· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Browse document
Browse document

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sioban
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Browse document

At first, sorry for my language (I am not sure my question will be understood...)
For a while I meet a problem each time I open a document : for a few seconds I can't reach any page in the document without coming back to the first page. After a while there is no problem anymore (each time I go to page 3, 4,... Neooffice comes back to the first page 1 : if I want to work further in the document I have to wait).
Thanks for your help.

(I think I will post for the last time : I saw you changed the donation amount that allows to post and even I enjoy your software (and even I prefer it to Ooo) 100$ is a lot too much for me.)
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Browse document

sioban wrote:
At first, sorry for my language (I am not sure my question will be understood...)
For a while I meet a problem each time I open a document : for a few seconds I can't reach any page in the document without coming back to the first page. After a while there is no problem anymore (each time I go to page 3, 4,... Neooffice comes back to the first page 1 : if I want to work further in the document I have to wait).
Thanks for your help.

This is actually a symptom of the "menu initialization" behavior described in this forum topic.

What we found in that forum topic is that this is a bug in NeoOffice 3.1.1's underlying OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 code.

This bug does not occur immediately in OpenOffice.org 3.1.1, but it does occur when you click and unclick the Insert menu. What appears to be happening in that NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code is that when the Insert menu is populated, the OpenOffice.org code moves the visible page back to the page where the cursor currently is. So, if the cursor is still on the first page even though you have scrolled down to another page, when this OpenOffice.org bug occurs the visible page will shift back to the first page of the document where the cursor is located.

The reason that it occurs in NeoOffice when you first open the document is that NeoOffice has its underlying OpenOffice.org pre-populate all of the menus in the menubar so that the menus are responsive when clicked. In OpenOffice.org, menus are not populated until they are actually clicked so moving through the menus in the menubar seems to hang at certain points.

The reason that this bug seems to not occur after NeoOffice "settles down" is most likely that you have moved to the cursor to the currently visible page so when you click on the menubar, this OpenOffice.org bug occurs but you do not notice it because the visible page does not change.

Unfortunately, our very limited donations only supports one full time developer (me) so this limits the current scope of the NeoOffice project to keeping a native version of OpenOffice.org running on Mac OS X and fixing any critical crashing and hanging bugs that our users find.

Because of these limits, fixing this OpenOffice.org bug is outside of that scope. But there is some good news: I cannot reproduce this bug in OpenOffice.org 3.2.1 so when we eventually upgrade NeoOffice to that version of OpenOffice.org, we should inherit the fix for this OpenOffice.org bug.

sioban wrote:
(I think I will post for the last time : I saw you changed the donation amount that allows to post and even I enjoy your software (and even I prefer it to Ooo) 100$ is a lot too much for me.)

Please note that NeoOffice donors like you who have donated US$25.00 or more before 2 September 2010 and within the last year will still be able to post support requests. In other words, we will not take away the support services that donors had already earned prior to this change.

More details about why we must "ration" support service through the higher minimum donation are in this post.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject:

FYI. I have moved ovvldc's post to its own separate topic so that this topic remains focused on the scrolling issue reported by sioban.

Patrick
sioban
Red Pill

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject:

Thanks for your reply (even I don't daily use Openoffice I noticed this bug doesn't occur under the last version... so hope !)
(Even I don't reach the amount of 100$ I will go on supporting NeoOffice)

Sioban
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject:

sioban wrote:
(Even I don't reach the amount of 100$ I will go on supporting NeoOffice)

FYI. There is an easy way to test if you have enough donations and, if not, by how much you are short of the minimum donation. Just press the "New Topic" or "Post Reply" buttons.

Either button will calculate the total donations that you are linked to your account and if you have enough donations, then you will see the normal screen for writing your post. If you do not have enough donations, you will see an error that lists the minimum donation required as well as the total donations that you have made during the last year.

If the total donations in the past year is only a little less than the minimum donation, donating the difference will extend your ability to post until your older donations become more than a year old.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1