Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Dock Icon - Launcher workaround? <edit>
Dock Icon - Launcher workaround? <edit>

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Txoko
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:47 am    Post subject: Dock Icon - Launcher workaround? <edit>

Exists the possibility of placing the icons to writer, calc, and others separately in the DOCK?
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:02 am    Post subject:

unfortunatly no.

i did make some blank templates and use them (They go in the document side of the dock, however) to start neo in the program i wanted.
Txoko
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:12 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the answer.

I think that for a future update of Neooffice, it would be well having this option.

I would like that this considered.

As I can send this request to the people who work in neooffice?
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:28 am    Post subject:

Txoko, having NeoOffice separated into several applications (like MS Office for example) is a very frequent request, but unfortunately it can't be done (at least not in the near future).

NeoOffice is written as a single application, and splitting it into multiple ones would require a lot of changes to the underlying OpenOffice.org code (on which Neo is based), and that can't be adressed by the NeoOffice team.

NeoOffice is maintained by two developers (Patrick and Ed - who browse the forums BTW), as well as a community of people helping with translations, manuals, the Wiki or even the forums.
Txoko
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:45 am    Post subject:

Thank you very much Samwise.

I am not very good in the programming, but if jakeOSX has templates to execute writer, calc.... with single click, I don't think that it is so difficult for a programmer if we consider that when you execute NeoOffice you can create a new one to writer, calc..... with a single call.

Also....... we will continue waiting....
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:34 am    Post subject:

this has been something i've looked into. the easy answer, which is making applescript launchers, similar to 'start openoffice.org' has the problem that you can't send parameters to the neooffice.app. (it isn't applescriptable)

you can with oo.o x11 because the .app file is applescript which is really making x11 commands. (still not directly applescriptable, though)

there are some work arounds i am trying... but i am learning applescript as i go =)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:01 am    Post subject:

Probably an Applescript or Automater script launching the component desired would work in the dock. Then, just copy and paste the component icon over the AS icon.

something like:

tell Finder
open /usr/bin/soffice/impress*
end tell

Or somesuch to launch the Neo PowerPoint component for example

*Not at my my Mac now but at the work PeeCee for about 3 more weeks : ( so confirm correct path to the Neo component desired
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject:

the problem is that neooffice.app is not an applescript, but a compiled app (right?) meaning you can't send parameters or commands to the actual .app file.

i did something similar to what youare talking about with 'start openoffice.org' making a different launcher for each program in openoffice.org. that was cool =)

so, separate from a major code re-write (which i suspect would take patrick ten, maybe twenty minutes with some hot pockets and Xena tapes) it is programming duct tape time.

like the launcher thing i made, which was for all intensive purposes a folder with a blank template from each program in it. you clicked on the template, and poof you got to the right place. put the folder in the dock, and you got a nifty launcher thingy (which i still use)... only thing, it lives on the right side of the doc. we like the left side. sigh.

anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject:

OK, then here's a question for the gallery for disussion over a cold Sam Adams or Moosehead (an old fav I'm enjoying again these days). If the Finder can talk to X11 which can in turn open the various OO_o components, why can't OS X talk to Neo directly and open components if Neo is based on OO_o?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject:

Guest wrote:
OK, then here's a question for the gallery for disussion over a cold Sam Adams or Moosehead (an old fav I'm enjoying again these days). If the Finder can talk to X11 which can in turn open the various OO_o components, why can't OS X talk to Neo directly and open components if Neo is based on OO_o?

Because OOo X11 is a Unix command-line application. Those AppleScript launchers more or less invoke OOo's "soffice" shell script with the standard OOo arguments like "-writer", "-calc", etc.

You can do the same with Neo by invoking Neo's "soffice" executable directly, but Neo is really designed to run from the Finder so I'd recommend putting a blank template file in the Dock and clicking on that.

Patrick

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject:

Ok, thanks for that, Pat. Sounds like we have a winner/workaround with the blank document in the Dock suggestion as it serves the same purpose to launch a Neo component. Left side, right side, whatever...
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject:

Guest wrote:
Ok, thanks for that, Pat. Sounds like we have a winner/workaround with the blank document in the Dock suggestion as it serves the same purpose to launch a Neo component. Left side, right side, whatever...

The cool thing about using an OOo blank template file instead of a blank document file is that, by default, when you open a template file, it will ask you to save any changes to a new document file so that you don't accidently insert content into your blank template.

Patrick
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I am not very good in the programming, but if jakeOSX has templates to execute writer, calc.... with single click, I don't think that it is so difficult for a programmer if we consider that when you execute NeoOffice you can create a new one to writer, calc..... with a single call.

The template approach isn't really the same. When you launch NeoOffice from its icon (instead of an already existing document), it defaults to NeoOffice Write. With a blank template, you can open Neo so that it defaults to another component; however, NeoOffice is still a single app, unlike with MS Office or iWork where the different parts (Word/Excel/Powerpoint/Entourage or Pages/Keynote) are separate applications.

On the other hand, using a template is an easy way to get to the part of NeoOffice you need to use ...
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject:

i'd link the wiki to this discussion (like a while ago) but i can't get to the wiki at work (sucks) but it has some templates i made there.

which had the old school ship icon (w3rd)
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject:

Is http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/NeoOffice_Launch_Shortcuts the page you're looking for ?
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3