Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Forum Software with Password Problem?
Forum Software with Password Problem?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mds
Operator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject: Forum Software with Password Problem?

For my forum registration, I chose a 24-character complex and random password and the registration process was completed without any problems. The password, however, was not considered valid when I tried to login right afterwards. I had to request a new password and with the (rather simple) password I received by e-mail, login was no longer an issue.

Has the forum software in use a problem with long and complex passwords?

Martin
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Forum Software with Password Problem?

mds wrote:

There is no limitation that I know of. What happens if you click on the Profile link while logged in, reset your password, logout, and log back in again?

Patrick
mds
Operator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Forum Software with Password Problem?

pluby wrote:
mds wrote:

There is no limitation that I know of. What happens if you click on the Profile link while logged in, reset your password, logout, and log back in again?

I had to use the 'lost password' feature again since my reset password was not accepted.

Martin
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Forum Software with Password Problem?

mds wrote:
I had to use the 'lost password' feature again since my reset password was not accepted.

When I get some spare time, I can look through the phpNuke software that we use for our forums and see if the code is trimming.

Can you send me a Private Message with a sample password that you know does not work that I can use for testing? We use one-way encryption for all passwords so to ensure that nobody (including us) can read any users' passwords.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject:

Thank you for the sample password. I found the phpNuke code that was causing this problem and I have fixed it. The problem was that the login page's HTML set the maximum width of password fields to only 25 characters so web browsers would truncate any additional characters. I fixed it by setting the maximum width to 100 characters which is what is used in the Profile page.

Let me know if this still does not work.

Patrick
mds
Operator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Thank you for the sample password. I found the phpNuke code that was causing this problem and I have fixed it. The problem was that the login page's HTML set the maximum width of password fields to only 25 characters so web browsers would truncate any additional characters. I fixed it by setting the maximum width to 100 characters which is what is used in the Profile page.

Let me know if this still does not work.

I am very sorry I can still reproduce the problem by setting a 24-character password consisting of upper and lower letters, number, minus and underline.

Martin
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject:

mds wrote:
I am very sorry I can still reproduce the problem by setting a 24-character password consisting of upper and lower letters, number, minus and underline.

Can try again? I remember copying my code changes from the Trinity test environment to the production site, but apparently I only updated the production "hot backup" servers and not the running production server.

For anyone who is interesteed, these "hot backup" servers consist of copies of the web code and real-time replicated copies of the production databases that we can switch over to if the main web server goes down and we cannot bring it back up quickly.

Patrick
mds
Operator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject:

The problem is no longer reproducible, i.e. my self-chosen complex password as described above works fine now.

Thank you! Very Happy

Martin
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1