Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Page Number footer offset problem
Page Number footer offset problem

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TanyaMurray
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Page Number footer offset problem

Hi. I'm using 2.2.3, trying to create a series of chapters for a book, each starting on a different page number, and then running sequentially. I don't want to get involved with master documents.

I have set up the footer correctly, each doc opens with the footer auto number from page 1 to whatever, correctly. When I set the offset (say, '4' to make page 1 of the doc show as '5') the first two pages renumber correctly. After that, no subsequent numbers display, though selecting 'Field Names' shows 'PageNumber' correctly positioned on *all* pages.

Monkeying around with different left and right pages doesn't help. What gives?

If I insert a page break with start page offset before the text, all the subsequent pages *do* number correctly, but that leaves me with an unwanted and wrongly-numbered blank first page at the start of the doc, and I can't manually insert running numbers into the footer without ending up with them all reading the same.

I'm thinking seriously of just pasting a stand alone text box onto the doc at the foot of each page and manually entering every page number, which will be murder if I have to chop text later.

Am I doing something really dumb? Is this a bug? Is there a workaround? Urgent advice appreciated.

Tanya
K-9
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject:

I am working on some articles and a book too, although very slow and am curious as to any replies to your situation.

I have not worked on that element yet; but I have been thinking about setting this up asap. I have also thought about possibly setting things up manually in whatever layout manner I come up with.

This seems to be either a problem or just seems difficult in many of the writing Apps out there. I have seen many people run into issues with page numbering, and formatting etc. Very curious to see what other possible alternatives there are to work with this situation.
TanyaMurray
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Problem solved by ditching NeoOffice

Hi,

I've had to revert to OpenOffice on PC to solve this, but I'm hoping someone can come up with a Mac friendly solution. Interestingly, OpenOffice as is exhibits the same problem, but a great extension called Pagination by Charles Brunet (http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/node/374) fixed the problem instantly, so I'm reverting to PC to finish this project. I've emailed him to ask if he'll do the same fix for NeoOffice - here's hoping the people in charge take note. Meanwhile, I'm still hoping for a Mac solution...

Tanya
K-9
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject:

Good for you! I only use Macs though.

Last edited by K-9 on Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject:

Have you tried to install Pagination in Neo? Many (but not all) OpenOffice.org extensions will work in Neo.

You may also find This wiki article helpful.

Lorinda
K-9
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject:

Just curious, how do you install these things in Neo? I have never done anything like that before. I tend to just use Neo as is. Thanks Lorinda.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject:

K-9 wrote:
Just curious, how do you install these things in Neo? I have never done anything like that before. I tend to just use Neo as is. Thanks Lorinda.

More info about installing extensions and this extension in particular is in this forum topic.

Patrick
K-9
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Patrick. I did not see that post before. I guess it will not work but how did you get it to work for you in Neo? Knowing what you know you are able to tweak or change stuff to make it work. Is it possible to change the 2.3 to 2.2 somehow for someone basic like me. I hope I am asking clearly what i am trying to ask.

OR do I just wait until he tweaks his extension?

thank you!

Sorry to be a pain.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject:

I changed the version requirement by creating an empty folder and unzipping the .oxt file in that folder. Then, I replaced all "2.2" references in the description.xml file and rezipped the files into an .oxt file.

Patrick
K-9
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject:

Ok - I am not sure I am that swift to do it even with your help.

I write the guy to see what he could do - so far no response.
K-9
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject:

I tried to do it - not sure what I did as such and I tried to add it - it shows that it is enabled. does this mean it works? how do you pull it up to use it in a document now? sorry for being so freakin dense!

Thanks Patrick! You are incredible! As they say - 'You da Man!'

it seems to have installed under My Extensions - when I tried to add it Neo's it was not possible.

-------------------------------------------

Patrick - I set in Page the footer ticked the box.
footer shows. I insert a page number and it shows up left side of footer - center it to show in center of footer. Does this mean that this pagination extension that I tweaked worked? I did try to follow your instructions.

Thanks again!
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject:

I have no familiarity with the Pagination extension so I cannot tell you if it works or not. All I did was get it to install using the Tools :: Extension Manager menu.

Patrick
K-9
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject:

Ok - I appreciate everything you have done so far. It is enabled and it does seem to do something so I guess it worked then. Much appreciated! Thanks Patrick!!!
K-9
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:57 am    Post subject:

This is what I received from the creator this A.M.

Hi!

The minimum OOo version is 2.3 because this is the first OOo version
of OOo that supports localization of dialog boxes. This is why I
cannot lower the minimum OOo version. Otherwise, it should works just
fine on OOo 2.2. I don't use any special API calls that aren't in that
version of OOo. What I suggest to you is to manually change the
minimum version of your local copy of the extension.

Charles Brunet.

I am still in a quandary as to how to access it though.

Thanks!

I tried posting the changes i did and it doesn't allow the paste of what I have from the pagination .xml file on this forum
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:59 am    Post subject:

To actually use the extension, you need to assign it to either a keystroke or a menu or toolbar item.

For example, as a keystroke, if you installed it under My Packages, you'll need to navigate in the Keyboard dialogue to NeoOffice Macros::User::Pagination::Pagination and choose Main in the Function panel and assign that to a keystroke.

- padmavyuha
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3