Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Fatal crash on opening this document...
Fatal crash on opening this document...

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
superwoman
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject: Fatal crash on opening this document...

http://bohr.physics.hku.hk/~phys1313/Lecture_Notes/98ma07np.doc

The error message is:
"CGColorSpace.c:223: failed assertion `cs->shouldFree'
Abort trap"

NeoOffice/J 0.8.3, Panther.
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:31 am    Post subject:

Same here - NO/J 0.8.3 aborts (without any error message) during the loading of the document and Console.app has the following:

CGColorSpace.c:223: failed assertion `cs->shouldFree'

I don't have MS Office installed to check the file... does this cause any issues in MS Office as well?

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:50 am    Post subject:

I get the same crashing behavior when I open this file on Panther. However, it opens without a problem on Jaguar. So, it seems that this file bumps into a Panther-specific Java bug.

Debugging this is not hard but it might be timeconsuming so if anyone can help try the following steps, that would be a big help:

1. Open the file in NeoJ on Jaguar (it will take 2 - 3 monites to open) or with OpenOffice.org 1.0.3, delete the first page, and save the file.

2. Try to open the file in NeoJ on Panther. If it crashes, repeat step 1.

After doing this, let me know which pages you deleted. That will help me debug the code.

Thanks,

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:21 pm    Post subject:

Well, After deleting most of the document, I found the crashing stops after I delete most, but not all, of the OLE objects in the document.

I still don't know why this causes Java to crash, but I thought that I'd share what I have found so far.

Patrick
superwoman
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:37 am    Post subject:

JKT wrote:
I don't have MS Office installed to check the file... does this cause any issues in MS Office as well?

For info, I'm using a Test Drive version of Office 2004. Word opens the file okay.
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: OLE objects cause crash

pluby wrote:
Well, After deleting most of the document, I found the crashing stops after I delete most, but not all, of the OLE objects in the document.

I still don't know why this causes Java to crash, but I thought that I'd share what I have found so far.

I haven't downloaded the document in question, but there are known problems with OLE objects in OOo versions prior to v1.1.0 (and there are still known problems to be fixed in OOo 2.0 or later).

This may not be your specific problem, but you may want to look at :

http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=16015

Regards, Terry
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:10 am    Post subject:

If the file is a Word 2004 file, this too may be an issue if there were changes from Word X to 2004 the filters may not work 100%.

-j
superwoman
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:59 am    Post subject:

I'm not the originator of the document, but I don't believe it's a Word 2004 file. I just happen to be using Word 2004 to see if the file opens okay.

On another note, imcompatibilty with OLE is okay, but at least it should die/fail gracefully.

For info, I tried opening with AbiWord 2.1.<something>, Mac version. It didn't crash, but the mathematical equations did not appear. Perhaps I was expecting that kind of behaviour.

So is it a 1.0.3 code base problem, or a Java problem?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:37 am    Post subject:

superwoman wrote:
So is it a 1.0.3 code base problem, or a Java problem?

After lots of debugging yesterday, I figured out where the crash is occurring and I believe that the problem is a bug in Java 1.3.1. This bug seems to only show up when you upgrade to Mac OS X 10.3.4. NeoJ has no problems opening the document on Mac OS X 10.2.8.

My guess is that the 10.3.4 upgrade changes the behavior of a system library that Java 1.3.1 depends one. What is interesting is that the crash is being caused by Apple's code invoking the abort() function which shuts down NeoJ.

Now that I know where this is occurring, I am working on ways to avoid the code that causes this problem. Look for a patch in the next week or so.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:28 pm    Post subject:

I finally found the cause of the problem!

I have created "patch-1" for NeoJ 0.8.3 and the patch at the following URL:

http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/download.php#install

Let me know if you still have problems opening the document with "patch-1".

Patrick
superwoman
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject:

Great work! Although the maths symbols are not imported properly, at least no crash.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject:

superwoman wrote:
Although the maths symbols are not imported properly, at least no crash.

Though strangely enough at least some seem to appear fine in TextEdit (I guess; this is way beyond my math knowledge!)...but pasting into NeoJ turns them into boxes again. Selecting the Symbol or Greek keylayout (I had to open a new document before they became active for some reason) and the Symbol font one can then type some of them, though the font seems to switch back to Times New Roman on entry and must be switched back to Symbol again...bizarre.

(And now I can't turn the Greek layout off, so maybe some of this is just my Mac....)

Last edited by sardisson on Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: Importing Math symbols

superwoman wrote:
Great work! Although the maths symbols are not imported properly, at least no crash.

Again, I don't know the specifics of your document, but there are known problems with importing and displaying Math symbols (not my area of expertise).

Here is a bug report to look at :

http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=11756

If you are interested you can do your own searches for OLE/Math related bugs (a search I did for OLE bugs returned 400 results) :

http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/query.cgi

Regards, Terry
amake
Sentinel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject:

That document was the perfect example of using the wrong tool for the job. LaTeX would have been an infinitely better choice. Maybe you (the original poster) should suggest that to the professor (or whoever).
superwoman
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:33 am    Post subject:

amake wrote:
That document was the perfect example of using the wrong tool for the job. LaTeX would have been an infinitely better choice. Maybe you (the original poster) should suggest that to the professor (or whoever).

You missed the point of my post. This is a testing forum. It's not about the which tool for which job. It's about a fatal crash condition, which this document just happens to precipitates. I thought I should report it, so that NeoOffice/J can iron out another kink.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2