Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Calc hang on a .csv document
Calc hang on a .csv document

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Calc hang on a .csv document

FYI, I got Calc to hang on a small .csv document.

I'm attaching the file and the sample.

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject:

I cannot reproduce the hanging that you see but what I do see in your sample is that the hang is occurring in Mac OS X's Core Text functions. Those functions are trying to layout text using some font so that makes me suspect that those functions are hanging due to a damaged font.

Can you launch the /Applications/Font Book application, select the Edit :: Select All menu, and then select the File :: Validate Fonts menu? If any fonts are marked as having problems, disable those fonts. After disabling any such fonts, does NeoOffice still hang when you open your .csv file?

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject:

I have an alternate approach for finding out which font is causing the hanging. Can you install the following debug patch?:

Intel:
http://juliette.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3-Patch-5-Debug-2-Intel.dmg

After you install the debug patch, quit NeoOffice and relaunch it from the /Applications/Utilities/Terminal application by pasting the following command into a Terminal window and pressing the Return key:

Code:
/Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/MacOS/soffice.bin

After NeoOffice launches, try opening the .csv file.

There will be a huge number of messages in the Terminal window. You can ignore most of them as I am only interested in the last 20 or so lines. So when NeoOffice hangs, copy the last 20 lines or so and post them.

After you post the last 20 or so lines, I recommend that you reinstall NeoOffice 3.3 Patch 5 as the huge number of messages in the debug patch will cause NeoOffice to run slower than normal.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:22 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I have an alternate approach for finding out which font is causing the hanging. Can you install the following debug patch?

I didn't see the patch until after I had cleaned out five broken fonts, and then NeoOffice opened fine. When I reinstalled the fonts, the problem stayed away...

Sorry for wasting your time, but good to know that my fonts were the problem, not NeoOffice. For reference, the fonts were:

Park Avenue (two variants)
ITC Avant Garde (several variants, three files)
Avignon (one variant)

I don't even remember where those came from Wink.

ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:29 am    Post subject:

Note: I can't get Font Book to reinstall the fonts properly, so it must be doing checks and refusing silently to install a broken font.

Anyway, I tossed the files out and won't have to worry about it now.

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
Sorry for wasting your time, but good to know that my fonts were the problem, not NeoOffice. For reference, the fonts were:

Park Avenue (two variants)
ITC Avant Garde (several variants, three files)
Avignon (one variant)

I don't even remember where those came from Wink.

It was very easy to see that the fonts were causing the hang from your sample. I am glad that none of Mac OS X's bundled fonts were the cause of the hanging as that would have indicated disk problems.

One question: do you have any Adobe products (other than Acrobat) installed on your machine? I ask because I think the 3 fonts you listed are Adobe fonts and so maybe Adobe is installing them. I know that Microsoft Office installs a bunch of fonts when you first run it (which is why so many .doc and .docx files use Calibri as their font) so maybe Adobe is doing the same.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
One question: do you have any Adobe products (other than Acrobat) installed on your machine? I ask because I think the 3 fonts you listed are Adobe fonts and so maybe Adobe is installing them. I know that Microsoft Office installs a bunch of fonts when you first run it (which is why so many .doc and .docx files use Calibri as their font) so maybe Adobe is doing the same.

Yes, I have Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator and Acrobat CS5 installed. But the Park Avenue font files are older than that, a leftover of something I did under Windows long ago.

If you are interested, I can try to get the version numbers of the broken fonts from a Time Machine backup.

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
If you are interested, I can try to get the version numbers of the broken fonts from a Time Machine backup.

No need to do that. I was just trying to get a sense if this Mac OS X Core Text bug is likely to occur frequently or not.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1