Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Update screen shows e-mail address black on black
Update screen shows e-mail address black on black

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
benst
Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 3:48 am    Post subject: Update screen shows e-mail address black on black

Not a big deal, but when I want to d/l patch 5 via the built-in updater (in p4), the e-mail address and security code fields have a black foreground and background. Makes typing kinda difficult. Smile See attached image.

Kind regards,
Ben
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Update screen shows e-mail address black on black

benst wrote:
Not a big deal, but when I want to d/l patch 5 via the built-in updater (in p4), the e-mail address and security code fields have a black foreground and background. Makes typing kinda difficult. Smile See attached image.

Can you open Safari, go to this page, and tell us if you see the same problem? Also, can you tell us which version of Mac OS X you are running?

I ask this because the built-in updater uses embedded Safari to load the download web page that you see and so I need to try and figure out why embedded Safari is setting text field backgrounds to black.

Patrick
benst
Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Update screen shows e-mail address black on black

pluby wrote:
Can you open Safari, go to this page, and tell us if you see the same problem?

No, that page and the following (with the login) look fine.

Quote:
Also, can you tell us which version of Mac OS X you are running?

I'm running 10.7.4 11e53. (Seed testing here.) I saw this problem both on my laptop and on my iMac, both running the same seed. Is there perhaps a difference in proxy usage? I'm using privoxy for Safari.

Kind regards,
Ben
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Update screen shows e-mail address black on black

benst wrote:
I'm running 10.7.4 11e53. (Seed testing here.) I saw this problem both on my laptop and on my iMac, both running the same seed. Is there perhaps a difference in proxy usage? I'm using privoxy for Safari.

I have changed the CSS on our website to explicitly request web browsers to render text fields with a white background.

Do you see white text fields now? If not, then I suspect that privoxy or something else is changing the HTML and CSS that is retrieved from our website.

Patrick
benst
Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject:

Hmm, how to test? I'm already running p5 now. Can I reinstall p4?

Ben
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject:

You just need to replace one NeoOffice file using the following instructions:

1. Download the following "versionrc" file to your Desktop by pasting the following command in a Terminal window and pressing the Return key. This file will be used to fool NeoOffice to act as if you have not installed the latest official patch:

Code:
cd ~/Desktop ; curl -O http://sally.neooffice.org/test/versionrc

2. In the Finder, right-click or Control-click on the NeoOffice application and in the popup menu that appears, select the "Show Package Contents". Then, navigation into NeoOffice's "Contents/MacOS" subfolder. Drag the "versionrc" file that you downloaded into step 2 into this subfolder. You will be prompted to replace the file and then to authenticate that you are a Mac OS X administrator.

3. If step 3 succeeds, select NeoOffice's Help :: Check for Updates menu. the dialog that appears should say that NeoOffice 3.2.1 Patch 4 is available. Press the Download button and you should see the patch download page running in a floating window similar to the NeoOffice Mobile floating window and the patch should be automatically downloaded to your Downloads folder.

Patrick
benst
Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject:

In Safari the d/l window looks still fine.

I successfully copied versionrc and got the download window from NeoOffice. It was still black on black. I then quit NeoOffice, disabled privoxy, and retried. Still black on black. I also went into Safari and cleared the cache, but that didn't help either.

Ben
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject:

benst wrote:
I successfully copied versionrc and got the download window from NeoOffice. It was still black on black. I then quit NeoOffice, disabled privoxy, and retried. Still black on black. I also went into Safari and cleared the cache, but that didn't help either.

Try clearing NeoOffice's embedded Safari cache by quitting NeoOffice and then deleting the ~/Library/Caches/soffice.bin folder.

If that doesn't change anything, quit NeoOffice and delete the ~/Library/Preferences/org.neooffice.NeoOffice.plist file.

Do any of the above steps help?

Patrick
benst
Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Try clearing NeoOffice's embedded Safari cache by quitting NeoOffice and then deleting the ~/Library/Caches/soffice.bin folder.

If that doesn't change anything, quit NeoOffice and delete the ~/Library/Preferences/org.neooffice.NeoOffice.plist file.

No, neither made any difference.

Ben
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject:

benst wrote:
No, neither made any difference.

If you select NeoOffice's Mobile :: Open NeoOffice Mobile menu and in the window that appears, press the "Forgot Password?" button, do you see the same black background behavior?

Patrick
benst
Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
If you select NeoOffice's Mobile :: Open NeoOffice Mobile menu and in the window that appears, press the "Forgot Password?" button, do you see the same black background behavior?

Yes, same thing.

Ben
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject:

Since you see it in all embedded Safari instances and Apple's embedded Safari code is ignoring any CSS that sets background color for text fields, that tells me that you have found a bug in Apple's WebKit code (WebKit is the name of the embedded Safari functions that we use).

I saw the same behavior as you are seeing once in the first Mac OS X 10.8 developer previews, but I do not see it in 10.7.3 or the last 10.8 developer preview.

Do you have access to a 10.7.3 machine? If so, do you see this behavior on that machine? If not, you may want to consider filing a bug with Apple for the 10.7.4 developer preview's WebKit framework as text input field background colors should be white by default and they should respond to CSS settings like Safari does.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject:

Just to confirm that this is a bug in Apple's WebKit functions, I have wrote a very simple test application that opens an embedded Safari window and loads Google's home page.

Can you run the test program by doing the following steps?:

1. Download the following "webkittest" file to your Desktop by pasting the following commands in a Terminal window and pressing the Return key:

Code:
cd ~/Desktop ; curl -O http://sally.neooffice.org/test/webkittest
chmod 700 ~/Desktop/webkittest

2. Execute the test application by pasting the following command in a Terminal window and pressing the Return key. Note that to quit the test application you will have to press the Control-C keys in the Terminal window:

Code:
~/Desktop/webkittest

I have also attached the "webkittest.m" source code file for this test application in case you want to file a bug with Apple.

Patrick
benst
Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject:

Thanks for that test app. It does indeed show the same problem, see attached screenshot.

I will file a bug with Apple and include your example.

Ben
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject:

benst wrote:
I will file a bug with Apple and include your example.

FYI. To compile the webkittest.m file, here is the Terminal command to use:

Code:
cc -o webkittest -framework AppKit -framework WebKit webkittest.m

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2