Versions implementation

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice New Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject:

OldStevenick wrote:
Tested again with another Calc document and it only took 15 seconds.

I am only seeing save times of 10 seconds or so with a spreadsheet that has about 1000 rows and 50 columns and what I noticed is that if I change the print scaling settings, the time to save can be very slow.

So in your slow document, can you select the Format :: Page menu and in the dialog that appears, click on the Sheet tab, and check what the "Scaling mode" setting is set to? I found that when it is set to "Reduce/enlarge printout", PDF generation is several times slower than when either of the other settings are used. Do you see similar results? Note: each sheet can have its own scaling settings so you need to do the above steps for each sheet.

Patrick
OldStevenick
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:36 am    Post subject:

It was set to Reduce/enlarge printout 100%

Changed to both other options....

Save time was 50 seconds, so a lot faster, but still very slow.

I tried disabling other things on that preference pane, no difference.

Removed all borders, no difference.

Removed all background color fill no difference.

Removed split screen choice no difference.

Will keep testing.

Thanks.
OldStevenick
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject:

Could be something about that spreadsheet.

I have another more complex one with charts, still has borders, colors, etc. Only 223Kb. After changing the Sheet menu as you suggested save time is less then 10 seconds.

Cool.
OldStevenick
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject:

Little by little I deleted everything from that spreadsheet and even blank it's taking 25 seconds to save. I've attached it to this post.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject:

OldStevenick wrote:
Little by little I deleted everything from that spreadsheet and even blank it's taking 25 seconds to save. I've attached it to this post.

Thank you for the sample document. Interestingly, for me saving takes less than a second.

This makes me think that one of the user preference settings, not document settings, is causing the slowness. If you select the Tools :: Options menu and in the dialog that appears, select the NeoOffice Calc item, do you see any preferences that you might have changed at some point?

Also, is the Tools :: Cell Contents :: AutoRecalculate menu checked? If not, does checking it make any difference in save speed?

Patrick
OldStevenick
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject:

i reopened the test and it took less then a second for me too.

The undo buffer probably confused my testing. At some point in my deleting things from that spreadsheet the offending content probably was deleted.

I checked the options you suggest, but nothing - and remember it's just this worksheet.

I'm going through another step by step delete things, save, close, reopen to see what I can find.
OldStevenick
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject:

Still testing, but attached is a version that still saves slow, in spite of removing 1/2 the cells and a number of rows. nothing private anymore.

See what you can find.
OldStevenick
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:35 am    Post subject:

CELL NOTES!

Deleted cell notes. Original full file took 10 seconds to save.

Short one I sent you without cell notes takes a second to save.

Can printing of cell notes be defeated?

Phew. 3 hours of testing.
OldStevenick
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject:

Now after all this testing, my browse all versions brings a shrunken PDF where the entire document is on a single page.

Setting the Page:Sheet: as you suggested caused that problem.

I set it back to reduce/enlarge and problem solved.

With all cell notes deleted I'm looking at a 15 second save.
OldStevenick
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject:

Last post, gotta get some work done Very Happy

It is the cell notes issue, not the scaling. 5 second save with no cell notes with scaling set to 100%.

Let us know if you figure out the cell notes issue.

These are docs that were imported from Office docs originally.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject:

OldStevenick wrote:
Let us know if you figure out the cell notes issue.

I will keep trying each of the possible PDF settings to see if any turn off the cell notes slowness. Regardless of what I find, I'll will post what I have found within the next 24 hours.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:09 am    Post subject:

I do not have good news. After commenting out increasing large sections of NeoOffice's undelrying OpenOffice.org Calc PDF generation code, I found that the PDF generation code is not the cause of the slowness when there are cell notes.

I am not sure where the slowness is, but it definitely occurs before Calc invokes the PDF generation code so I suspect that this slowness is deep in the Calc cell recalculation or on-screen layout code.

Patrick
OldStevenick
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:59 am    Post subject:

Thanks, that's interesting as the slowness doesn't happen with the setting for 1st page only.

Well maybe a brainstorm will occur at some point, I know how programmers think and how puzzles haunt us.

Good luck and thanks again for the great product.
Steve
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject:

OldStevenick wrote:
Thanks, that's interesting as the slowness doesn't happen with the setting for 1st page only.

I initially assumed that saving only the first page was fast because no comments were in the first page, but I tested my assumption yesterday and found that the true cause of this slowness is a bug in NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 code.

What is happening is that when there are cell notes, the OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 print code is wildly miscounting the totoal number of pages to print or export to PDF. As a result, when you print or export to PDF all pages, the OpenOffice.org code prints out nearly 300 extra pages (13,000 empty rows) for your test document.

The good news is that Oracle's OpenOffice.org engineers fixed this bug in OpenOffice.og 3.2.1 so, before I release this new feature, I would like to spend the next week or so searching through the OpenOffice.org 3.2.1 code to see if I can find and merge their fix into NeoOffice.

Patrick
OldStevenick
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject:

Good job Patrick, thanks! I'll await your resolution.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice New Feature Requests All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3