Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - soffice is rw- instead of rwx !
soffice is rw- instead of rwx !

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riccardo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:36 am    Post subject: soffice is rw- instead of rwx !

Hi,
I just downloaded the latest 1.1.2 for macosx x11. I installed x11.app then open office.
As the Start OpenOffice.org.app did not launched (crash immediatly with no crash log), I tryed manually. and found this :

- the program/soffice.bin, soffice, and pagein files where not executable, while the script try to launch them. I changed the access to 755
- the library did not have the good name : libsal.dylib.3.1.0 instead of libsal.dylib.3 required (and 8 others like this). So I made a soft link.
- then the soffice launches and crashes with a "bus error" (launched from x11 terminal), so I tried to log as root and launch as root.
- the message is now "Can't open display" so I set DISPLAY="localhost:0" / export DISPLAY
- idem cannot open display localhost:0

So my question is : did I forget something when installing (why all these program not executable ? and why the libraries have bad name ?), Finally is there anything easysier, I'm a developper, imagin a simple user !!!

Thanks for any info
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: soffice is rw- instead of rwx !

Riccardo wrote:
Hi,
I just downloaded the latest 1.1.2 for macosx x11. I installed x11.app then open office.
As the Start OpenOffice.org.app did not launched (crash immediatly with no crash log), I tryed manually. and found this :

- the program/soffice.bin, soffice, and pagein files where not executable, while the script try to launch them. I changed the access to 755
- the library did not have the good name : libsal.dylib.3.1.0 instead of libsal.dylib.3 required (and 8 others like this). So I made a soft link.
- then the soffice launches and crashes with a "bus error" (launched from x11 terminal), so I tried to log as root and launch as root.
- the message is now "Can't open display" so I set DISPLAY="localhost:0" / export DISPLAY
- idem cannot open display localhost:0

So my question is : did I forget something when installing (why all these program not executable ? and why the libraries have bad name ?), Finally is there anything easysier, I'm a developper, imagin a simple user !!!

Thanks for any info

Perhaps having a little knowledge is a dangerous thing Wink I find no need to change anything in the OOo installation to make it work. I suggest we find the real cause of your crash (before you started changing things) first.

You need to provide a lot more information about your hardware and software configuration, if we are to help you further.

If I might ask one question - are you using Italian as your primary language in Mac OS X? I am currently investigating a strange problem related to the OOo installation by an Italian user, and I would like to see if there is a pattern.

Re the crash - I find it unlikely there is no crash log, unless you have CrashReporter turned off. Perhaps you should look in both "/Library/Logs/CrashReporter" and "~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter" for any relevant logs, and paste the LAST entry of any such log, here.

Regards, Terry
Riccardo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: soffice is rw- instead of rwx !

Thanks for your reply.

My mac is a G4 dual processor macosx.3.4 with lot of disk and memory. It is an english version, even if I use french as common language (I'm french actually). But I always prefer english versions.

So I started again. I removed the OpenOffice folder and installed again.
After reinstallation of open office, it seams to work with no effort. I would be glad to make other tests, I think that the installer installed things needed by open office, I could not find what and how to uninstall.
I tried to launch Uninstall app and reinstall, but it work now.

Give me an email I'll send you the soffice.bin crash log (that I found Smile )!
It is an EXC_BAD_ACCESS at 0x000 (sort of NULL pointer) in libcppuhelpergcc3.dylib.3
By the way, I looked at the libraries .dylib* , all the soft links are now present. Maybe the previous install did stop before the end.

Thanks a lot.

Terry Teague wrote:

Perhaps having a little knowledge is a dangerous thing Wink I find no need to change anything in the OOo installation to make it work. I suggest we find the real cause of your crash (before you started changing things) first.

You need to provide a lot more information about your hardware and software configuration, if we are to help you further.

If I might ask one question - are you using Italian as your primary language in Mac OS X? I am currently investigating a strange problem related to the OOo installation by an Italian user, and I would like to see if there is a pattern.

Re the crash - I find it unlikely there is no crash log, unless you have CrashReporter turned off. Perhaps you should look in both "/Library/Logs/CrashReporter" and "~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter" for any relevant logs, and paste the LAST entry of any such log, here.

Regards, Terry
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: soffice is rw- instead of rwx !

Riccardo wrote:
My mac is a G4 dual processor macosx.3.4 with lot of disk and memory. It is an english version, even if I use french as common language (I'm french actually). But I always prefer english versions.

So I started again. I removed the OpenOffice folder and installed again.
After reinstallation of open office, it seams to work with no effort. I would be glad to make other tests, I think that the installer installed things needed by open office, I could not find what and how to uninstall.
I tried to launch Uninstall app and reinstall, but it work now.

Give me an email I'll send you the soffice.bin crash log (that I found Smile )!
It is an EXC_BAD_ACCESS at 0x000 (sort of NULL pointer) in libcppuhelpergcc3.dylib.3
By the way, I looked at the libraries .dylib* , all the soft links are now present. Maybe the previous install did stop before the end.

It is hard to say what the problem was, but an incomplete install would be a likely cause, as there is a script that gets run that does things like fix the permissions and create symlinks etc.

I don't need the crash log. Glad it is working for you now.

Regards, Terry
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:49 am    Post subject:

Riccardo -

did the installer crash on you? The permissions and soft links that you describe as missing are created by the "fix_ooo_installation.sh" script that should be run during installation. It almost sounds like it didn't execute properly on your computer.

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1