Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Writer (.odt) document will not print.
Writer (.odt) document will not print.

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GridLox
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Writer (.odt) document will not print.

I have created a Writer (.odt) document which will not print … indeed it won't even appear in the print queue!

Other Writer documents print; individual elements of the document - e.g. text, picture objects, borders etc., will all print if individually transferred to a new document. Indeed up until recently the whole document itself has printed successfully. It is only after the most recent modifications that it wouldn't print.

I have attached a copy to this post in the hope someone can help me rectify the problem.

Many thanks.
GridLox

GridLox
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject:

I was unable to attach the file … at 1.1 mb. it is too big! What do I do? Embarassed
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:48 am    Post subject:

What happens if you either

1) click on te preview button or

2) select to save as PDF from the print window?

This may begin to tell us whether your document is being successfully prepared for printing.

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:57 am    Post subject:

Can you save a copy of the document and remove a few pages of the document until the size is under 1.0 MB?

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:29 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Can you save a copy of the document and remove a few pages of the document until the size is under 1.0 MB?

Before you do the above, I thought of something else you can try. Can you select the Format :: Page menu and in the dialog that appears, click on the Page tab. What is the "Format" set to? Specifically is it set to a standard paper size like "A4" or "Letter"? If not, can you change the "Format" to a standard paper size, press the OK button, and try printing again.

If printing still does not work, then can you try trimming a copy of your document to under 1.0 MB and attach it?

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject:

GridLox,

Since I have not seen any posts since my last post, does that mean that you are no longer having problems printing? If not, can you let us know what results you found when doing the suggestions that rays and I put in our posts?

Patrick
GridLox
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:50 am    Post subject:

Most humble apologies to all; I simply had to get-on with the instruction manual, difficulties with which gave rise to the initial post. Needless to say, the task took somewhat longer than I would have liked.

I shall work through the responses in order.

GridLox
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:10 am    Post subject:

Attached is the offending document … minus 3 pages. It still will not print … either to Canon i550 or Adobe PDF 7.0.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject:

Thank you for the sample document. I can reproduce the problem in NeoOffice and in OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 and 3.2.1 so this is definitely caused by a bug in NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code.

While we normally only fix critical OpenOffice.org crashing and hanging bugs, I believe that this OpenOffice.org bug is a very serious bug so I will start investigating the OpenOffice.org code to see if I can find the cause and a fix for this bug.

Patrick
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject:

FYI: I have created bug 3636 to track this issue.

Fran
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject:

I found the cause of this problem and the good news is that it is not a bug. The problem is caused because someone set your document's printer settings to print only notes. Since there are no notes in your document, nothing prints.

To set your document to print the entire document instead of just notes, do the following steps:

1. Open your document and select the File :: Printer Settings menu.

2. In the dialog that appears, press the Cancel button to close the "sheet" in front of the dialog. Then, select either the "End of document" or "End of page" option in the "Notes" section and press the OK button.

3. Try printing. If printing works, save the document to prevent the problem from reoccurring.

Do the above steps work for you?

Patrick
PGAGA
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject:

Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Interesting. OOo-Dev (3.4) printed even with the notes only setting.

Phil
GridLox
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject:

Firstly I did create a note entry at one stage, but deleted it. When the document would not print, I figured there may have been a problem associated with those actions, and set the Printer Settings for Notes to "None".

Wow! The following may sound a bit tangled, but here goes:

1. Checked initial condition of Print Settings::Notes - Set on "None"
2. Checked that document would not print. Followed suggestions (Print Setting::Notes::End of document), BUT 'saved' first and closed, then re-opened … would not print. Noticed that Print Settings::Notes had reverted to "None".
2. Checked that document would not print. Changed Print Settings::Notes from "None" to "End of page". Document printed. Saved document closed and re-opened it - Print Settings::Notes had reverted to "None", but document still printed.
3. Noticed that "Save" option - whether activated as a keyboard shortcut or from the File menu, had not resulted in the usual 'selected' indication on the toolbar.
4. Opened a copy of the document and checked that it also would not print. Changed Print Settings::Notes from "None" to "End of document". THEN went through File::Save As procedure ("Save" being unavailable); closed document and re-opened. Print Settings::Notes had returned to "None", BUT document printed.

I don't have time to keep on attempting to isolate just at what point the document changes from not-printable to printable. But there does appear to be a problem in the Note facility vis-a-vis printing and the Printer Settings.

Meantime, as I now have a work-around should this problem arise again. I can continue to use NeoOffice … although I will steer clear of using the Note facility.

Many thanks to all concerned … if there is a bug on the loose, I hope you catch and squash it!! Very Happy

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject:

GridLox wrote:
4. Opened a copy of the document and checked that it also would not print. Changed Print Settings::Notes from "None" to "End of document". THEN went through File::Save As procedure ("Save" being unavailable); closed document and re-opened. Print Settings::Notes had returned to "None", BUT document printed.

I think you found the key steps to disabling the "print only notes" setting: you have to get the setting to remain set to "End of document" and then use the "Save" or "Save As" actions.

Once you get the file to saved with that setting, reopening the file will revert to "None", but that is OK because now the setting truly is "None" whereas previously it was set to an invalid value and the dialog merely displayed "None" because the invalid value has no matching item in the dialog. That is why you have to set it to "End of document" or ""End of page" to get this setting to truly change.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject:

I may have found a simpler way to disable the "print only notes" setting:

1. Open the document and make a small change to the document's text so that the Save toolbar button is enabled.

2. Select the File :: Printer Settings menu and in the dialog that appears, press the Cancel button, set the "Notes" setting to "None" if it is set to "Notes only", and press the OK button.

3. Try printing and save if printing works.

For me, the above steps consistently worked to disable the "print only notes" setting. Hopefully the above steps also work better for you than the steps that I posted earlier.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2