NeoOffice :: View topic - CD distribution proposal
CD distribution proposal

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: CD distribution proposal

Since there has been a lot of work going on to get a nice CD label and a README file ready for the Neo/J 1.1 final release, I thought that I'd do something to make sure that CDs are available starting the same day that I release Neo/J 1.1 on the web.

I looked at my PayPal account options and CD printing and shipping rates and, based on what I found, here is what I propose to do:

1. Add a "purchase CD" page to the Neo/J download site that allows you to purchase a Neo/J CD from me using PayPal.

2. I will ship the CD via the U.S. Postal Service's Global Priority Mail to any of the countries listed here:

http://pe.usps.gov/text/Imm/immc2_014.html#QP$5w34dwats

3. I will charge US$25 for the CD.

Where did I come up with US$25? Well, basically the price is designed to accomplish the following two goals:

1. Doing CD sales requires time and money. Not only do I have to pay for the CD duplication, tromp down to the post office, wait in line, and pay international shipping, but I also need to do sales tax filings for all sales to California locations and I have to maintain detailed records for tax filings. So, the idea is that if you want a CD, you are in essence donating a small amount (about US$15) to the Neo/J donation fund.

2. I want to prevent profiting by unscrupulous vendors. Ed and I can't find and monitor all CD vendors out there so, instead, we can eliminate the profit motive. By setting a price of US$25 on our website, there is very little incentive for unscrupulous vendors to charge more. Also, very few vendors that can actually profit selling CDs at US$25 as international shipping (the majority of Neo/J users live outside of the U.S.) uses up a big chunk of the price.

Of course, the ideal situation would be for one or more community distributors to emerge who charge U.S. $10 or less (including international shipping).

Thoughts?

Patrick
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: CD distribution proposal

First reaction? Send me their details if they are in Switzerland (in the first instance) and I'll distribute from here. You can keep the USD 25 and, subject to higher authority, I'll propose that this will be an in-kind donation to the project.

Thoughts?

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: CD distribution proposal

rays wrote:
First reaction? Send me their details if they are in Switzerland (in the first instance) and I'll distribute from here. You can keep the USD 25 and, subject to higher authority, I'll propose that this will be an in-kind donation to the project.

To paraphrase, I handle the payment and other details and, when I send you the name and address, you will ship a CD. This type of "drop-shipping" arrangement would be perfect.

Patrick
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Paraphrase accurate.

I'd like to check this against my boss but I expect it might be a go-er as he is positive towards our current direction towards promoting adoption of open source solutions generally in World Scouting.

Production would be on the same basis as my previous idea posted elsewhere but now I would assume that I have to pre-print CDs with the NeoOffice Community Distribution imprint. It would be relatively low volume production but, if necessary, could be reviewed as an arrangement. Also, delivery for the end user always needs to be fast so maybe during our conference in September when I'm in Tunisia (and during my vacations) you would need to take over?

Or maybe we might find like minded, reliable folks?

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject:

rays wrote:
Production would be on the same basis as my previous idea posted elsewhere but now I would assume that I have to pre-print CDs with the NeoOffice Community Distribution imprint. It would be relatively low volume production but, if necessary, could be reviewed as an arrangement. Also, delivery for the end user always needs to be fast so maybe during our conference in September when I'm in Tunisia (and during my vacations) you would need to take over?

Depends on how long you are gone. After all, shipping a CD from my house in Sunnyvale, California can easily take 6 business days (basically a week) even via USPS global priority shipping. And this assumes that there are no customs delays at the destination country. So, if you are gone only a week, shipping them from Switzerland will probably be faster.

Just to be safe, I am going to put "allow 2 to 3 weeks for delivery" on the website. Most will be delivered faster but I want to allow for times when I am on vacation or at a conference as well.

Patrick
Waldo
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject:

Isn't there some kind of fulfillment house that can do this all automatically? Ie, you send them an .img and a couple graphics for the sleeve, and they take care of processing orders/mailing/etc...

Five minutes later...

Did a quick search.. Check this out

details here. I'm guessing there are other companies that do this as well...

W
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject:

Waldo wrote:
Isn't there some kind of fulfillment house that can do this all automatically? Ie, you send them an .img and a couple graphics for the sleeve, and they take care of processing orders/mailing/etc...

Five minutes later...

Did a quick search.. Check this out

details here. I'm guessing there are other companies that do this as well...

W

I've already looked at these guys and I may choose to use them *if* there is demand. But, frankly, I will be surprised if I ship more than 50 CDs in the next couple of months. Adding a PayPal button is trivial for me and Ed and I can create 100 CDs fairly easily. If that supply gets used up, then I will worry about more complex business situations like fulfullment houses, etc.

Patrick
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:02 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I've already looked at these guys and I may choose to use them *if* there is demand. But, frankly, I will be surprised if I ship more than 50 CDs in the next couple of months. Adding a PayPal button is trivial for me and Ed and I can create 100 CDs fairly easily. If that supply gets used up, then I will worry about more complex business situations like fulfullment houses, etc.

Patrick

Spooky! This was my line of thinking too! Nearly finished the written request to my powers-that-be for support to proceed as mentioned earlier.

For info, my scheduled absence stretches from 24 August through until nearly the end of September. Hence my concern.

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1