NeoOffice :: View topic - Ruler Oddity
Ruler Oddity

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Ruler Oddity

NeoOffice 3.1.2 patch 4, OS X 10.6.6

If I open one Writer document, I get a ruler that looks like the Short Ruler screen shot: the areas outside the writing area are a different color, and 0 starts at the left margin.

If I keep that document open and open two more, the third document's rulers look different. They are white all the way across the window, and 0 starts at the left corner of the window, even if the "paper" doesn't extend that far, as shown in the other screen shot (long rulers).

It doesn't matter which particular documents I open, the pattern is consistent.

If I go to the View menu and uncheck "Ruler," then check it again, the ruler shows up as "short."

Lorinda
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject:

I can reproduce this bug as well and since it does not occur in OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 or my Go-oo build, it is definitely a NeoOffice bug.

I have created bug 3650 and I will investigate the cause. I suspect that it might be caused by the fix for this OpenOffice.org bug that I backported from the OpenOffice.org 3.2.1 code.

When I have a fix for this bug, I will post a test patch for you to try.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject:

I think that I have fixed this bug. My assumption that the fix for this OpenOffice.org bug that I backported from the OpenOffice.org 3.2.1 code caused this bug was wrong.

Surprisingly, this bug was caused by our new, Lion-compatible copy and paste code. Apparently, the Writer code calls into the copy and paste code when opening a new document and our code was sending the Writer an unnecessary "you are not the owner of the content on the system clipboard" notification. Strangely, this unnecessary notification causes the OpenOffice.org Writer code to stop laying out the rulers. Even after 8 years of working on NeoOffice, the relationships between different parts of the OpenOffice.org still surprises me.

Can you install the following test patch and tell us if the bug is fixed for you?:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.1.2-Patch-4-Test-8-Intel.dmg

PowerPC:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.1.2-Patch-4-Test-8-PowerPC.dmg

Patrick
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject:

Patrick,

Something appears to be wrong with the Intel test patch. When I run it, it appears to run normally. But Neo won't start afterwards. I tried installing patch 4, and that installer told me that NeoOffice wasn't found on my hard drive.

I went back and reinstalled Neo 3.1.2, then patch 4. That all worked fine. Running the test 8 patch installer again had the same result.

So I'm back to patch 4, no tests patches for the moment. Thankfully I keep the "old" installer dmgs, so reinstalling "from scratch" was no big deal.

Lorinda
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:
Something appears to be wrong with the Intel test patch. When I run it, it appears to run normally. But Neo won't start afterwards. I tried installing patch 4, and that installer told me that NeoOffice wasn't found on my hard drive.

Are you running Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard? If so, I can reproduce this. Yesterday I fixed an error message that our patch installer generates only on Snow Leopard and that is causing the Mac OS X installer to remove files from /Applications/NeoOffice.app that are not in the patch! Although you can fix the situation by reinstalling the NeoOffice 3.1.2 and the latest official patch, that Mac OS X installer tool before is very nasty and I post a patch with the original installer code in a few minutes.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject:

Here is a respin of the last test patch that does not cause the Mac OS X installer tool to remove any files in /Applications/NeoOffice.app while still fixing the "obsolete file format" error that the installer tool was writing to the Console log.

Can you install the following test patch and tell us if NeoOffice launchs and the original bug that you reported is fixed for you?:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.1.2-Patch-4-Test-9-Intel.dmg

PowerPC:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.1.2-Patch-4-Test-9-PowerPC.dmg

Patrick
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject:

Yes, I'm on Snow Leopard. Test patch 9 seems to have fixed things. If I open a lot of documents at once and switch between them, the new window starts with a "long" ruler, but within a second or two it shifts to the "short" variety. I'm guessing that's just drawing time, and not a bug.

Lorinda
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:
Yes, I'm on Snow Leopard. Test patch 9 seems to have fixed things. If I open a lot of documents at once and switch between them, the new window starts with a "long" ruler, but within a second or two it shifts to the "short" variety. I'm guessing that's just drawing time, and not a bug.

Your guess is correct. In OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 (the version that NeoOffice 3.1.2 is based on) there is a slight lag after opening a Writer document before the rulers resize to match the page margins.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:11 am    Post subject:

FYI. The fix for this bug has been included in NeoOffice 3.1.2 Patch 5 and NeoOffice 3.2 Beta.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1