· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice/J 1.1 official release plans
NeoOffice/J 1.1 official release plans

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: NeoOffice/J 1.1 official release plans

Over the last month, I have been trying to decide when to release the official release of Neo/J 1.1. My big worry was that lots of bugs would show up when Neo/J is run on Tiger. However, that has not happened. Only a couple of minor issues have been found and they were fixed in Neo/J 1.1 RC patches 4 and 5.

So, now that Tiger has been out for a while and there are very few new bugs being filed against Neo/J 1.1 RC, I think June is a good time to release the official Neo/J 1.1 release.

I am targeting release sometime between June 20 and 22. This should give me and the Neo/J website translators time to update and translate any required website changes. Hopefully, this will also give Smokey and the other Neo/J community relations volunteers time to tidy up the press release materials that have been discussed.

If anyone thinks that late June is a bad time to release Neo/J 1.1, please post a reply to this topic as the date is not set in stone. (In fact, I set the date based on the fact that I have some free time in June.)

Patrick
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject:

June 21st - Midsummer's day, an auspicious date... best not to wait until July, or you'll clash with the release of iPotter v6.0 Smile

- yoxi
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject:

And also the time when Finland migrates to Estonia for cheap vodka...not that I'd know anything about cheap vodka...

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 12:12 am    Post subject:

Patrick, I still haven't determined if I will be online or not that week (I'm still checking to see if our event is happening this year), but preliminary reports from the other community relations regulars indicate their availability will be limited... Sad

Edit: I still don't have an absolutely definitive answer, but it's an "all signs point to no" on the family event, so I'll be able to be online that week and coordinate the release PR stuff Smile

Smokey

Last edited by sardisson on Mon May 30, 2005 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
knutkja
Captain

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice/J 1.1 official release plans

pluby wrote:

I am targeting release sometime between June 20 and 22. This should give me and the Neo/J website translators time to update and translate any required website changes. Hopefully, this will also give Smokey and the other Neo/J community relations volunteers time to tidy up the press release materials that have been discussed.
Patrick

I will be finishing my exams next week, so I can give my modest contribution i June. (Downloadable pdfs with cd labels and covers, translating the pressrelease, and distribution of the pressrelease to papers in the Nordic countries).

I think that the release has to be in June or after the summer holidays in order to be "effective", in an European perspective. At least in the northern part of Europe, activity slows down from the second week of July, and does not speed up again until mid (or late?) August. (This is of course a decision that will be based on where the substantial market is...)

Btw: Patrick, I can translate the Neo/J info pages to Norwegian (that can be read and understood by Swedes, Finnish, Danish and Icelandic people, at least in theory...).

Knut
Goldie
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 3:55 am    Post subject:

Morning all!

yoxi wrote:
June 21st - Midsummer's day, an auspicious date... best not to wait until July, or you'll clash with the release of iPotter v6.0 Smile

- yoxi

Hey, I've been waiting for that a hell of a lot longer than Tiger! Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go over to Amazon to pre-order book 7!

Nancy Shocked
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 4:52 am    Post subject:

june 21st! happy birthday me!
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 5:17 am    Post subject:

I'm afraid I'm probably not going to be available to help out at all for pretty much most of June and the beginning of July. I still only have access to the net intermittently anyway, so I wouldn't be able to do too much either way. Crying or Very sad

If the event does go ahead around then, I'll try my best to do some user support in the forums, but that is about as good as it will get, sorry.

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art
JohanHenselmans
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject:

Is it worth waiting for 1.1.5 and make sure the fileformats that are used in 2.0 are compatible with NeoOffice/J? It would sure make acceptance a lot bigger.

Anyhow, whatever your decision, I'd be happy to help out with translating in dutch, time permitted.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject:

JohanHenselmans wrote:
Is it worth waiting for 1.1.5 and make sure the fileformats that are used in 2.0 are compatible with NeoOffice/J? It would sure make acceptance a lot bigger.

I keep hearing about an OOo 1.1.5 release, but I have yet to see some concrete development of such a release in the main OOo tree.

In any case, I would assume that backporting a bunch of OOo 2.0 code is not a trivial task and such backporting will touch a lot of the OOo modules. What this means is that moving Neo/J 1.1.5 would require a full new Neo/J release since so much of the OOo code will have changed.

Based on my assumptions, I think that moving to OOo 1.1.5 would require another Neo/J Beta cycle.

Patrick
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject:

My hope is that by the time we have to shoehorn in OOo 1.1.5 I may be able to have time to start doing the NWF stuff as well. Depending on how stable that stuff can get, I'm thinking it might be possible to do a "1.5" style release with NWF and OpenDocument compatibility (that is, if the 1.1.x OpenDocument compatibility ever appears...the filter code isn't exactly pretty...)

ed
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
My hope is that by the time we have to shoehorn in OOo 1.1.5 I may be able to have time to start doing the NWF stuff as well. Depending on how stable that stuff can get, I'm thinking it might be possible to do a "1.5" style release with NWF and OpenDocument compatibility (that is, if the 1.1.x OpenDocument compatibility ever appears...the filter code isn't exactly pretty...)

Considering OOo 2.0 has now been in Beta preview for half a year or so, I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a little while...

sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 1:22 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:

ed

That was my hope as well, and one of the arguments I made for releasing 1.1 in the June timeframe (another other being, well, the 1.1.5 "vaporware" issue...we don't want to be waiting for a release that may never come--and which will require another "test release" cycle for Neo/J--just to lose our ability to claim we're running the latest stable OOo codebase).

Also hopefully in the 1.1.5/1.5 timeline we'll have new GUI icons from the ovvldc/bercha/friends effort (er, yes, GUI versions of the Finder icons are still on my to-do list, but I'm in CR mode atm), so even if Ed can't do any NWF stuff, Neo/J will still look a little better by then.

People are going to be unhappy about something no matter when we release 1.1 final, but at this point we'll still hopefully be a month or more ahead of OOo 2 and likely even more for 1.1.5, and at the end of a year-long process [the final, stable OOo 1.1.2/Mac OS X was released June 27, 2004], there will be a final, stable, post-1.0 Neo/J release that's using the latest stable OOo codebase to boot. (The first in Neo/J's history to meet all of those criteria.)

The world (and end-users afraid of the terms "beta" and "release candidate") deserves to see and to celebrate the work that Patrick and Ed have been doing--nay, devoting their lives to--for the past few years, and this is the right time.

(OpenDocument won't become an immediate overnight need, anyway; not everyone will jump on 2.0, and 2.0 can still save in 1.x format, so it should remain the common denominator in the OOo world for a while anyway. And then there's always .doc; it doesn't seem to be going away either Wink)

Smokey

The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject:

I'm out for 2 weeks starting 27 June but undertake to do what I can to follow the forums and help out where I can even during that period.

I agree entirely with Smokey's viewpoint and we should not underestimate the value of the advantages he mentions or the penalties for losing any one of them. There will never be perfect timing (nor will there ever be a perfect product - how long was it before OS X 10.4.1 appeared?) but it is essential that NeoOffice/J is out of the stocks sufficiently ahead of any pre-release announcements of vapour-ware 1.1.5 or other OOo.org distractions.

Let's go for it! No one ever advanced by standing still.

oihenart
Keymaker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject:

Hi,

We are working in Geneva, Switzerland, and plan to put NeoOffice in all our macs (more than 1000). We have to prepare this for the middle of june, and no later. Do you think that the "Final version" of NeoOffice will be out at this time ?

Christian
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3