Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Ability to tile multiple Writer document windows
Ability to tile multiple Writer document windows

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice New Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iship
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:22 am    Post subject: Ability to tile multiple Writer document windows

This has probably been suggested before, but I did like the ability to view multiple text documents on one screen, split side by side or piggyback with each other....
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:22 am    Post subject:

You could open multiple NeoOffice windows...
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject:

Your requested feature sounds very similar to the Window :: Tile Windows menu in most Windows applications. Is that the kind of feature you are requesting?

If not, can you describe what problem have document windows side by side solves for you? If we can better understand the problem that you are trying to solve, we might be able to identify an existing feature that solves your problem.

Patrick
iship
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: To Captain Mifune

I have always loved that Gandhi quote! But opening different windows one at a time doesn't do it. On windows you could open multiple windows-- two, three, four, five, even six, and have them all display side by side at the same time. Good for checking out different versions of poems or texts!

Here's to a true western civilization!
iship
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Message pluby

Yes, Pluby, the feature I would appreciate is the ability to open multiple windows, 2,3, 4 or more... and run them side by side on the same screen at the same time. As I posted in my message to Captain Mifune (do I have to use his other name- ovvidc-- for him to be notified?-- I am a writer and this is very useful when comparing different versions of poems or text. Should the developers ever get around to it, it would be a nice feature to include in the word processing program, and one which I miss from my old PC.

Thanks.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject:

I am pretty confident that this is feasible to add a Window :: Tile menu in NeoOffice. However, I suspect that the engineering work to modify NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code to respond not be trivial.

Since our donations only support one full-time software engineer (me), we can only devote our limited engineering time to features that are likely to generate enough new donations to reimburse the NeoOffice project for the time spent implementing them.

Essentially, new features need to be self-funded so we need to see at least 20 NeoOffice donors post that they also want this new feature. If that many NeoOffice donors post that they want this new feature, then we will have a pretty good level of confidence that the new feature will generate the necessary donations and I will then start working on the new feature.

Is this a feature that any other NeoOffice donors want to see added to NeoOffice? If so, please let us know.

Patrick
iship
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: To Pluby

Thanks. My goodness, the only engineer. I kind of figured that this could be a complicated feat of engineering. It certainly isn't important enough to justify your spending a lot of time on it, unless there are a lot of people desirous of this ability. Which probably isn't likely. But I appreciate your inquiry to the larger group. As long as there is a wish list, I thought I would toss this in. I appreciate your work. NeoOffice is a beautiful program.
JP
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:53 am    Post subject:

Hello- I do understand how you decide what new features to add. But I thought I would second this request (18 more people to go Smile ). I am also a writer and many times I miss having a feature where I can have to two documents side by side that can be scrolled simultaneously.

I would also say thank you for your work on neooffice. It's really great.
kithairon
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:09 am    Post subject: multiple views

I have two slightly different wishes along the lines mentioned earlier in this thread. Both have to do with a writer’s needs to compare texts in multiple windows.
I would love (a) a „split-window“-option that enables viewing the same document at two different locations. Alternatively, (b) a „tile-window“-option enabling the slating of differing files would also be great. In my wildest dreams the two are combined—i.e. the „tile-option“ would not just work with different files but also enable slating two different views of the same file.

Have my doubts that we reach the stipulated number of 20 voices – there’s 17 to go yet – but like to thank the devs for their work on a fine application.
kithairon
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: multiple views

kithairon wrote:
....I would love (a) a „split-window“-option that enables viewing the same document at two different locations....

That particular feature request is a significantly different feature than the Window :: Tile menu that we are discussing in this forum topic. We have separated the discussion for that particular feature request and put it into this forum topic.

Patrick
kithairon
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:09 am    Post subject:

Thanks, Patrick. Had a look at the other thread and realised that half of my first wish is already there: The "Window>New window" command actually allows me to open two windows of the same file – which is great. A "split window" option would be neat but maybe the tiling of windows with different files has higher priority (for me it has). Thanks for pointing this out.
cyberoid
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject:

The problem is that there isn't an OO way to do this. If you look over on their forum, you'll see the OO developers are arguing with their users about the need for this function -- not a good sign.

http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=33758

As a professional writer, I can vouch that a side-by-side display is essential for doing good writing. You have to be able to compare different statements as WSIWYG, not abstractly, not in separate windows, and not in your head. I'd be willing to give more to NeoOffice to see this feature prioritized.

Failing that, one can now buy Pages for $9.99, which makes it an alternative. However, once committed to that standard, it's different to go back.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject:

cyberoid wrote:
The problem is that there isn't an OO way to do this. If you look over on their forum, you'll see the OO developers are arguing with their users about the need for this function -- not a good sign.

With your vote for this feature, we are now have 4 donors in favor of it so we only need 16 more donors to vote for it.

Patrick
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:07 am    Post subject:

Okay, +1 from me too.
djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:39 am    Post subject:

Patrick, could you describe how the implementation would function from a user's perspective? The discussion is interesting but I don't fully understand how the feature would work.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice New Feature Requests All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2