Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - ODBC troubles
ODBC troubles

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Serbanc

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:26 am    Post subject: ODBC troubles

I am not able to establish a connection through ODBC to mysql. I receive always this message:

COULD NOT LOAD THE PROGRAM LIBRARY LIBIODBC.DYLIB OR IS CORRUPTED. THE ODBC DATA SOURCE SELECTION IS NOT AVAILABLE.

Please note that the ODBC data souce is installed and it works correctly with Open Office and with the other programs that use ODBC.
I 'm using osx 10.4.5 - NeoOffice 1.2.1 - Mysql 5.015 - Actual ODBC or Mysqlodbc 3.51.
Someone, could help me to solve the problem? Thanks in advance.
Best regards

Sergio
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: ODBC troubles

Serbanc wrote:
Please note that the ODBC data souce is installed and it works correctly with Open Office and with the other programs that use ODBC.
I 'm using osx 10.4.5 - NeoOffice 1.2.1 - Mysql 5.015 - Actual ODBC or Mysqlodbc 3.51.
Someone, could help me to solve the problem? Thanks in advance.

You don't mention which version of OpenOffice.org that you are using so I assume that you are using OOo 2.0. Since NeoOffice is based on OOo 1.1.5, the likely problem is that OOo 1.1.5's ODBC support was not as robust as OOo 2.0's.

Since NeoOffice is stuck using OOo 1.1.5 for at least the next few months, I would recommend that you use MySQL's JDBC driver as many NeoOffice users have successively used MySQL's most recent JDBC driver.

Patrick
monroej

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: ODBC troubles

I am able to use ODBC with both NeoOffice 1.1 and 1.2.1. When ia create a New Data Source and specify ODBC, I am able to press the "..." button for "Data source URL" and see a list of configured DSN's.

I can then select a DSN for an Actual Technologies MySQL driver and connect to a MySQL database with no problem.

FWIW, I'm running OS X 10.3.9. I'll also try it on 10.4.5 and see what happens.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject:

We don't have a full tutorial on ODBC, but there are some links to threads with tips in the wiki. (Eventually I'd like to split that article up into MySQL/JDBC/Neo, MySQL/JDBC/NeoJ, MySQL/ODBC/Neo, hsqldb, simple datasources, and "stuff you can do with your db", but for now it's almost all lumped together.)

Alternatively, as Patrick mentioned, most users use JDBC, and we have decent steps for that (mostly geared to Neo/J 1.1, but the main difference is only the Connector/J version).

Smokey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: ODBC troubles with Neooffice 2

Dear All,
I subscribed the early access program... because I trust in neooffice.
As per my prior posting, I have to indicate that also the 2.0 release suffer the problem with ODBC. The symtom is always the same...

COULD NOT LOAD THE PROGRAM LIBRARY LIBIODBC.DYLIB OR IS CORRUPTED. THE ODBC DATA SOURCE SELECTION IS NOT AVAILABLE.

Now I'm using a the newer version based on oo 2.02 more robust, but the it doesn't work yet. I think that the problem is related to some particular path not correct into compile process.
I think that ODBC is faster then JDBC and when you have a very big db the speed is all.
Best regards
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject:

First, NeoOffice 2.0 Alpha uses the OpenOffice.org 2.0.2 code so both will, at a minimum, have the some bugs.

As for your "libiodbc.dylib" error, my quick Google search for "libiodbc.dylib" yields this same problem for many different applications, not just Neo or OOo. So, I suspect that there is either a problem with iODBC or iODBC requires some fussy steps to be used by Mac OS X applications.

Patrick
Serbanc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Odbc troubles

Thanks Patrick for your reply,
in OOo (x11) version 2 odbc works correctly. So I don't think that is an iODBC problem. I used Actual ODBC driver and also MySQL native ODBC both with OOo and with other applications that support ODBC connection succesfully. Only with NeoO I am not able to connect with DB.
Please could you tell me if you are able to work with ODBC or not and if yes, have you a hidden file named .profile in your root?
Thanks again
Sergio
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Odbc troubles

Serbanc wrote:
Please could you tell me if you are able to work with ODBC or not and if yes, have you a hidden file named .profile in your root?

