Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - First things first: Introducing myself
First things first: Introducing myself

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tlmurray
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: First things first: Introducing myself

My name is Tim Murray. I've been teaching MS Office products on a small scale (meaning lots of one-on-one sessions and a few small classes of perhaps four people) for nearly 20 years. I have a boatload of usability experience, and I know what frustrates users from the user interface point of view. I'm considered a Word expert (FrameMaker, too), and I can fly through a document so fast that people who watch me say, "slow down, you did that so fast I didn't see it."

I completely applaud the efforts of the team, coming up with a product such as the OpenOffice effort. I absolutely want it to succeed.

And that is exactly why I wrote this. I didn't want to come off as a big blowhard, yet I wanted to communicate my experience and knowledge so that . . . well, let's cut to the chase . . . so that I hoped my suggestions would have some weight and merit.
tlmurray
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject:

Which of the forums is the best one for general suggestions?
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:00 am    Post subject:

tlmurray wrote:

Welcome, Tim.

Depends on the suggestion Wink Most of the time the answer is either Bugzilla or "not here" Smile

It's important to recognize/remember the scope of the NeoOffice/J project (and even the Mac porting project within OpenOffice.org itself) is quite limited.

Recommended reading in the NeoWiki: A Brief History of OpenOffice.org and the NeoOffice Projects (at least the introduction), What is NeoOffice/J?, and NeoOffice/J_and_Aqua

OpenOffice.org is developed by a large team of Sun engineers for Solaris, Windows, and Linux. They design the UI and program functions to be reasonably platform-compliant and cross-platform within those three OSes. Everything else is done by a very small number of volunteers.

While there's obviously room for platform-compliance and platform-specific feature work (voilà NeoOffice/J), that space is quite limited by the massive size of the codebase, its ever-changing nature, the lack of a complete GUI abstraction (certain parts of the UI, like the "save" progress bar IIRC, are still defined outside of the VCL module), Sun's three-platform strategy, and available manpower for doing such work.... (And platform-specific changes for non-core platforms can't break, or in 99.9% of the time even cause non-breaking changes--see the fight over getting the N*F frameworks adopted, and Ed's bitrotting meta accelerator patch--anything on the core platforms....)

So, to answer your question: things that involve fixing things that work correctly in the X11 version of OpenOffice.org, or for certain (and you won't know until you've been told afterwards) Mac-compliance issues, Bugzilla is your best bet. For core features (or associated bugs) that are clearly cross-platform, the OpenOffice.org IssueZilla is the place. For certain Mac-compliance/Aquafication tasks, NeoOffice/J Development (see the GUI icon thread). For everything else, usually Random Whatnot Smile

I don't want to be negative, just realistic. Lots of time new folks show up on the forums expecting to change the world, or for Aquafication/AHIG-compliance to be a breeze ("these devs just don't know about these rules, that's why they haven't implemented x yet"). The reality is much more sobering and the issues much more complex. OTOH, we have the longest-serving and most-experienced Mac OOo folks here, Patrick from the beginning (the aborted Sun port of StarOffice to Mac OS X which formed the basis for Mac OOo) and Ed since then, shepherding every final Mac OOo build to release.... Smile

Smokey

Red Pill

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:10 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
tlmurray wrote:

Depends on the suggestion :wink: Most of the time the answer is either Bugzilla or "not here" :-)

So, to answer your question: things that involve fixing things that work correctly in the X11 version of OpenOffice.org, or for certain (and you won't know until you've been told afterwards) Mac-compliance issues, Bugzilla is your best bet. For core features (or associated bugs) that are clearly cross-platform, the OpenOffice.org IssueZilla is the place. For certain Mac-compliance/Aquafication tasks, NeoOffice/J Development (see the GUI icon thread). For everything else, usually Random Whatnot :-)
Smokey

Thanks for that excellent reply.
I have a suggestion that would be an added core feature that's cross-platform, so I figure OpenOffice.org IssueZilla is the place. Within that system, you are asked to select the version it's based on.

Would it be "OOo 2 beta"? Something else?
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject:

tlmurray wrote:
Thanks for that excellent reply.
I have a suggestion that would be an added core feature that's cross-platform, so I figure OpenOffice.org IssueZilla is the place. Within that system, you are asked to select the version it's based on.

Would it be "OOo 2 beta"? Something else?

Neo/J 1.1 Release Candidate is equal to OOo 1.1.4, the latest stable version.

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1