Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Working with QuarkExpress and InDesign
Working with QuarkExpress and InDesign

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoyFocker
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Working with QuarkExpress and InDesign

Interesting. Today I worked on a text and saved it as .rtf
Only for «proove» I "import" the document on a new project of QuarkExpress 6.5 (now only i'm using InDesign). All the «spanish» characters (accents and «¿») was change.
I did the same thing on InDesign (no «import» but «place»: is the same thing but the program uses another terms) and no changes on the spanish characters, but bold and italic was lost and some allignments on the titles.

Any idea? The way of using fonts? Styles?
Thanks for your help!
RoyFocker
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject:

One more thing: I copyed some text from Quark and pasted it into a new NeoO doc and the spanish characters come bad:

El monotelismo fue condenado por el concilio de Letrá?°n (649). El tercer concilio de Constantinopla (681) renovó?? y explicitó?? mayormente la condena. Este concilio asume los té?©rminos de Calcedonia y afirma luego que en Cristo hay “‚Äúdos voluntades naturales y dos operaciones naturales, sin divisió??n, sin cambio, sin separació??n, sin confusió??n”‚Äù. Las dos voluntades naturales no se oponen la una a la otra, porque la voluntad humana sigue sin resistencia ni oposició??n a la voluntad divina omnipotente. La divinidad de Cristo en vez de suprimir la voluntad humana la salvaguarda.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject:

One of the problems may be that OOo/Neo tend to use Windows encodings for foreign characters. This is most likely the source of the problem when exchanging with Mac apps. I don't have any ideas on how to fix it offhand, however, as I've never forced encodings myself.

ed
RoyFocker
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject:

Ed: So, if a use an .ttf in Mac, will work?
Opening the rtf with word2004 Evil or Very Mad and doing any change (v.gr. adding a space character) and saving the document (not "save as" but only "save") works perfectly in InDesign (in QuarkExpress come a double character any time that there are spanish characters) [Jacqueline, if you are reading this, can control if the accents in French have the same problem??? Thanks!]
If I use "Times New Roman" in NeoO, save in .rtf and open with word2004 Evil or Very Mad the font is "Times New RomanPS" (in NeoO only "Times New Roman). Select all, and convert to the font "Times New Roman" or "Palatino Lynotype" works better in Indesign but not in Quark (one more reason to leave Quark, je, je, je...)

I will proove it on my pc windows Wink
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject:

RoyFocker,

OPENSTEP wrote:
One of the problems may be that OOo/Neo tend to use Windows encodings for foreign characters. This is most likely the source of the problem when exchanging with Mac apps. I don't have any ideas on how to fix it offhand, however, as I've never forced encodings myself.

In other words, Quark apparently has a big bug and can only handle a small subset of the possible character encodings that can be put in an RTF. Since RTF is a standard file format, this is clearly a bug in Quark.

Patrick
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject:

RoyFocker wrote:
[Jacqueline, if you are reading this, can control if the accents in French have the same problem??? Thanks!]

Sorry, I just see your post. I have neither Word, nor Quark Express, nor In Design. But I have had problems with LaTeX files (format .tex), and I found a workaround. It's wikied here in French

http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/Fr:Conversion_de_fichiers_non_encodés_en_UTF-8
There is an English version, if you prefer.

I don't know if it will help you ? Hope so Smile

Jacqueline
RoyFocker
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject:

Thanks (sorry, Jacqueline, since as you said that have many macs I guess that you work with pre-print).
Patrick: I save the document on *.doc and works perfectly in Quark. Rolling Eyes but I didn't have the last version of this program (only 3.3, 4.0 and 5.0 for "Classic" and 6.5 for MacOS Tiger) to see if this "bug" remain in 7.0.

Well, if we want to use NeoO for "pre-print" works:
1. Save the document as *.doc if you use "QuarkExpress"
2. Save the document as *.rtf if you use "InDesign"
3. Save the document as *.odt if you use (or want to use an open source program...) "Scribus" Wink

Roy
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject:

We might consider turning this tip into a little wiki article....

Smokey

Oracle

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject:

Ok. I will proove now with "styles" on files and see the quark fora to ask some information about the "bug".
Thanks!
Roy
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1