· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Disappearing font names
Disappearing font names

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:22 am    Post subject: Disappearing font names

I mentioned this in another thread, but thought it best to start a new one.

In NeoOffice Beta 3.3 the font menu appears to flicker more than it did in NeoOffice 3.2.1 w Java. I realise this is a cosmetic problem and of low priority, but I thought it worth sharing what I observe (and splitting from the other thread to avoid confusion).

Steps to reproduce:
- Open NeoOffice
- Ensure NeoOffice->Preferences->NeoOffice->View->Show preview of fonts is checked.
- Open a new Writer document
- Click on the drop down next to the font name
- Scroll reasonably rapidly through the font list using an Apple Wireless Mouse (or probably a scroll wheel too).
- The whole menu goes blank or flickers.

This does not happen in NeoOffice 3.2.1

I attach a couple of screen captures to show what is happening.

Yours,

Andy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject:

I only have a laptop with a trackpad and no mousewheel with me for the next week so I have 2 questions:

1. Does this behavior stop after you have scrolled through the entire list a few times or does it happen consistently?

2. Does this behavior immediately stop after you disable previewing of fonts? If so, does the behavior immediately reappear after you reenable previewing of fonts?

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject:

In answer to your questions:

1. It gets better to a point the more you scroll, but the fonts names still flicker, the scroll position indicator stalls and then jumps to its new position. I'll post another short video tomorrow, but QuickTime player has just hung up on me again and I need to leave work.

2. Yes. It only happens when the font preview is turned on.

HtH

Andy
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:57 am    Post subject:

Ok, managed to persuade QuickTime to work. So here is a capture of the menu after it's been scrolled up and down continuously for over 40seconds.

Andy
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject:

I can also reproduce this (10.5.8 with 2-fingered scrolling on my MBP trackpad) using Andy's steps, although it's not as bad for me as Andy's movie (in particular, after some time scrolling, I very rarely see a whole-displayed-menu blanked white, but the fonts do still flicker). Maybe I'm not able to scroll as fast as Andy can with his mouse, or I have fewer fonts? Maybe each "screenful" of the displayed menu finally gets cached?

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject:

I could reproduce this fairly easily but after fixing several other bugs, I can only get a super short bit of flicker.

Can you install the test patch and tell us if you still see the font list go blank like before or is that behavior significantly reduced for you?:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3_Beta-Patch-0-Test-6-Intel.dmg

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I could reproduce this fairly easily but after fixing several other bugs, I can only get a super short bit of flicker.

That's all I see now (once all the fonts have been loaded).

Smokey

The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject:

I've installed Patch 0 Test 6, but unfortunately I don't see much, if any, improvement in the behaviour of the Fonts menu. It still blanks out and jumps as it did before.

Sorry not to have good new on this one.

Andy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:36 am    Post subject:

amayze wrote:
I've installed Patch 0 Test 6, but unfortunately I don't see much, if any, improvement in the behaviour of the Fonts menu. It still blanks out and jumps as it did before.

After you scroll through the entire list one time slowly (to force all fonts to be loaded), do you see any improvement? I ask because you cannot escape the temporary stops that occurs when loading a bunch of fonts and you will see some white background when that first loading happens.

In NeoOffice 3.2.1, the white background was replaced by the scroll bar appearing to be stuck momentarily.

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject:

Yes, if I scroll through slowly, making sure every font is rendered, then it does get better.

Oddly flicking from the bottom to the top of the list after this is almost perfect, but going in the opposite direction often stops halfway down then jumps to the bottom.

I don't think this is due to my mouse technique as I turned it upside down and the stuttering still happens when going from top to bottom of the list.

Also it does _only_ happen when I flick with enough speed to let the list move to the other end under its own "weight". If I keep my finger on the mouse and scroll it is fine now.

Maybe I just need to rationalise my fonts. I have no idea where some of them have come from or what application needs them!

Andy.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject:

amayze wrote:
I don't think this is due to my mouse technique as I turned it upside down and the stuttering still happens when going from top to bottom of the list.

The problem is font loading. Many Mac OS X fonts are not like Windows fonts. Generally, on Windows fonts are quick to load by look very jagged. Most Mac OS X fonts tend to be very high quality fonts that render very well but the cost of that high quality rendering is that the average Mac OS X font takes a quarter to a half a second to load (I know because I have timed it dozens of times when I was implementing the Core Text code). So, if scrolling hits only one unloaded font, you are going to see some pause (in your case you see the white background) while that font fully loads).

If you think that all fonts have been loaded and you are still seeing this behavior, open the font list and scroll through the entire list using the Page Up and Page Down keys. This will ensure that all fonts are displayed and are forced to load. If only after that you still see the white background, then let us know.

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
If you think that all fonts have been loaded and you are still seeing this behavior, open the font list and scroll through the entire list using the Page Up and Page Down keys. This will ensure that all fonts are displayed and are forced to load. If only after that you still see the white background, then let us know.

Tried using Page Up and Page Down after clicking on the font list drop down, but it just inserts an unprintable character in the font name field. They work as you describe in NeoOffice 3.2.1 Java.

Image attached to show what I see.

Yours,

Andy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject:

amayze wrote:
Tried using Page Up and Page Down after clicking on the font list drop down, but it just inserts an unprintable character in the font name field. They work as you describe in NeoOffice 3.2.1 Java.

If the font name is unprintable, it means that the font's name does not have any Unicode characters in its name and no font can render the characters in the font's name. In other words, you've got an old pre-Unicode font or you've got a third-party font that isn't fully Mac compatible.

So, which font is selected and what does that font name look like in the Font Book application?

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject:

Sorry, it's not that there is a font name that is unprintable. I'll try to give clearer steps:

- Click on the font menu drop down arrow.
- The font menu appears and the current font name is highlighted in the box next to the arrow
- Press Page Up or Page Down keys
- The font name in the box is replaced by an unprintable character, the drop down menu does not scroll.

Each time you press PgUp or PgDn another character appears, so in my screen shot I have pressed them 5 times before taking the picture.

Hope you can reproduce it now.

Andy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject:

amayze wrote:
Each time you press PgUp or PgDn another character appears, so in my screen shot I have pressed them 5 times before taking the picture.

I now understand. Pressing the Page Up or Page Down key is resulting in text input into the font combobox. I will look at the code and see where those key events are getting misinterpreted. They should be interpreted as action events, not text input events.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum