Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Bug Report: Inappropriate error message in Impress
Bug Report: Inappropriate error message in Impress

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LonWright
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Bug Report: Inappropriate error message in Impress

Bug Report: 3.0.1 Patch 3 for Intel Mac
Inappropriate error message when clicking object linked to file that doesn't exist.

Imported PPT file into Impress. Clicking on object with existing hyperlink (to play a movie) shows error message "Could not find a browser on your system....". The path specified in the original link is a relative one, and the file doesn't exist there. My system has two browsers, both installed in the Applications folder, so if it were really looking for one, it should find it. Since Impress plays movies using Quicktime Player, I'm sure the issue is that it can't find the file specified in the hyperlink, and not that it can't find something to play a movie with!

Loren Wright
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject:

Can you attach a sample document that we can use to reproduce this error?

I suspect that this message is being generated by NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code and having a document that will reproduce the error will allow us to determine what is actually occurring in the OpenOffice.org code.

You can attach a sample document using the steps in this forum topic.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject:

I just created a new Impress document and added a hyperlink to a .mov file on my desktop. I saved and closed the file.

Then I moved the .mov file so that NeoOffice cannot find it, reopened my Impress document, and clicked on the link. Nothing happens and no error is displayed.

By default, when you click on a hyperlink, NeoOffice will invoke the following Terminal command:

Code:
/usr/bin/open "URL"

The /usr/bin/open command will then tell whichever application has registered the file extension in the URL to open the URL. Since there are no error messages returned from the /usr/bin/open command, I suspect that Mac OS X or another application is displaying the error.

Can you test my theory by launch the /Applications/Utilities/Terminal command, copying the following command into the Terminal window, typing a space character, copy the URL from your Impress document (Control-click on the hyperlink and select Copy from the popup menu that appears) into the Terminal window, and press the Return key? Does any errors appear?

Quote:
/usr/bin/open

If it helps, here is what doing the above steps looks like in my Terminal window:

Quote:
/usr/bin/open file:///Users/pluby/Desktop/sample_sorenson.mov

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject:

Please ignore my last two posts as I can now reproduce this bug. It only occurs on Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard. It appears that Apple changed the output from the /usr/bin/open command and that output is confusing NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code.

What should happen is that clicking on a bad link does nothing so I will investigate where the OpenOffice.org code is getting confused. I should be able to get this fixed in NeoOffice 3.0.2 that I will release on the Early Access Program download page early next week.

Patrick
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject:

FYI: I have opened bug 3584 to track this issue.

-- fran
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject:

I think that I have fixed this bug and I have included the fix in the following test patch. With the following test patch, clicking on a link to a non-existent file while running Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard will no longer display the inappropriate OpenOffice.org error message.

Can you install the following test patch and tell us if this bug is fixed for you. Please note that you will need to install NeoOffice 3.0.2 Early Access from Early Access Program download page before you can install the test patch:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0.2_Early_Access-Patch-0-Test-9-Intel.dmg
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.6-Patch-3-Test-5-Intel.dmg

PowerPC:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0.2_Early_Access-Patch-0-Test-9-PowerPC.dmg
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.6-Patch-3-Test-5-PowerPC.dmg

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject:

FYI. I have included the fix in NeoOffice 3.0.2 which we released today. Members and subscribers of the current NeoOffice Early Access Program can download NeoOffice 3.0.2 from the NeoOffice Early Access Program download page.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1