· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Enhanced comments in Writer when opening .docx files
Enhanced comments in Writer when opening .docx files

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice New Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Enhanced comments in Writer when opening .docx files

Patrick et al,

We've just had a case where a group of staff and volunteers were working on a document in a mix of platforms with some using MS Word to add their comments.

Unfortunately, our NeoOffice users were somewhat disadvantaged as NeoOffice does not currently support the enhanced comments feature introduced in OpenOffice 3.1+, where comments are listed in a right-hand column:

like this

I've seen that it works in the current release of OpenOffice 3.1 Aqua and hope that this might be a featire that you would be able to introduce in NeoOffice in the near future.

Anyone else prepared to support inclusion for this item, subject to the practicalities of the coding?

Thanks for your consideration.

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject:

FYI. I moved this topic to the New Feature Requests forum so that it will hopefully have a better chance of getting noticed by other NeoOffice donors.

I don't know how much work this would require to backport from OpenOffice.org 3.1.1, but I assume that the code to backport would be self-contained with the Writer module so hopefully it would not require a full upgrade to OpenOffice 3.2.0 to implement in NeoOffice.

So, if we can get a dozen or so donors to post that they also want to see this feature added to NeoOffice, I will start investigation how to backport this OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 feature. I assume that implementing this feature won't be too much more difficult than the Apple dictionary feature request so posts from a dozen or so donors should be enough.

Patrick
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject:

I'm a bit confused here - how are the notes in the above image different from the Note feature in NeoOffice 3.0.1/3.0.2EA?

I'm seeing notes at the right margin right now with the arrow and the dotted line and all. What's missing?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject:

rays,

yoxi's post made me realize that I assumed that in OpenOfffice.org 3.1.1 you could reply to an existing note and that is what you were requesting. However, I tried that and I have no way to reply to an existing note in OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 so I think that my assumption is wrong.

Are you just trying to insert notes in a Writer document? If so, NeoOffice 3.0.1 and higher already have that feature. You insert a comment by selecting the Insert :: Note menu.

Let us know if you are looking for some other feature.

Patrick
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:04 am    Post subject:

Embarassed

It seems I misread the signs and came up with a wrong diagnosis.

This should perhaps be the subject of a bug report rather than a new feature request.

For sake of expediency, I'm sending the document concerned directly to Patrick, given the internal nature of its content.

For the information here, it is a document created in .docx format and includes comments/notes from a number of reviewers.

When imported to NeoOffice, the content of the notes/comments are simply added as paragraphs of text into the body of the document instead of appearing as notes in a right-hand margin. It was this unexpected behaviour which led me to believe that this style of notes display was not yet supported in NeoOffice, whereas it does dispaly and subsequently behaves as expected in OpenOffice 3.1.1 for Mac (including the ability to reply via the drop-downs located in the notes themselves) as illustrated in accompanying screenshots.

So is this a bug in NeoOffice's handling of the imported .docx conversion or a need to update the conversion filter tools that NeoOffice uses, perhaps?

Sorry for the confusion caused and feel free to move/delete this thread from New Feature Requests as it is no longer necessarily pertinent, it seems.

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject:

rays wrote:
So is this a bug in NeoOffice's handling of the imported .docx conversion or a need to update the conversion filter tools that NeoOffice uses, perhaps?

Sorry for the confusion caused and feel free to move/delete this thread from New Feature Requests as it is no longer necessarily pertinent, it seems.

Thank you for clarifying that you are using .docx files. No need to send me a document as once I knew that you were using .docx files, I was able to test this by creating some .docx files with notes in Word 2008. Yesterday I was saving in .doc format and NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 code has no problems importing notes from .doc files.

This is not a NeoOffice bug but a feature that Sun Microsystems' OpenOffice.org engineers did not add until OpenOffice.org 3.1 so your feature request is still valid. I just changed the title of this forum topic to add "when opening .docx files".

So basically I can reword your feature request as the following:

1. Backport the latest OpenOffice.org .docx, .xlsx, and .pptx file import code

2. Backport the "Reply" popup menu item in Writer notes from the OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 code

The amount of work that I think will be required to implement these two features probably is not much different than what I thought it would be yesterday so if we still get a dozen or so donors to post that they want the above features, I will investigate backporting these two features.

Important note: Please be aware that OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 does not save .docx files and NeoOffice uses the OdfConverter code which has very limited .docx saving features. So if we do implement the above features, you will still will need to save to .doc files to preserve the content that you opened.

Patrick
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject:

Hi Patrick,

You expressed my request in much more eloquent and clearer terms!

I hope that it now does reach the required votes as it has become a bit of a "core issue" for us just at the moment.

Thank you for your consideration and, in advance to all that vote for it!

Regards,

Ray

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject:

rays wrote:
I hope that it now does reach the required votes as it has become a bit of a "core issue" for us just at the moment.

I forgot to mention that if donors tell us that they want us to upgrade to the OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 code instead of waiting for OpenOffice.org 3.2.1 to be released, we would get your feature request automatically from that upgrade.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice New Feature Requests All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1