Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice incompatible with latest Apple Java (dev) preview
NeoOffice incompatible with latest Apple Java (dev) preview

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:08 am    Post subject:

I think that I have fixed the NeoOffice :: About and NeoOffice :: Preferences menus that were still broken with the latest Java developer preview. Hopefully now all of the breakage from the latest Java developer preview has been fixed.

Can you install the following test patch and tell us if the NeoOffice :: About and NeoOffice :: Preferences menus now work again with the latest Java developer preview?:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.1.1-Patch-2-Test-13-Intel.dmg

PowerPC:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.1.1-Patch-2-Test-13-PowerPC.dmg

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject:

FYI. The fixes to make NeoOffice compatible with the latest Apple Java developer preview have been included in NeoOffice 3.1.2 which can download it from the NeoOffice download page.

Patrick
suzume
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: donation

As promised earlier in that thread, I just made another 50 euro donation. Thank you very much for your hard work.
suzume
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: donation

As promised earlier in that thread, I just made another 50 euro donation. Thank you very much for your hard work.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject:

If you see any other unusual changes in Apple's current or later Java versions, whether it is a developer preview release or an official release via system update, please do not hesitate to post. The changes that Apple made in their latest developer preview really were quite destructive and I am very glad that you reported them when you did so that we could work around Apple's changes before we released NeoOffice 3.1.2.

Patrick
suzume
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Java preview release

I have just installed the latest Java preview release (both 1.6 base/developer and 1.5 base, released a few days ago) and NeoOffice seems to work like a charm.

_But_ for some reason it is not the case on my wife's iMac. I'll install the most recent preview releases there too to see if that makes it. Currently NeoOffice does not even launch. I copied the test build you sent me over the local network so see if that would work but to no avail... I had to install OOo in an emergency so that she can work.

I'll investigate later and will report if something looks weird.

Jean-Christophe Helary
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Java preview release

suzume wrote:
_But_ for some reason it is not the case on my wife's iMac. I'll install the most recent preview releases there too to see if that makes it. Currently NeoOffice does not even launch. I copied the test build you sent me over the local network so see if that would work but to no avail... I had to install OOo in an emergency so that she can work.

That sounds like a crash on startup and may be a different issue. Can you check in her ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter to see if there are any files beginning with soffice.bin? If so, can you attach the newest file?

Patrick
suzume
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: NeoOffice refuses to launch

Ok, so I have updated her Java version to the latest official release (1.6.0_20) and I reinstalled NeoOffice 3.1.2 from a fresh download.

What I get is NeoOffice showing up in the Dock for one second and then disappearing.

I have checked the crash log and nothing appears. I have also tried to launch soffice directly from Contents/MacOS/ and Terminal closes the process right away without displaying any kind of error message.

The only hint that something is wrong is the console log where there is indeed a one line error message:

10/09/08 13:33:54 com.apple.launchd.peruser.502[102] ([0x0-0x30030].org.neooffice.NeoOffice[780]) Exited with exit code: 77

This is the _only_ thing that hints at things not working properly. Plus I have no idea what caused NeoOffice to suddenly stop working on her machine. She usually does not fiddle with the system and the last thing I remember doing there is install a less recent release of Java 1.5, which has been wiped out with the update I did today anyway...
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice refuses to launch

suzume wrote:
This is the _only_ thing that hints at things not working properly. Plus I have no idea what caused NeoOffice to suddenly stop working on her machine. She usually does not fiddle with the system and the last thing I remember doing there is install a less recent release of Java 1.5, which has been wiped out with the update I did today anyway...

Hmm. Is her machine running Mac OS X 10.5.x? If so, NeoOffice will only look for Java 1.5 as we found Java 1.6.x to be very, very flaky in the past on Mac OS 10.5.x.

If she is running Mac OS X 10.6.x, let me know and I will see if I can think of some ways to troubleshoot this problem.

Patrick
suzume
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: NeoOffice refuses to launch

False alert !

She is running 10.6.4 indeed but I remember now that the upgrade from 10.5 was a little fuzzy and I had to manually copy files from the Time Machine backup.

So what I just did is scrap all her old NeoOffice preferences and now NeoOffice starts again. It must have been either a case of corrupted preferences _or_ (more likely) a case of incompatible access rights.

Apologies ! I should have though about that way earlier. Really sorry.

Jean-Christophe Helary
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice refuses to launch

suzume wrote:
So what I just did is scrap all her old NeoOffice preferences and now NeoOffice starts again. It must have been either a case of corrupted preferences _or_ (more likely) a case of incompatible access rights.

I am glad to hear that deleting the NeoOffice user preference files fixed the problem.

I think your assumption of incompatible access rights is right on. I did a "chown -Rf" on my ~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-3.0 folder to change ownership to a different user on my machine and, sure enough, executing soffice.bin from the command immediately failed with an exit code of 77.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2