· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Clipart Package: Phase 1V, V, VI or whatever
Clipart Package: Phase 1V, V, VI or whatever

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:22 am    Post subject:

Their mail servers are automagically detecting that your email is sent from a machine with NeoOffice installed on it and invoking their cloaking devices! Wink

Andy.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject:

amayze wrote:
Their mail servers are automagically detecting that your email is sent from a machine with NeoOffice installed on it and invoking their cloaking devices! Wink

LOL Laughing

Nefarious mail servers strike again!

Smokey

The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Back on topic

aussie149 wrote:
I'm getting back onto topic now Wink Re the clipart package. I investigated the Hungarian option. I don't think this will suit us. What Kami is working on is a big package with fonts, icons and kitchen sink etc. all packaged up with OpenOffice.org in his case. I think this is much more than we were aiming at. What we were looking to do was provide a package which could be easily installed, and which contained only about 500-600 images, with appropriate licensing, attractive, useful and a good coverage of basic needs, with an installer. So, back to start.

Peter
Peter, et al,
If you want to see some of the problems/concerns with putting together a larger package of clipart - check out this thread where Kami's "OpenOffice.org Premium 2.0.3" gets more ... flames than praise
http://www.openoffice.org/servlets/BrowseList?list=dev&by=thread&from=1486030

It's a shame that there are so many complaints for such a lot of ... effort (Hmmmmm - Sound familiar! Rolling Eyes )

That's is why I agree with Ed & Patrick's ideas that nothing goes into the (Clipart) package that does not have direct, written proof that it's fuly Public Domain and/or all claims released.
Someone will Always complain / sue / flame.... sigh

Philip ( As the American saying goes: "Some people would complain if you hung them with a "new" rope" Confused )
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Complaints

hi Philip

Thanks for the link. Lovely to have critics, eh? I'd say what we have learnt so far is to stick to a fairly small group of sources, which we know to be "safe". In the package we have so far, all of our clipart comes from openclipart.org [I know you know this, Philip: this is for other folk] so we know
a. that all have the appropriate licences
b. if anyone wants to complain about the map of whatever country, i guess they can complain to openclipart.org

We need a few photos to add lustre to the package. Photos will be less likely to get the sort of complaints that KAMI got, so our main criterion there needs to be that we are sure of the licences.

Crikey, I think the response is: if you don't like it, don't use it. Without wishing to be offensive to any zealot reading this, I'm sure it's safe to assume that we won't be sued because we have a map in a clipart package. Sheesh! Laughing

Peter

Smile
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject:

G'day Peter,

Glad you were interested in the information. I really appreciate your efforts on this task. I'm glad that we were able to use such quality clipart from openclipart.org. Wonderful that this resource was available!

Even I was a bit suprised at the level of complaints the Kami's package got. Shocked
I agree with you about "Don't like it, don't use it!"

Philip ( " Some ... People! " Rolling Eyes )
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject:

Sigh, more silly stuff?
http://marketing.openoffice.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=dev&msgNo=24354

I like Peter's idea of small individual bundles ( Clipart, Templates, whatever).
Then individuals can make the choice and you don't have to deal with so much ... overhead.

Philip ( Work hard, Work for free, Make a great contribution, ... gather flames for your efforts? sigh Wink )

\ reminds me WHY I try to avoid office/project politics Rolling Eyes
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:21 am    Post subject: Daniel Carrera

I thought I recognised the name of that correspondent: Daniel Carrera contributed a number of the openclipart images, and is mentioned here , for example. I guess we go into this with our eyes open. If it works, great. If not, we tried - and maybe we helped in some unseen ways Smile Is that called optimism?

Peter
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject:

It was VERY interesting to learn about the history of another effort. Seems that other folks have had the same ... good idea.
It seems true that "too many cooks spoil the broth". (Phrase) With so many people involved in each decision it's hard to get anything ... done. sigh Rolling Eyes

I'm sure that our efforts have not been in vain. Each attempt gets us (OOo Community) closer to the goal.
One of the things I have learned at work / big-business is to take a good idea, develop it best you can, package it, and make it available. Someone WILL use it!

Philip ( doing the best he can, in his own small way! Wink )

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:50 am    Post subject:

Hello!

I have released New Version of OxygenOffice Professional (Originally OpenOffice.org Premium)...

You can read more here:
http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=666046

Also we have extension packages these can be opened via package manager after OpenOffice.org version 2.0.4. These are simple zip files packed with a descriptor file, so it is unpackable and installable manually (if Neo doesn't support non coding packages)...

You can read more here:
http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=666045

I agree with you if you want create one smaller package for the best cliparts. I hope I can help you to do this. Also you can always upload it to ooop.sf.net site.
Our current clipart collection contains more than 3200 elements (recently I added some 3D gfx created with OpenOffice.org) in various themes. Please check it and share your opinion with us. Also we divided the packages into two separated collection, one for free elements other for freely usable elements. So galleries without non-free term in its filename are really free... This is also apply to templates where we have English, German, Hungarian, French, Intalian language packages... I hope you find it usefull...

