· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Determining patch level
Determining patch level

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GibHenry
Councilperson

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: Determining patch level

Is there an easy way to determine the patch level installed? Some patches show different names from the DMG file name...Cheers,
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject:

well, usually it shows up in the 'about' box, however it would seem with the 1.2 alpha patches that all of them are registered as patch 1... hmm.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Determining patch level

GibHenry wrote:
Is there an easy way to determine the patch level installed? Some patches show different names from the DMG file name...Cheers,

These are hacky test patches. They don't have separate patch numbers because these are *development* builds, not production releases.

Patrick
kmorris
Sentinel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: patch level

OpenOffice has a hack for showing the build details: Help -> About to show the "About" box, then control-s control-d control-t . It also scrolls to show the list of contributors. I found this out while reporting a StarOffice8 bug which only appears in the more recent builds - sometimes you just need more detail.

In NeoOffice, you see the same thing by using cmd-s cmd-d cmd-t. It shows the actual build number - but perhaps this is the underlying openoffice build? Anyway, that's where I'd expect to see this detail. For NeoOffice 1.1, Patch 3, I see "645(build 8824)"

Rgds,

KM
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject:

The build number and underlying SO CWS version number you see with that sequence will reflect only the versioning of the underlying OOo build itself. IIRC we don't change that build info with each patch. You can use that 645 to align Neo with the appropriate OOo version (1.1.4 was 645).

The most reliable way to check which patch is installed is that "Patch #" text in the about dialog box. I believe the only release patch that may be ambiguous is the 1.1 Final Patch 3 with the Java 1.3.1 and Java 1.4.1 variants. To tell if you have one or the other, check to see whether your "wait" cursor is the old style Macintosh watch with spinning hands or whether it's an arrow with a blue spinning beach ball in the corner. Watch with spinning hands = Java 1.3.1, blue spinning beach ball (not SPOD) = Java 1.4.1.

As was mentioned above, the performance patches and other patches that have "Test" in their names won't be able to be checked using that about box method as they are intermediates. Only the release patches can be checked in the above fashion.

I also suppose it wouldn't be that difficult for someone to spin a tool that can check modification dates of key files to determine patch level...but hopefully the about box will be sufficient Smile

ed
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:30 pm    Post subject: About..

An aside: when I do either ctrl-s ctrl-d ctrl-t OR cmd-s cmd-d cmd -t, I get Patrick and Ed's names, then the list of the "Star Office China" team. Cute.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: About..

aussie149 wrote:
An aside: when I do either ctrl-s ctrl-d ctrl-t OR cmd-s cmd-d cmd -t, I get Patrick and Ed's names, then the list of the "Star Office China" team. Cute.

Gotta love those damn OOo easter eggs. Seriously though, I couldn't get this to work in Writer, Calc, or Draw.

I am really intrigued by the Start Office China team listing as I had heard unsubstantiated rumors that there were managers within Sun who were pushing to move the OOo engineering from Hamburg to China (presumably to save cost). I didn't think that there were actual engineers in China yet, maybe I'm wrong?

Patrick
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: About..

pluby wrote:
aussie149 wrote:

Gotta love those damn OOo easter eggs. Seriously though, I couldn't get this to work in Writer, Calc, or Draw.

I am really intrigued by the Start Office China team listing as I had heard unsubstantiated rumors that there were managers within Sun who were pushing to move the OOo engineering from Hamburg to China (presumably to save cost). I didn't think that there were actual engineers in China yet, maybe I'm wrong?

Patrick

Works every time for me, Patrick. NeoOffice 1.2. I wish I could work out away of getting this info from the scrolling screen to a post, but it's beyond my knowledge/skills. Can anyone else do this?

Peter
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:52 am    Post subject: StarOffice China

A did a screenshot and OCR of the first bit

StarOffice China Team

William Wan

Binary Filter Stripping Project

Gary Yang
James Meng
Minna Wu
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours