Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Error loading BASIC - wth?
Error loading BASIC - wth?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
owenkc
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Error loading BASIC - wth?

Every so often, when I save a NeoOffice document (usually a Writer document, as that's what I mostly use) I get the following 2 messages:

Error loading BASIC of document
file:///Applications/NeoOfficeJ.app/Contents/share/basic/WebWizard/script.xlb/;
General Error
General Input/Output Error

The second message is the same only quoting dialog.xlb rather than script.xlb.

What causes these?

Also, why do I keep seeing NeoOfficeJ appear in my Applications folder?

NeoOffice 2 Alpha 4 Intel on Mac Mini Duo running OS 10.4.7

Cheers,

Dave
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject:

I don't know about the BASIC error, but if you upgraded from NeoOffice/J to NeoOffice 2.0 Alpha 4 (skipping NeoOffice 1.2), then both applications will remain in your Applications folder, as the NeoOffice installer will only install over a "NeoOffice" installation (not NeoOffice/J). If you upgraded to 1.2 in the past, then it's possible that NeoOffice/J has been there since then and you hadn't noticed until recently ...
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject:

Regarding the BASIC error, did you move your NeoOffice out of the /Applications folder after you installed it? Alternatively, was your old installation (pre v2) moved from that folder ever? This may be something to do with importing the old preference files when you installed v2.

- padmavyuha
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject:

NeoOffice 1.2 (the intermediate app you skipped) included some code that would update the evil hard-coded paths in your preferences if you moved something (or if the app was renamed, or the component referenced by the path was removed in the later version of the program, or any of a few scenarios that would cause that error to appear), and NeoOffice 2 also contains some of that code.

However, if the path references some part of Neo/J that does not exist in Neo 2 (or moved somewhere in Neo 2), then the path migration code might not be able to deal with it. To tell the truth, I'm not even sure if the current code still knows how to replace NeoOfficeJ.app with NeoOffice.app in paths; I know Patrick had to spend a lot of time rewriting that code just for the 1.2->2.0 migration, so there's a chance he dropped the 1.1->1.2 bits.

If any of this is the case, you have 2 easy options: 1) delete your current Neo 2 prefs and start over, not letting it import your Neo/J 1.1 prefs or 2) Install Neo 1.2.2, let it upgrade your 1.1 prefs, then delete your Neo 2 prefs and let Neo 2 import your 1.2 prefs. The hard option is to go digging through the prefs files themselves (or the paths section of the prefs dialogue) and manually rooting out bad or non-existant paths....

Smokey

Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:21 am    Post subject:

OK, thanks for the advice.

I have a number of custom dictionaries, which I don't really want to have to rebuild. I presume if I just trashed my prefs then there's no way I could bring them back?

Since I'm running on a MacTel machine I can't use 1.2 as a stepping stone so I presume that means I've got to do it the hard way, does it?

Cheers,

Dave
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:28 am    Post subject:

I didn't notice you had an Intel Mini !

Well, that's really weird, since there shouldn't be anything related to NeoOfficeJ on your machine ... unless you used the Migration Assistant to move your data from a previous PowerPC Mac ?
owenkc
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:35 am    Post subject:

Well, yes, I did use the Migration Assistant - and let NeoOffice pick up all my preferences from version 1.1

But since I trashed the 1.1 prefs file the problem seems to have gone away - for which many thanks.

Dave
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:47 am    Post subject:

Oh, whoa! Confused I posted a reply here that's vanished, or that somehow never actually posted in my poor-connection-blues Sad

It contained the exact lines to remove from the 2 files that were the source of this problem (as well as some head-slapping on my part for missing the fact you went from 10.2 to Intel instead of PPC and posted the path of the error message in the first post Embarassed )....

Anyway, if you want to go back to your migrated profile, just look at the last post in bug 1402 and delete those 2 lines (they'll have NeoOfficeJ.app in them in your case).

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject:

FYI. I found a way to remove these warnings from within NeoOffice using the following steps:

1. Select the Tools :: Macros :: Organize Macros :: NeoOffice Basic
2. In the dialog that appears, press the Organizer button
3. In the dialog that appears, expand all of the macros in the My Macros item and check the path in each.
4. For any items that have a path that does not exist, select the item and press the Delete button.

After doing this, you should no longer get any of these warnings.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject:

Ah, great! That's a much better solution than hacking files manually Smile

Smokey

Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: Retaining Old Versions

I was very interested in this thread because this is the same problem that I have been having. I thought it might have stemmed from the fact that I had retained a copy of NeoOffice 1.2 (renamed it and moved it in a separate folder). I had done this because NeoOffice 2.0 had a bug in a feature that I use extensively and that made version 2.0 of no use to me until the bug was fixed. Early indications are that that bug has been fixed, but I do want to hang on to verion 1.2 as a backup.

This raises the question as to whether keeping an older version around is a good idea and what steps should be taken to do so, so as not to mess up any new installations. Suggestions and comments appreciated.

Bill
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Retaining Old Versions

bdahm wrote:
This raises the question as to whether keeping an older version around is a good idea and what steps should be taken to do so, so as not to mess up any new installations. Suggestions and comments appreciated.

Generally, moving or renaming NeoOffice 1.2.2 or newer *should* be OK, as Patrick implemented some code to detect a changed installation and loop through all the preferences and update the paths. I don't know the details of when it does the updating (after the first launch?) and there may be more OOo hard-coded paths somewhere.

Smokey

Red Pill

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:17 am    Post subject: Errant Code?

When I look at the path "user name"/Library/... I find NeoOfficeJ-1.1. I also find "user name"/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-1.x as well as "user name"/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-2.x.

My question is, does any of this need to be cleaned up or is it best to just leave well enough alone? Keep in mind that I have retained a renamed copy of NeoOffice 1.2.2 as a fall back.

"Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject:

You can trash the NeoOfficeJ one; the others are used by NeoOffice 1.2.2 and NeoOffice 2.0, respectively Wink

See this article in the wiki (and the linked "Uninstalling NeoOffice") for more.

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1