.profile in my root? Are you talking about enviroment variables? If so, setting environment variables in .profile (I assume that you are setting the DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable in .profile, correct?) has no affect on applications opened by double-clicking in the Finder. Setting stuff in the .profile file only affects applications started in a Terminal (e.g. OOo X11).

If you want native applications like NeoOffice to see custom environment variables, you need to set them in a different file as described here:

http://www.astro.washington.edu/rowen/AquaEnvVar.html

Patrick
Serbanc

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: ODBC troubles - solved!

Dear Patrick,
finally I found the solution. I created a symbolic link of libiodbc.dylib into NeoOffice/Contents/program and voila' now I am able to see all my ODBC dsn.
Thanks for your efforts.

Sergio
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: ODBC troubles - solved!

Serbanc wrote:
finally I found the solution. I created a symbolic link of libiodbc.dylib into NeoOffice/Contents/program and voila' now I am able to see all my ODBC dsn.

Just out of curiosity, I wonder if it works if you delete the libiodbc.dylib softlink that you created in NeoOffice/Contents/program and, instead, make a libiodbc.dylib softlink into /usr/lib and then restart NeoOffice. If this works, then all Mac OS X GUI applications should be able to use libiodbc.dylib.

Patrick
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject:

You should be able to make systemwide softlinks in /usr/lib as well as ~/lib in your home directory. The system linker uses the following fallback path for searching for libraries that are not in the current library path or their install location:

Code:

$(HOME)/lib:/usr/local/lib:/lib:/usr/lib

(see man dyld)

ed
serbanc

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: ODBC troubles - solved!

pluby wrote:
Serbanc wrote:

Just out of curiosity, I wonder if it works if you delete the libiodbc.dylib softlink that you created in NeoOffice/Contents/program and, instead, make a libiodbc.dylib softlink into /usr/lib and then restart NeoOffice. If this works, then all Mac OS X GUI applications should be able to use libiodbc.dylib.

Patrick

I don't need to do any change to use the libiodbc.dylib with the other OSX GUI applications because already now I am able to use the odbc driver with the other applications (becasue the softlink already existed in /usr/lib). The unique application that doesn't recognize the library is NeoOffice. However I tried for you and I can confirm you that deleting the softlink from Neooffice/contents/program it doesn't work anymore.
Now I am testing the odbc driver performing queries but I discovered that the number field aren't extracted correctly. In OOo it works. I am going to continue my tests and then I will let you know. Thanks.

Sergio
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: ODBC troubles - solved!

serbanc wrote:
I don't need to do any change to use the libiodbc.dylib with the other OSX GUI applications because already now I am able to use the odbc driver with the other applications (becasue the softlink already existed in /usr/lib). The unique application that doesn't recognize the library is NeoOffice. However I tried for you and I can confirm you that deleting the softlink from Neooffice/contents/program it doesn't work anymore.
Now I am testing the odbc driver performing queries but I discovered that the number field aren't extracted correctly. In OOo it works. I am going to continue my tests and then I will let you know. Thanks.

I've added the standard list of fallback paths that Ed listed to NeoOffice's default library paths. Can you install the following
dLux wrote:
Does this mean that something is wrong with my installation? Is there any workaround that makes it possible to work with it?

No, it is a bug. I expect that there are lots of bugs still to be found which is why I called it an Alpha release.

Since I found the source of the bug in the OpenOffice.org code very quickly, you can try downloading the following Neo 2.0 Alpha PowerPC test patch, delete the libiodbc.dylib softlink in Neo's program directory, and see if ODBC still works?:

http://www.planamesa.com/test/NeoOffice-2.0_Alpha-Patch-1-Test-2-PowerPC.dmg

Thanks,

Patrick
serbanc

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:53 am    Post subject: ODBC patched

Dear Patrick,
thanks, now it works without any softlink.Great.
Sergio
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1