Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Inadmissible Path-cannot save
Inadmissible Path-cannot save

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Inadmissible Path-cannot save

I have opened a .doc document in NeoOffice, and would now like to save it as HTML so I can import it into another program. But everytime I choose "save as..." I get the error "Inadmisible path. The input syntax is invalid." This is before any save dialog window comes up. If I try "save," I get a warning about possibly losing data if I save as a .doc format, whatever option I choose (save as .doc or save as NeoOffice), I then get the same "Inadmissible path" error.

I am using NewOffice 1.2.2 on an ibook G4 running OS X 10.4.6

Thanks!

Lorinda
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject:

One correction to my post: If I choose "Save" and, when warned about data loss choose to continue to save as a .doc file, it will save.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Inadmissible Path-cannot save

What file name are you trying to save it as?

Patrick
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject:

Well, I never get to a dialogue box that lets me give it a name. But the path name in the drop down menu near the top of the window is:

/Users/Shared/Propers/*Year B/(32)Proper 07B/Arnolds Notes Proper 7B.doc

Another oddity: I can open it by finding it in the finder and double clicking (or right clicking and choosing "Open with NeoOffice"), but I can't get to it through the open document command in NeoOffice. I think it has something to do with how many folders I have to drill through to get to it. I can't get any further that the folder *YearB if I try to open it from within NeoOffice. I've encountered this difficulty before.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject:

You have found and OpenOffice.org bug (NeoOffice is based on OpenOffice.org 2.0.2). Parts of OpenOffice.org apparently cannot handle directories with a an "*" in the name.

Patrick
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject:

So that's it! I'll have to find a different character to force that folder to the top of the list! Thanks for figuring it out for me!

Live long and prosper.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Try a space in front of the folder/file name.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject:

Hmm... Wait a minute, unix doesn't like spaces, well it is a Mac, so try a space anyway but might have to use someting else, maybe the letter a or an underscore or somesuch.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject:

Did anyone ever report that bug to OOo (the "invalid" characters that are really valid Mac characters)? Someone filed a bug on another character at one point (question mark, maybe?), and we closed it as an OOo bug....

Smokey

The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:
So that's it! I'll have to find a different character to force that folder to the top of the list! Thanks for figuring it out for me!

Live long and prosper.

Having problem characters can cause a LOT of strange problems.
It's a good idea to AVOID using non-alpha, non-numeric, characters in file and folder names - especially characters that could be special and/or code like: "?", "*", "/", "\" , even a space " ", "( )", "[ ]" "{ }" and such.

Also remember that different characters mean different things in Windows, Macintosh, and UNIX Operating Systems. Best to avoid characters that may cause a problem in any of the three.

I use the underscore "_" character (or 2 or 3) to sort items to the top of a directory.

Philip (confused in all three Operating Systems! Wink )
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:
So that's it! I'll have to find a different character to force that folder to the top of the list!...

I always use an exclamation mark (what in the pre-Windows days we used to call 'bang' !) as first character in a filename to sort it/them to the top of the list, as that's never used by the system or other (OSX) apps, so I know it's one of mine - and it doesn't seem to upset the OS when doing searches etc. And since it's one of the standard ASCII character set, there's no problems between win/mac/linux/etc. or language compatibility.

- padmavyuha
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject:

Spaces were really the only one which we did try and fix a long time ago in antiquity with OOo 1.0. I don't think anyone ever spent much time on the other ones that the Mac allows but are verboten in other places. Dangerous ones on Macs include slashes (they're path separators on OS X!) and colons (they're path separators on HFS!). Best to avoid both of those characters, regardless of application.

To get things to top of file listings, I've historically used spaces before the filename myself. I'm not sure if that'll still work in 10.4, though.

ed
doctype
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
... Dangerous ones on Macs include slashes (they're path separators on OS X!) and colons (they're path separators on HFS!)

Confusion! On my Mac, it seems to be the other way around. "/" denotes a directory in Terminal (and is therefore STRENGSTENS VERBOTEN as name), and Mac OS X refuses to let type ":" into a folder's or file name. Are you living south or north of the equator? Cool
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject:

LemonAid wrote:
Lorinda wrote:

Live long and prosper.
Also remember that different characters mean different things in Windows, Macintosh, and UNIX Operating Systems. Best to avoid characters that may cause a problem in any of the three.

I use the underscore "_" character (or 2 or 3) to sort items to the top of a directory.
Most of the time I try to avoid using (to many) spaces " " too. Especially in User Names & Passwords

Philip (confused in all three Operating Systems! Wink )

If it hurts doing that - DON'T DO THAT. Shocked

Consider using only a limited extensions to ISO 9660 approved characters in file/folder names: either case Alpha, digits, and underscore "_".
Quote:
Joliet is the name of an extension to the ISO 9660 file system. It has been most heavily endorsed by Microsoft and has been supported by all versions of its Windows OS since Windows 95 and Windows NT. Its primary focus is the relaxation of the filename restrictions inherent with full ISO 9660 compliance.
All UCS-2 code points shall be allowed except for the following UCS-2 code points:

* All code points between (00)(00) and (00)(1F), inclusive. (Control Characters)
* (00)(2A) '*'(Asterisk)
* (00)(2F) '/' (Forward Slash)
* (00)(3A) ':' (Colon)
* (00)(3B) ';' (Semicolon)
* (00)(3F) '?' (Question Mark)
* (00)(5C) '\' (Backslash)

Files are moved to so many systems now-a-days that you can't be to careful.
Best to avoid problems and save yourself the headaches Rolling Eyes

Philip ( has to use files on a LOT of different systems Wink )
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject:

doctype wrote:
OPENSTEP wrote:
... Dangerous ones on Macs include slashes (they're path separators on OS X!) and colons (they're path separators on HFS!)

Confusion! On my Mac, it seems to be the other way around. "/" denotes a directory in Terminal (and is therefore STRENGSTENS VERBOTEN as name), and Mac OS X refuses to let type ":" into a folder's or file name. Are you living south or north of the equator? Cool

It's again one of those things depending on whether you're using Carbon HFS-style paths or not Smile On HFS volumes, colons are definitely not allowed since they're the HFS path separators (e.g. you couldn't use them on OS 9).

In HFS, though, you can actually use forward slashes like you could in OS 9...but it's really not a good idea since they are path separators in POSIX style paths (used by Terminal) and in POSIX paths they need to be escaped (preceded by a '\' character) and not all Unix utilities and scripts are good about following the escaped slashes.

Needless to say, that confusion is just in writing code in Carbon vs. Cocoa (or other framework that uses POSIX paths), but because some applications and tools get it wrong it's best to avoid both.

Actually, it's best to follow James' advice on what to avoid. Even Apple has occassionally misinterpreted paths in some of their tools and applications, so it's not like it's an uncommon programming problem given the mismosh of different conventions on OS X Sad

Underscores are usually nicer than spaces since you don't have to escape them in the terminal. Even XCode has gotten this wrong for years when generating command lines and just got the fixes in the latest 2.3 version Smile

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2