NeoOffice :: View topic - language install problem
language install problem

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IanInBarcelona
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:52 am    Post subject: language install problem

Hi all
I'm new here and this is my first post (yipee)

Well, I need to use the Catalan spelling corrector with it.
So, I tried to install the extra ackage thing for more languages...
After repeated ries it just doesn't seem to install
I downloaded it again... no dice

SO, any suggestions?

Thanks

Smile

Ian[/url]
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject:

Does Mac OS X have a international language setting for Catalan?

The dictionary is activated by having the corresponding language set as topmost in the System Prefs when Neo is launched.

See Activating Dictionaries for more info.

If there's no setting for Catalan, we'll have to remember how the manual hacks worked.... Sad

Smokey

The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject:

Hi Ian,

Welcome to community support! I'll be happy to try to work this one through with you and I assume here that you are trying to get the dictionaries installed, rather than change the language of the user interface. Correct me if I am wrong.

Whether you already have NeoOffice/J 1.1 or NeoOffice 1.2 Alpha installed, you might like to try the built-in NeoOffice menu item File>AutoPilot>Install New Dictionaries... This has worked very well for me in the past.

The menu item opens a step-through document similar to a wizard which lets you select the (multiple, even) dictionaries, hyphenation and thesaurus versions that you want to add. (You must be logged into Mac OS X with administration privileges to be able to install the thesaurus.)

One of the steps invites you to 'upgrade' the auto-pilot document. I would recommend against upgrading as it has never proved necessary. Just say 'no' to the offer when you see it.

All being well, you'll find it straightforward and, at the end of the process, you'll have all the language tools you need for working in Barcelona!

Please post back here to let us know how you got on.

IanInBarcelona
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: solving

Hi Ray
That was pretty nifty, I'm all sorted out now.
The process didn't work the first few times as it hung at different points, but now the dictionary's in there.

I don't know how good it is, but there is a real dearth of such aids in Catalan for Mac - this is generally a problem with the smaller language groups I suppose.

Thanks a lot

Ian
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:34 am    Post subject:

Hi Ian,

Thank you for this positive feedback and glad that we were of service.

Yes, I have noticed sometimes that, depending on which servers you are directed to for downloading the elements you need, the quality of the connection varies (although I've never had one 'drop', only experiencing painful pauses!).

Now I hope you will enjoy exploring the advantages of NeoOffice and tell all your Mac loving friends to give it a go too!

If you have found my posting here useful in resolving such an issue with installing additional dictionaries on Mac OS X then please support more development work on delivering OpenOffice.org in a Mac OS X friendly way by making a small donation here.

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1