· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - File :: Recent menu with no open windows
File :: Recent menu with no open windows

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: File :: Recent menu with no open windows

The second major new feature - display of the File :: Recent and other menus when no windows are open - announced in our plans for 2008 is now available for testing.

Now when you close all NeoOffice documents, you will see several menus that you would normally see in OpenOffice.org's empty default window such as the various File, Options, and Help menus.

The empty default window (the one that you see when you select the File :: Close menu in OOo) still exists, but it is only 1 x 1 pixels and is hidden behind the Mac OS X menubar. If you use Exposé to display all windows, you will see the window as a tiny white dot in the top left corner of your screen.

You can test these new features by installing the following test patch:

PowerPC:
http://jane.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.2-Patch-10-Test-1-PowerPC.dmg

Intel:
http://jane.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.2-Patch-10-Test-1-Intel.dmg

Edit: replaced original Patch 8 links with Patch 9 links.

Patrick

Last edited by pluby on Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject:

Works fine so far with intel in 10.5.1. Very nice addition.

- padmavyuha
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject:

One thing that I forgot to mention was that up until this test patch, the File :: Exit menu did not work correctly and behaved like the File :: Close menu.

In this test patch, the File :: Exit menu now behaves as documented and will quit the application just like Command-Q or the NeoOfffice :: Quit menu will.

Patrick
miggs
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject:

Seems to be working fine so far! Very Happy

Of interesting note, when there are no windows showing NeoOffice behaves correctly with Spaces.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject:

miggs wrote:
Of interesting note, when there are no windows showing NeoOffice behaves correctly with Spaces.

Smile That is because the 1 x 1 pixel window is not resizable. For some reason, Apple's Java and Spaces bug only affects Java windows that are resizable.

Patrick
miggs
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:56 am    Post subject:

I suppose you couldn't just keep that window on 'screen' all the time until Apple fixes the Spaces bug? Very Happy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject:

miggs wrote:
I suppose you couldn't just keep that window on 'screen' all the time until Apple fixes the Spaces bug? Very Happy

Nope. Unfortunately, the way Apple implemented spaces, there is no way for a window to know which space it is in. The problem is that spaces aren't separate screens. Instead, they are implemented like transparent slides over the same screen. So, in essence, all windows think they are on the same screen.

Patrick
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:37 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
One thing that I forgot to mention was that up until this test patch, the File :: Exit menu did not work correctly and behaved like the File :: Close menu.

In this test patch, the File :: Exit menu now behaves as documented and will quit the application just like Command-Q or the NeoOfffice :: Quit menu will.

Patrick

I'll see if I can find the bug, but at some point in Bugzilla this was filed as a bug, and you (IIRC) closed as Not a bug. You said that NeoOffice > Exit should behave like Exit in OpenOffice.org: close all open windows, but not the application (under Windows, that would leave the Quickstart open) Question
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:55 am    Post subject:

Samwise wrote:
I'll see if I can find the bug, but at some point in Bugzilla this was filed as a bug, and you (IIRC) closed as Not a bug. You said that NeoOffice > Exit should behave like Exit in OpenOffice.org: close all open windows, but not the application (under Windows, that would leave the Quickstart open) Question

The bug is bug 1063 which I have reopened and marked as fixed.

IIRC, the QuickStart functionality and the File :: Exit menu just did not work well together since I was suppressing the creation of the blank default window so I had to make File :: Exit act like File :: Close.

Now, however, I no longer suppress creation of the blank default window so the OpenOffice.org menu behavior does not need to be tweaked to keep the QuickStart menus displayed.

Patrick
rpatrick
Councilperson

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:51 am    Post subject:

I've been looking forward to this addition - it works with no problems as far as I can tell.

Excellent!
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject:

Having installed this test patch, I am finding that my spreadsheet windows keep disappearing. After inserting a chart when I click on the sheet the window disappears. Pressing expose keys reveals an extra 1x1 window in the top left of the screen.

Quitting NeoOffice prompts to save the vanished spreadsheet and no data is lost.

Anyone else seeing this?

Andy
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject:

amayze wrote:
Having installed this test patch, I am finding that my spreadsheet windows keep disappearing. After inserting a chart when I click on the sheet the window disappears. Pressing expose keys reveals an extra 1x1 window in the top left of the screen.

Quitting NeoOffice prompts to save the vanished spreadsheet and no data is lost.

Anyone else seeing this?

Andy

I can confirm this behavior, on Intel and PPC in 10.5.1

Jacqueline
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject:

jgd wrote:
amayze wrote:

Anyone else seeing this?

Andy

I can confirm this behavior, on Intel and PPC in 10.5.1

Jacqueline

This is now Bug 2903 in bugzilla.

Andy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject:

FYI. Since I just released NeoOffice 2.2.2 Patch 9, I have posted a new test patch called Patch 9 Test 1 so that users can reinstall the official Patch 9 after installing the latest test patch. I also included the fix for bug 2903 in the new test patch as well.

I have replaced all the links in this forum topic to point to the latest Patch 9 test patch so as new visitors to this topic don't get missing links.

The new test patch can be downloaded from the following URLs:

PowerPC:
http://jane.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.2-Patch-10-Test-1-PowerPC.dmg

Intel:
http://jane.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.2-Patch-10-Test-1-Intel.dmg

Edit: updated Patch 9 links to Patch 10 links
Patrick
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject:

Hmm....

Mac Intel 10.4.11. Neo Patch 10 test 1.

Launch Neo. New untitled doc opens as normal. Close window using cmnd-W, File>Close window or clicking on red traffic light top-left.

At this point, cmnd-N (for new document) does not work although cmnd-O opens a file picker menu and cmnd-Q successfully quits Neo.

Cmnd-, also successfully opens the Preferences but subsequent Cmnd-W fails to close the window and instead first use places the cursor in the Tel. (Home/Work) field in the User date Options window opened by the Cmnd-, shorcut and each subsequent use of Cntrl-W enters a 'w' in that field.

Cmnd-N only works if I have "activated" the menu bar by clicking on it somewhere (not necessarily dropping a menu) or used one of the other viable cmnd-* shortcuts above. After clicking anywhere on the menu bar, cmnd-N works but if I subsequently close this new document by any of the methods as described above, cmnd-N again does not work.

I think there's a bug but I'd like someone to verify this behaviour in relation to the cmnd-N and Cmnd-, shortcuts beforehand.

I've been away awhile but I hope these observations this evening help.

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3