Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Spreadsheet note points to wrong cell.
Spreadsheet note points to wrong cell.

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oilburnerfixer
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:51 am    Post subject: Spreadsheet note points to wrong cell.

I have a spreadsheet in which some of the cells had notes inserted. When I put the notes in, they pointed to the relevant cell. I resorted the spreadsheet to get the names column in alphabetical order, then I noticed that the notes pointed to a cell 7 below the cell that contained the note. I looked at more notes and found that the distance from the relevant cell varied with the position on the sheet.

Not all cells in the column have notes.
Note in row 6 - pointing correct.
Row 26 - pointing 1 row down.
Row 48 - 2 rows down.
Row 61 - 3 rows down.
Row 91 - 4 rows down.
Row 117 - 5 rows down.

The lowest note is in row 381, and the arrow points 17 rows down.

I could reposition the note box and resize the box. I could not move the arrow head, I had the mouse cursor over the blue square at the head, when the cursor would show a grey square associated with the cursor arrow. When I pressed the mouse button, the grey square remained, but when i moved the mouse, selection immediately went to the cell, so any dragging resulted in a black range of selected cells.

How can I get the note arrows to point to the correct cells again?

I have attached an unsorted and a sorted file to show the problem. The sheet from which these files are generated showed the notes arrows pointing to the correct cells in all cases. When I pasted the cells into the TestOriginal file, the position error is already beginning to show. It is more pronounced in the TesTSorted file. It almost seems as if the display row height for the notes is greater than the row height for the data.

(The "mouse" is really a kensington orbit optic trackball).

The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:44 am    Post subject:

Well there's good news and bad news about this problem.

The good news is
  1. There's a work around
  2. The problem's been fixed
The bad news is
  1. The problem is in the underlying OOo code on which NeoOffice is based
  2. The fix is scheduled to be released as part of the OOo 3.1 release when it comes out
  3. This will take some time to work out into NeoOffice 3 (which in its Early Access 2 version is based on OOo 3.01).

The Issue is described here.

The work around is to to select the affected cells (which happily for you are all in one column - so you can simply select the entire column) then copy them all and paste them all. This puts the notes in the correct location. It does however resize them so in some cases not all the text is shown. This can only be dealt with manually as far as I can tell by selecting the affected cell, choosing Insert>Note which then allows you to edit the note size.
oilburnerfixer
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:09 am    Post subject:

Is this really the same problem?

If you look at the notes in TestSorted, you should see how the arrows are displaced.

I have tried copying and pasting, but the arrows do not change their position. I have tried inserting a note in the row below all the used rows, and the arrow points to a cell below the one in which I put the note. It does this as soon as I click Insert Note.

The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:54 am    Post subject:

I'm not seeing this with your files when screen display is 100%. I can reproduce it if I do a sort or a copy and paste at 75% or 50% display. It seems to be cured by resetting the display to 100% and then back again to the smaller percentage.

Does this work for you?
oilburnerfixer
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:17 am    Post subject:

Many thanks. I had the view at 100% zoom level. so I tried changing it to 150% and back to 100%. Arrows now relate to the correct cell. Now when I copy and paste the column onto itself, I get the notes in the right position as well.

The link you gave to the problem was interesting that resistance to fixing this has been going on for 3 years. Surprising given that these notes are a vital part of running work operations.

PS what was your thinking to get to the zoom level for a work-around?

The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:54 am    Post subject:

By default NeoOffice was opening the documents at 100% and I simply wasn't seeing a problem. I then had to start playing around with different percentages to see the note with the longest arrow in your TestSorted document and the problem briefly appeared (although not in exactly as described in your OP since your sample spreadsheet only has 36 rows of data). I have encountered problems with displaying at different sizes before (and not just with NeoOffice) so I tried various combinations of cutting and pasting and changing the zoom factor.

I think the faulty display of notes arrows is a problem, I found one report (of Issue 93717) which looks like what you are reporting, but it is shown as unconfirmed. Maybe it will have been fixed by all the other tidying up they are doing on notes.
oilburnerfixer
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject:

We can but hope.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1