. Not a no.1 priority for Patrick at the moment, I assume. Wink

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1