Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Problems in today's Java 1.6 update
Problems in today's Java 1.6 update

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PGAGA
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Problems in today's Java 1.6 update

Thursday, October 21, 2010

I have had problems with the latest 1.6 update on Snow Leopard with all versions of OOo and its derivatives after 3.2.1 (m19). I installed the 1.5 update and am now using it with all OOo derivatives but NO.

Phil
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject:

PGAGA wrote:
I have had problems with the latest 1.6 update on Snow Leopard with all versions of OOo and its derivatives after 3.2.1 (m19). I installed the 1.5 update and am now using it with all OOo derivatives but NO.

FYI. I am splitting your post into a separate topic as the topic that you posted in is really about Mac OS X 10.7 development planning.

As for your Java problems, could you describe on the issues that you see? I cannot fix problems that I do not know about and I only know of the issues with an application's About, Preference, and Quit menus which I fixed in the NeoOffice 3.1.2 release.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject:

Also, if you can do the following steps, this will help us start troubleshooting the problems that you see:

1. Launch the /Applications/Utilities/Console application and then launch NeoOffice. Do any messages get added in the Console window? If so, can you copy them into your reply?

2. Launch the /Applications/Utilities/Terminal application, copy the following command into the Terminal window, press the Return key, and paste the output into your reply:

Code:
find ~/Library/InputManagers /Library/InputManagers -type d

Patrick
PGAGA
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject:

What I was saying was that NO 3.1.2 was the only version with which I did not have trouble.

Are you asking me to check because you are working on a 3.2 release?

Phil
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject:

Ah. I now understand. I think that I misread your post and assumed that you found a problem that we missed when we were testing with Java developer preview that preceded this Java update.

It is very, very good news that you are not seeing any problems after the Java update. Please let us know if you notice any new unexpected behavior with the new Java update. Although we fixed the application menu bugs that showed up in the developer preview, I don't doubt that Apple sneaked in other changes that might inadvertently break NeoOffice.

Patrick
PGAGA
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject:

This link has more detail of what I experienced.

http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=35179

The Java 1.6 is working fine with both Polarbar Mailer and MuCommander - which are two programs I use constantly.

The OOo builds I test show, when trying to set the java option, that 1.6 64 bit and 1.6 32 bit try to start but fail.

It may be something unique to my system. I shall see by responses I get.

Phil
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject:

I don't know about the other two applications, but if you right-click or Control-click on the OpenOffice.org icon in the Finder and in the popup menu that appears, select the Show Package Contents options, you can navigate to the Contents/basis-link/ure-link/share/misc/javavendors.xml file. In that file, you will see the following line:

<minVersion>1.5.0</minVersion>

Change that to the following, save, and restart OpenOffice.org:

<minVersion>1.6.999</minVersion>

My thinking is that Oracle's OpenOffice.org developers don't actually test their own software on Mac OS X 10.6 and just assume it will work as the above is the change (one of many) that we had to make in NeoOffice to support Java 1.6 on Mac OS X 10.6.

Patrick
PGAGA
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject:

Friday, October 22, 2010

That did not work, but the link posted here did.

1.6 worked up until the last update.

Phil
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject:

PGAGA wrote:
That did not work, but the link posted here did.

1.6 worked up until the last update.

While their workaround may work, but it is worrisome that they are recommending that users mess with the Java system folders instead of just changing their Java loading code (like we did years ago) to properly load a specific Java version. Hopefully their workaround does not break any other Java-based applications.

Patrick
PGAGA
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject:

Friday, October 22, 2010

I agree. I had hoped that the OS X fix that was in the latest 3.3 build but it was not. My experience with the python fix for EuroOffice dictionary suggests that it will not appear until 3.4.

Phil
PGAGA
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject:

Friday, October 22, 2010

I spoke too soon. The linkage would allow the Java to be found, but the program failed to start on restart.

Phil
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject:

PGAGA wrote:
I spoke too soon. The linkage would allow the Java to be found, but the program failed to start on restart.

Just to confirm, NeoOffice is still working correctly regardless of whether you added the Java softlink and only OpenOffice.org is still having problems, right?

Patrick
PGAGA
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:01 am    Post subject:

Saturday, October 23, 2010

pluby wrote:
Just to confirm, NeoOffice is still working correctly regardless of whether you added the Java softlink and only OpenOffice.org is still having problems, right?

Patrick

Right. And, this is something new with update 3. I tested OOo 3.1.1 and it has the same problem of not being able to find 1.6.

Phil
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:35 am    Post subject:

FYI for users still using NeoOffice 3.0.2: I have backported our Java fixes in NeoOffice 3.1.2 and released NeoOffice 3.0.2 Patch 6 so that NeoOffice 3.0.2 also works properly with the recent Apple Java update.

Since the "check for updates" feature in NeoOffice will lead you to the NeoOffice 3.1.2 download page, NeoOffice 3.0.2 users should ignore that feaure and download NeoOffice 3.0.2 Patch 6 directly from this patch download page.

Patrick
PGAGA
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject:

Thursday 28 October 2010

The one advantage of this 1.6 update 3 problem is that it has provided a great opportunity for promotion of NeoOffice.

Phil
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1