Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - patch 11 threw away my soffice.cfg and basic folder contents
patch 11 threw away my soffice.cfg and basic folder contents

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:20 am    Post subject: patch 11 threw away my soffice.cfg and basic folder contents

Did anyone else have this happen? When I installed patch 11, it overwrote all my existing config stuff (keyboard shortcut defs, toolbar edits etc.) and also threw away all the contents of my basic folder, so no macros suddenly. Luckily (well, not luck, judgement) I had a backup to restore them from.

- yoxi

*update* I just wrote my old ~/Library/Preferences/NeoOfficeJ-1.1 folder over the new one, and now everything's back to normal. But the whole thing had been reinitialised. Not good.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject:

Ouch!

No, patch-11 went fine for me, though I had recently (patch-9?) created a new profile because smart quotes stopped working while still enabled....

That user folder is a giant mystery to me. I went looking to see if I could find a way to trash just whatever was storing the fouled smart-quotes setting and gave up. Some things seem to be stored in the various subfolders of the user/registry hierarchy.

Smokey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject:

Agh... just happened... looking in console I see:

Usage: /Applications/NeoOfficeJ.app/Contents/MacOS/setup [-h] [-locale <locale>] [-repair]

This is a serious bug, I lost all my querys and basic programs of the last 15 days (I made a backup 15 days ago of the user folder).

I fill a bug if there is not another.

f.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject:

That console log entry looks familiar...Patrick's mentioned it before, either here or in bugzilla, when someone had some strange happenings with the user folder.

I think he said Neo/J does that when it thinks the user folder is corrupt...so I wonder what might have made it seem corrupt?

Smokey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject:

yes, I remember something similar... infact 15 days ago I done a backup... but i lost a lot of data in last 15 days... damn!

or neooffice/j fails to write datas and write corrupted files, or neooffice think user folder is corrupted and delete it.

anyway (I don't know if pluby can do this) could be a good thing that neooffice put the 'corrupted' user folder in the trash, without deleting it.

this ia very dangerous bug, I hope pluby could find it in a short time...

f.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:39 am    Post subject:

Sorry, but I checked the code change logs and I have not made any changes to the setup script since "Patch-8" so I don't think that this is a new bug.

I looked at the setup script and the only time that the setup script will delete your ~/Library/NeoOfficeJ-1.1 directory is when one or more of the following directories does not exist:

~/Library/NeoOfficeJ-1.1/user/config
~/Library/NeoOfficeJ-1.1/user/registry/data/org/openoffice
~/Library/NeoOfficeJ-1.1/user/wordbook

Did you delete or move any of these 3 directories before you lost your ~/Library/NeoOfficeJ-1.1 directory?

Patrick
fabrizio venerandi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:45 am    Post subject:

No, I never moved (or deleted) files (or folder) inside the neooffice folder.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:12 am    Post subject:

fabrizio venerandi wrote:
No, I never moved (or deleted) files (or folder) inside the neooffice folder.

Then the most likely scenario is that the OOo code is detecting corruption in one or more of the ~/Library/NeoOfficeJ-1.1 files. When such corruption is detected, the setup script is invoked with the "-repair" argument to recreate your settings with default values.

The only way to determine what the OOo code thinks is corrupted is to capture a copy of your ~/Library/NeoOfficeJ-1.1 files immediately before they are deleted.

Patrick
fabrizio venerandi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:12 am    Post subject:

I can add: I used neooffice yesterday at 23:33. I print a pdf and after I log out my user and put the powerbook to sleep. And I put myself to sleep too. Today I wake up the computer, I log in and start neooffice, losing the user folder preferences.
Nothing strange between the last time I used neooffice yesterday and the first one I used tomorrow.

Clueless.

f.
fabrizio venerandi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:16 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The only way to determine what the OOo code thinks is corrupted is to capture a copy of your ~/Library/NeoOfficeJ-1.1 files immediately before they are deleted.

Can you force neooffice to backup the user folder instead deleting it? Else, it could be real hard to get the broken file...

f.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1