Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - How to force Neooffice NOT to use os x spell check
How to force Neooffice NOT to use os x spell check

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gust
Councilperson

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: How to force Neooffice NOT to use os x spell check

There have been some questions around about making Neooffice use the os x spell check, but in my case I want to do the opposite, which seems unanswered as of yet.

The case is the following: for the Dutch language I have three dictionaries which are technically compatible with Neooffice:
  • one provided by Apple included with os x, which is everything but official spelling
  • an aspell list made available through cocoAspell, which is somewhat better than the Apple one
  • an openoffice list made available by the Opentaal project, this list is the best one available since it is certified to comply with the official spelling rules

By default, Neooffice does not use the Opentaal list given that an os x provided dictionary is available. For an unclear reason, Neooffice avoids the better one of both and sticks to the list by Apple.

Anyway, what I want to do now is make Neooffice use the Opentaal list, which I installed using the wizard. I hoped that I could subsequently make Neooffice forget about the os x provided services by deleting the corresponding lproj file (nl.lproj), but unfortunately this doesn't work.

Does anyone know a solution to this problem?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Since the Opentaal dictionary is usually mapped to the "nl_NL" locale and, by default, Mac OS X has no dictionary registered for and "nl" locales, I suspect that cocoASpell is inserting itself in the native spellchecker.

Does disabling cocoASpell's Dutch dictionaries and restarting NeoOffice make Opentaal work?

If not, there is a hacky way to get NeoOffice into using your OOo spellchecker:

1. Quit NeoOffice
2. In the dictionary.lst file that you added the OOo spellchecker to, copy the existing line that maps to your spellchecker file and append the copied line onto the end of the file
3. Replace the "nl_NL" in the copied line with a locale that you are sure that neither Mac OS X or cocoASpell have inserted into the native spellchecker.
4. Restart NeoOffice and change the language of your document to the new locale that you have inserted in the dictionary.lst

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
If not, there is a hacky way to get NeoOffice into using your OOo spellchecker:

As Patrick notes, that solution is hacky, since it will break all the functionality that behaves according to language (e.g., smart quotes).

I wonder if it's possible to convert the OpenTaal MySpell dictionary into an Aspell dictionary and plug it in via cocoAspell...?

Smokey

Councilperson

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Since the Opentaal dictionary is usually mapped to the "nl_NL" locale and, by default, Mac OS X has no dictionary registered for and "nl" locales, I suspect that cocoASpell is inserting itself in the native spellchecker.

Does disabling cocoASpell's Dutch dictionaries and restarting NeoOffice make Opentaal work?

Disabling the cocoAspell dictionary doesn't help.

At least on my install of Mac OS there is a Dutch dictionary provided by Apple ("Nederlands"). And I'm pretty sure that this is the dictionary used by NeoOffice, as I came along a word that is misspelled only in the Apple list (the verb "downladen") whereas it is spelled correctly in Aspell and Opentaal ("downloaden").
Gust
Councilperson

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
As Patrick notes, that solution is hacky, since it will break all the functionality that behaves according to language (e.g., smart quotes).

I agree on that.
sardisson wrote:
I wonder if it's possible to convert the OpenTaal MySpell dictionary into an Aspell dictionary and plug it in via cocoAspell...?

I've suggested that solution to the Opentaal team, but they don't seem to get around with it.

But this wouldn't solve the problem anyway, considering that NeoOffice favours the Apple provided dictionary over cocoAspell and there doesn't seem to be a way to change this behaviour.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1