Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Impress embedded 'issues'
Impress embedded 'issues'

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EliW
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Impress embedded 'issues'

Long time OpenOffice/NeoOffice user ... long time Impress user.

Just ran into TWO issues today that were brand new to me:

1) Made a presentation ... and suddenly some of the images in it (not all), are somehow 'linked' instead of 'embedded'. IE, if I copy the presentation file to another computer, it complains of the files not existing. How did that happen, and how can I fix it?

2) Similarly, This was my first presentation with lots of embedded video. After embedding it all, I went to check the filesize, and it hadn't grown. I copied the file to another computer, and yup, the video doesn't exist, it was linking it in only instead of embedding it.
Is there a way for me to embed it directly instead of linking it in?

3) As a followup to 2 ... if I can't, not, link it. Is there at least an easy way for me to change the file it's looking for? Right now, it's looking for the graphics from an 'odd' directory. If I have to leave them 'linked', then I might as well make sure that hte files all live in one directory, so that I might be able to gzip it or something to distribute them. But it seems that changing that would be a major understaking. Any easy way to tell it that "All Video are now in X directory" Or even just a way to right-click on a video and chose a new source, without having to delete, insert, resize process.

Thanks!
Eli
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Impress embedded 'issues'

EliW wrote:
1) Made a presentation ... and suddenly some of the images in it (not all), are somehow 'linked' instead of 'embedded'. IE, if I copy the presentation file to another computer, it complains of the files not existing. How did that happen, and how can I fix it?

If it is a regular image and not video, click on the image and select the Edit :: Links menu. In the dialog that appears, press the Break Links button and the image will become embedded.

If you insert new images, select the Insert :: Picture :: From File menu and make sure that the Link checkbox is unchecked. Then, future image insertions should be embedded.

EliW wrote:
2) Similarly, This was my first presentation with lots of embedded video. After embedding it all, I went to check the filesize, and it hadn't grown. I copied the file to another computer, and yup, the video doesn't exist, it was linking it in only instead of embedding it.
Is there a way for me to embed it directly instead of linking it in?

3) As a followup to 2 ... if I can't, not, link it. Is there at least an easy way for me to change the file it's looking for? Right now, it's looking for the graphics from an 'odd' directory. If I have to leave them 'linked', then I might as well make sure that hte files all live in one directory, so that I might be able to gzip it or something to distribute them. But it seems that changing that would be a major understaking. Any easy way to tell it that "All Video are now in X directory" Or even just a way to right-click on a video and chose a new source, without having to delete, insert, resize process.

Unfortunately, it appears that NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code provides no way to change the location of the video file. So, the only option is to delete the video and reinsert it from the new location. Sad

Patrick
EliW
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Impress embedded 'issues'

pluby wrote:

If it is a regular image and not video, click on the image and select the Edit :: Links menu. In the dialog that appears, press the Break Links button and the image will become embedded.

If you insert new images, select the Insert :: Picture :: From File menu and make sure that the Link checkbox is unchecked. Then, future image insertions should be embedded.

Thanks! Fixed it right up. Of course I'm still unsure they ever did get inserted as links in the first place. Odd.

pluby wrote:
Unfortunately, it appears that NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code provides no way to change the location of the video file. So, the only option is to delete the video and reinsert it from the new location. Sad

Patrick

Boo. Very boo especially after having spent alot of time sizing them just right/etc.

At least can you tell me if it does them as 'relative' links, or absolute?

IE, if I redo them all from copies of the movies that happen to live inside the same directory as the presentation ... then can I move that whole directory around and everything still work? Or is it going to always be looking for something ala: //library/eli/clips/ ??
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Impress embedded 'issues'

EliW wrote:
At least can you tell me if it does them as 'relative' links, or absolute?

IE, if I redo them all from copies of the movies that happen to live inside the same directory as the presentation ... then can I move that whole directory around and everything still work? Or is it going to always be looking for something ala: //library/eli/clips/ ??

I just tested this and if both NeoOffice and OpenOffice.org use relative links. Even if the videos aren't in the same folder as the Impress file, they will be found as long as you preserve the relative path. So you may be able to avoid deleting and reinserting them if you can copy the videos to with the file and put them in the same relative path.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1