Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Pages can't read a .doc from neooffice?
Pages can't read a .doc from neooffice?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thatoo
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Pages can't read a .doc from neooffice?

When I create a .doc folder from neooffice, the Pages apps can't read it. Do you know why? Do you know a solution?
Pages can read a .doc folder from word and Abiword but not from neooffice. I have the neooffice v2 beta3 and the patch 10.
My friend who used a pc can read the folder. It's ok but if I want to modify it by Pages, I can't. Confused
Thank you for your answer.
Thatoo
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Pages can't read a .doc from neooffice?

Thatoo wrote:
When I create a .doc folder from neooffice, the Pages apps can't read it. Do you know why? Do you know a solution?

Because Pages can't read Microsoft Word files very well. The Word file format is a proprietary trade secret of Microsoft. As a result, programs like NeoOffice and Pages must reverse engineer the file format as best they can. NeoOffice does a good, but not perfect, job. Pages apparently needs more reverse engineering work by Apple. The only solutions is to save your documents in a file format that Pages does support like RTF.

Patrick
Thatoo
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject:

thank you for your quick answer.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject:

Pat's right, of course. If M$ allowed perfect translation by other word processing programs, billy couldn't hold on to that empire. Hence he will never allow perfect translation, there will always be some annoying things that make one say, "I might as well use Word so I don't have the hassle." The good news, he's taking some of that $ and doing charitable things with it.
RoyFocker
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:51 am    Post subject:

... and, if you save from "pages" (it must be called "simple pages" or "playing with pages": that is a "toy" not a wordprocessor... Evil or Very Mad ) on *.doc, NeoO can open it without problems!!!
GOOD WORK, Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1