Best regards,
KAMI
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject:

So this is very interesting. I am just about ready to freeze the NeoOffice 2.1 code and since Neo 2.1 uses the OOo 2.1 code plus ooo-build plus odf-converter 1.0, OxygenOffice's clipart has always held my interest but I didn't want to take the time to untangle the clipart from your build.

However, since you have an OOo extension, I would think that I could preinstall your extension as a share extension in the Neo 2.1 installation. What do you think? The only issue for me is how much size this would add to the Neo 2.1 download.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Edit: Uh oh. Are the extension files really 210 MB? If so, maybe bundling all those extensions might not be realistic.

Patrick

Last edited by pluby on Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:03 am; edited 1 time in total
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am    Post subject:

And regardless of what others may say, continue on your work to make a good extension to OOo. While as Patrick said we're nearing a milestone ourselves, this is very interesting.

I strongly believe anything that helps end-users is a benefit. Being unrestricted by the politics of OOo, I'm quite eager to incorporate any license-compatible work that helps users at large Smile

ed
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:

Edit: Uh oh. Are the extension files really 210 MB? If so, maybe bundling all those extensions might not be realistic.

Patrick

Well, the clipart and photos appear to be 55MB zipped. The photos are in categories,which is good for NeoOffice/ OpenOffice.org themes.

Kami, I notice that some of the photos are of Australian wildlife and outback landscapes in Australia. Do these have GPL or public domain licences? That has been an issue raised here in the past.

Maybe it could be possible to do a much smaller collection that could fit in software releases - a sort of "Premium Lite" [I know, sounds like beer Very Happy]

Regards
Peter
[Kami: contacted you previously on OpenOffice.org forum Smile]
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:

Patrick

aussie 149 wrote:
Well, the clipart and photos appear to be 55MB zipped. The photos are in categories,which is good for NeoOffice/ OpenOffice.org themes.

210 MB really isn't realistic. Even 55 MB seems a lot. But, we could let NeoOffice users know about the extensions (and that they are compatible with NeoOffice 2.1) ...
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject:

Samwise wrote:
210 MB really isn't realistic. Even 55 MB seems a lot. But, we could let NeoOffice users know about the extensions (and that they are compatible with NeoOffice 2.1) ...

We could probably also mirror their extension for them if they need it.

Also, since it appears that OxygonOffice is uing the Novell ooo-build code just like NeoOffice 2.1. I am curious if they included the OpenXML support that Novell added as well. By default, the ooo-build won't add in the OpenXML support but it is a minor change to do so.

IMHO, there is a good chance that in about 3 months or so, there will be a sudden wave of docx files floating around after all those new Office 2007 users reaches critical mass. If that happens (and I expect it to), there are going to be a lot of OOo users of Windows and Linux who are going to be stuck if OOo does not have any OpenXML support.

If the OxygenOffice guys are interested in adding ooo-build's OpenXML support to their product, I encourage them to post a new topic in our NeoOffice Development forum and I will be happy to guide them through how I got the OpenXML stuff to work.

Patrick
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject: OxygenOffice Professional

Seems to me that people may want to populate their new 2.1 NeoOffice with a more complete set of pictures. I was working on a smaller set, with a more consistent quality of image, but I had not worked out how/where this might be hosted. Kami has solved that by being hosted from sourceforge.

As mentioned above, the OxygenOffice Professional set of clipart is of the order of 60MB, so it's not for dialup I'm afraid. If you would like to check this out, here are some instructions. I did this the hard way at first, before I found Extension Manager. Lastly, I can't guarantee that all of these are totally public domain, although I know that most certainly are. I'd suggest you not use any for commercial purposes unless you know that it is able to be so used.

To install the OxygenOffice Professional (OOOP or O2OP) galleries provided by Kami

Go to:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=170021&package_id=208656
Download OOOP-2.1.0-3-gallery.oxt [This is actually a zipped file, but don't unzip it, although you would find that Stuffit Expander or similar could unzip it.]

Load NeoOffice. Start a new document. Go to Tools > Extension Manager... and select it. You will find a window opens. Select My Extensions and Add.. Navigate to the package: OOOP-2.1.0-3-gallery.oxt. This should get the package installed automagically. That's it, really.

[Later edit: if you find that some of your themes have Hungarian names, or if you want to change the theme name to something that means more to you, go over the page to my next contribution]

There are also template files which you can download [lots of templates, inc some nice Impress ones] at that sourceforge page. Install using the same Extension Manager to My Extensions. Not sure whether installing a new version of NeoOffice would break these links, so I'd keep the .oxt file in a safe place.
And there are font and examples files in collections elsewhere on the linked sourceforge pages.

Peter

Last edited by aussie149 on Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4