Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Can Neo Office do a translation of Word 2007 .docx files?
Can Neo Office do a translation of Word 2007 .docx files?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leo
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:43 am    Post subject: Can Neo Office do a translation of Word 2007 .docx files?

Can Neo Office do a translation of Word 2007 .docx files into standard RTF files? Question

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject:

WTH is a .docx file?! Looks like billy is up to his old tricks again. Another hurdle to full compatibility...
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject:

.docx is the extension that has been assigned to the new OpenXML file format from Microsoft. This format will be used by Office 2007 on the PC (which I believe right now is only available to enterprise customers).

For maximum compatibility with not only Macs but also other Office users in your business, you really should continue to use the default ".doc" format.

At present, neither OOo nor Neo can open OpenXML formatted documents (Word 2003 XML formats can be opened, however, but those are not OpenXML). Mac Office can also not open OpenXML formatted documents.

Stay tuned for more information about .docx and our evolving plans regarding this file format.

ed
valterb
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject:

Googling I've found this project to do just the opposite: translate odf document to docx ones.
The project is reachable ftom here http://odf-converter.sourceforge.net/
Since this is open source is not probably too difficult to develop what we need.

And this is what Mathias Bauer (mba) - Project Lead OpenOffice.org Writer - write about this topic about 1 months ago.

Valter
Leo
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Wasn't Microsoft on "Monopoly Probation"?

Doen't this break their "play fair" agreement with the Supreme Court.

I mean making a format and using market share force brand complience to ruin competition was the Netscape complaint wasn't it.
TheoCryst
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject:

Well, since the format is technically "open", they may be able to get away with it... at least for now. We'll see how things develop in the future, however.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:01 am    Post subject:

For more information (and in case you don't read the front page), here are our plans Smile

ed
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: 500,000

OPENSTEP wrote:
For more information (and in case you don't read the front page), here are our plans Smile

ed

Ed, I notice the quoted figure of 500,000 downloads per month. Is that way up on last year? I thought I had seen a figure of 125,000pm previously - but that could be my old-timer's disease Smile
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject:

That figure is an roughly the averaged download stats after the free release of 2.0 Aqua Beta. We're about at 500k downloads per month. That doesn't necessarily translate into continual users, of course. We can't track mirrors or multiple hits and need to exclude bots, hackers, zombies, and such from that figure. Given the original stats combined with the download figures for the patches (indicating users who at least pay attention to the upload page and have started more than once!) I think I'd be comfortable claiming our overall user base is about 500,000.

For perspective, in the last public WWDC keynote Jobs estimated the OS X user base at around 19 million.

That means our estimated active user base is nearly 2.5% of all potential Mac OS X users.

We're not competing for scraps. We're playing with the big boys.

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject:

I must say, I nearly fell out of my chair seeing that quote from Michael Meeks. I never thought I'd see the day when he would say something positive about Neo Shocked

Nice to see I've been proven wrong on that Smile

On a related note, does that mean that we're a formal participant in ooo-build and/or that Neo's OOo codebase is now drawn from ooo-build rather than directly from OOo?

Smokey

Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:16 am    Post subject:

If you can't wait for NeoOffice 2.1, there a widget that will translate .docx documents to HTML :

http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/calculate_convert/docxconverter.html

http://docx-converter.com/
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject:

Samwise wrote:
If you can't wait for NeoOffice 2.1, there a widget that will translate .docx documents to HTML :

http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/calculate_convert/docxconverter.html

http://docx-converter.com/

I think I remember seeing a commercial one noted on macworld news that does RTF exchange as well. There are solutions available for people but none that will be directly embeddable into either MS Office or editing applications for a while.

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
On a related note, does that mean that we're a formal participant in ooo-build and/or that Neo's OOo codebase is now drawn from ooo-build rather than directly from OOo?

Our main codebase is drawn from the Linux/Solaris/Win32 release builds of OpenOffice.org. After we get the main OOo code we now pull down additional code from ooo-build (not all of it, but some). ooo-build is similar to Neo in the sense that we both develop using "patches" to the main source code of OOo (but with slightly different methods...they use diffs, we use the module overrides).

Patrick and I have committed to working with ooo-build and integrating the patches required to make OpenXML and VBA function on Macs (and any other general fixes to these features) back into ooo-build. Eventually this Mac support will be upstreamed to OOo through ooo-build's own upstreaming process. While I don't think we can claim that we're doing anything "formal" with ooo-build since that's up to them, we definitely are participating and they've been receptive to Patrick's patches and have been giving us excellent engineering feedback Smile

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1