Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Using Fields without a data document
Using Fields without a data document

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Using Fields without a data document

Here's what I want to do:

I'm creating a new template for a wedding liturgy. I want to create fields for Bride's name, Groom's name, etc. so that when I creating an order of worship for a particular wedding I can create a new document based on the template and tell Neo to enter the appropriate names in the field locations.

I'm familiar with how to use fields in form letters, when I have a "database" to work with, but in this case I won't have a "database." I want Neo to ask me for the values of the fields when I create a new document from the template.

In the past, I've handled this without fields, putting the "variable" text in outline (font) style, and then doing a global find and replace for each "variable." But I have to believe there is an easier way to do this, using fields.

I've looked in the OOo manual, the StarOffice manual, and the wiki and haven't found an answer. All the same, if I missed it, I'm happy to have someone just point me to the right spot.

Thanks!

Lorinda
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject:

I think I found the answer in this thread. in the OpenOffice.org forums.

Once I've tried it and know it works for what I'm wanting to do, I'll try to wiki it for us.
revsmitty
Keymaker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:
I think I found the answer in this thread. in the OpenOffice.org forums.

Once I've tried it and know it works for what I'm wanting to do, I'll try to wiki it for us.

Lorinda,
Thanks for the pointer to the OOO forum. That is something I've wanted to do but hadn't figured out how. It took me a few attempts to get it right but I was able to adapt my Wedding & Funeral Bulletin & Service templates so that I only had to put in the names one time when I first opened the template.

Galen
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject:

I'm glad you found it helpful. I haven't actually got the wedding ordo done yet, any pointers on what I should avoid or make sure I do?
revsmitty
Keymaker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject:

Here are the steps I followed
In a new document (or in a template)
1. Choose Insert:Fields:Other (cmd+F2)
2. Choose “User Field”
3. In the name box at the bottom of the window type in the name of the field you want to create: for example Namefield1
4. Click on the green check mark
5. Repeat steps 3 & 4 for as many fields as you wish to create.
6. Close the window.
7. Proceed to enter text into the document.
8. When you reach a spot where you want to enter a field choose Insert:Fields:Other (cmd+F2)
9. Choose “Insert Field”
10. Select the field you wish to enter: for example Namefield1.
11. You may leave the box labeled Reference at the bottom of the page empty or you may put in some identifying information.
12. Click on the Insert button
13. An Input Field window will open and in the lower box you may enter the information you desire to include in the document and click on the OK button.
14. If you are creating a template and wish to change the information each time you open or print the document leave the information in the Input Field window blank and click on the OK button.
15. Any time you insert that field in the document the information you entered into the Input Field window will display/print.
16. If you wish to change the information for a particular Input Field you may
A. Move the mouse over one of the fields and Left click on it. The Input Field will open and you can edit or replace the content in the lower box.
B. Alternatively you can insert that field in another place in the document using Insert:Fields:Other and select the desired field and click on the Insert button. Then the Insert Field window will open and you can change or replace the content..
17. To create a Template choose File:Templates:Save.
A. Now choose File:New:Templates and Documents
B. Select the Template and click the Open Button
C. Now the Insert Field window will open.
D. In the lower window enter the information you wish to display.
E. Click on the Next button to enter information for each of the remaining input fields.
F. When information for all the Input fields has been entered click on the OK button.
18. You may toggle the way the fields display between the Field Name and the content you have entered in your document by clicking cmd+F9.
19. Remember when it is time to print that if you want to print the content that you have unchecked View:Field Names. The print dialog also give you the opportunity to change that if it is checked.

The one area that keeps confusing me is if I don't put some information into the Input Field window it is hard to know the next time I open the template what field I am putting information in as it opens.

For example in a wedding service when I create the field I might name it "Bridefirstname" but that doesn't show up anywhere in the Input Field window. The way around that is to put it in that window when you create the document in the first place then when you re-open the document you have the opportunity to replace the information.

Galen
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1