Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Bugzilla: closing inactive bug reports
Bugzilla: closing inactive bug reports

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Bugzilla: closing inactive bug reports

I started "poking" old open bugs the other day, but stopped because I wasn't sure which "resolution" tag to use for bugs where the original poster has not responded to requests for more information.

Let me know, and I'll go back to working on the older open bugs, so we can thin down the list a bit.

Lorinda
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject:

Go ahead and use WORKSFORME. The standard meaning of that in bug-wrangling is two-fold: either you tried the steps provided and things worked fine, or there was insufficient information provided and after exhausting all efforts, you still could not find a bug.

Patrick and I (though I've been behind of late) usually use a phrase like "Since there has been no update in several months, we can only assume that installing the latest patch has fixed this bug" when closing.

If you're feeling particularly generous, you can also tell the reporter that if the bug still exists after installing the latest patch and he/she can provide the requested info, he/she may reopen the bug. Wink

Smokey

Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, Smokey! I got at least a few of them closed tonight!
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject:

Ok, next question: how long do we wait before closing "inactive" bugs? I've either closed or "poked" all but two "unconfirmed" bugs with "last modified" dates in 2006.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject:

If they hadn't been poked before and you just poked them now, I'd wait a week before closing.

Thanks for all your poking/closing Smile

Smokey

Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:42 am    Post subject:

Happy to help. It's one of those things I can do with little snippets of time.

I wasn't clear with my question, though. I was meaning to ask should I go on an start closing bugs with no changes/comments since early January. I can see where I wasn't clear, though.

FYI, I closed any bugs over a month old where the original poster had not responded to a request for more information. If the original poster was the last one to comment on a bug, I "poked" it by asking if the behavior was still occuring.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject:

Sorry I misunderstood. Recent bugs (≤ 1 month) I would poke once more before closing (and prompt them to get patch-12 if they aren't running it), and then give them a week and close. The more recently-filed, the more likely we are to hear back....

Smokey

Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject:

'Twasn't your fault....my question could be read either way. The only way to know which I meant was to read my mind!

Thanks for the guidelines on more recent bugs. It may be a few days before I get back to poking the more recent ones, but it did feel good putting so many old ones to bed. I got responses to a few of the older ones, which was also nice.
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:
Thanks, Smokey! I got at least a few of them closed tonight!
Bless you, Bless You, BLESS YOU (both!) Laughing Very Happy Laughing

Another problem area being cleared up. The Neo Community contains some ... GREAT people. I try to check Bugzilla once in a while to test and/or duplicate bugs. It did not dawn on me that old / obsolete bugs could be closed (by mere mortals! Shocked ).

Philip ( I did not know you could do ... That! Rolling Eyes )

\. Amazing Community contributions:
\\ New Icons, New Wiki pages, New Languages in Wiki, Bugzilla purging, and M O R E Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject:

Yes, people helping clean bugzilla and prescreen bugs is really really helpful, even if it's the simple "can you upload a document that shows the problem?" or closing the old ones. Bugs just take a lot of time to read and process. Thanks to everyone lending a hand!!

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1