Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Corrupted Embedded Objects
Corrupted Embedded Objects

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gbh
Councilperson

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Corrupted Embedded Objects

Patrick,

This is basically the same problem I had in the forum post below, which you fixed some time ago. Now it is occurring again for multiple of us here starting today. Basically some of the embedded calc items in writer documents are showing up as corrupt when they weren't before. I have attached a copy of a sample.

I use Lion, the other users are on Snow Leopard, and none of us have shared the documents that are corrupted. We are all on the latest version of NeoOffice. There was a java update for Mac very recently and I wonder if this had anything to do with it. Any help would be appreciated.

Also, in your final fix last time (which may not relate to this) it had to do with the temporary folder and running encryption. I do still run File Vault and other two users PGP whole disk encryption.

https://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=8331
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Corrupted Embedded Objects

gbh wrote:
This is basically the same problem I had in the forum post below, which you fixed some time ago. Now it is occurring again for multiple of us here starting today. Basically some of the embedded calc items in writer documents are showing up as corrupt when they weren't before. I have attached a copy of a sample.

The original problem was solved by using your ~/Library/Caches/soffice.bin as the application temporary folder. The assumption was that Mac OS X's automatic nightly file cleaning process would not delete files in ~/Library/Caches/soffice.bin.

So, the question is that if you quit NeoOffice, delete the ~/Library/Caches/soffice.bin folder, and then restart NeoOffice, is that folder being created by NeoOffice? I just verified that it does on my Mac OS X 10.7 machine after installing all system updates.

Also can you execute the following command in a Terminal and post the output?:

Code:
cat /etc/defaults/periodic.conf

The output should tell us what folders Mac OS X is deleting in its nightly process.

Patrick
gbh
Councilperson

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject:

I deleted the folder and it was re-created. Attached is the output from terminal.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject:

Can you now run the following Terminal command. This will tell me if you have any customized folder deletion lists on your machine:

Code:
cat /etc/periodic.conf /etc/periodic.conf.local

Patrick
gbh
Councilperson

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject:

See attached.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject:

Your output shows that you don't have any custom deletion folders so that is not the cause.

What I don't yet understand is what is deleting the temporary files in the ~/Library/Caches/soffice.bin folder. That is what caused the corruption that you originally saw: NeoOffice's temporary files were getting deleted out from underneath it by another process. However, this week's Mac OS X 10.7 updates did not change any of the folder deletion scripts so the question is what process is deleting these temporary files?

Can you execute the following Terminal command and post the output? This will tell me if your ~/Library/Caches/soffice.bin folder might really be in one of the deletion folders via a softlink:

Code:
cd ~/Library/Caches/soffice.bin ; df -k .

Patrick
gbh
Councilperson

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject:

Last login: Thu Jun 14 16:41:52 on ttys000
gbhmbpro:~ gbh$ cd ~/Library/Caches/soffice.bin ; df -k .
Filesystem 1024-blocks Used Available Capacity Mounted on
/dev/disk1 487235676 148482776 338496900 31% /
gbhmbpro:soffice.bin gbh$
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject:

gbh wrote:
Last login: Thu Jun 14 16:41:52 on ttys000
gbhmbpro:~ gbh$ cd ~/Library/Caches/soffice.bin ; df -k .
Filesystem 1024-blocks Used Available Capacity Mounted on
/dev/disk1 487235676 148482776 338496900 31% /
gbhmbpro:soffice.bin gbh$

There is nothing unusual in your output so here is another set of Terminal commands:

Code:
ls -ld ~
ls -ld ~/Library
ls -ld ~/Library/Caches
ls -ld ~/Library/Caches/soffice.bin

Patrick
gbh
Councilperson

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject:

Last login: Thu Jun 14 16:53:21 on ttys000
gbhmbpro:~ gbh$ ls -ld ~
drwxr-xr-x+ 24 gbh staff 816 Jun 14 15:16 /Users/gbh
gbhmbpro:~ gbh$ ls -ld ~/Library
drwx------@ 45 gbh staff 1530 Apr 18 09:19 /Users/gbh/Library
gbhmbpro:~ gbh$ ls -ld ~/Library/Caches
drwxr-xr-x 71 gbh staff 2414 Jun 14 16:56 /Users/gbh/Library/Caches
gbhmbpro:~ gbh$ ls -ld ~/Library/Caches/soffice.bin
drwx------ 2 gbh staff 68 Jun 14 16:40 /Users/gbh/Library/Caches/soffice.bin
gbhmbpro:~ gbh$
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject:

The output in your last post is normal so I have to assume that some new unknown process is deleting folders in the ~/Library/Caches folder. So, I think it is best that I take a defensive approach and change my code to put all NeoOffice temporary files in a subfolder ~/Library/Application Support folder and see if that doesn't get silently deleted.

I will post a test patch for you to try later today.

Patrick
gbh
Councilperson

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject:

Okay, thanks much. Both of us here will use it and see.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject:

I have moved the location of NeoOffice's temporary files to a new ~/Library/Application Support/NeoOffice folder. Hopefully, Mac OS X or whatever process was deleting folders in the ~/Library/Caches folder will not delete this new folder.

Can you install the following test patch and tell us if any of the embedded objects in your documents become corrupted when you save them? Note that the original bug only occurred if you kept a document open more than a day:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.2.1-Patch-5-Test-16-Intel.dmg

Patrick
gbh
Councilperson

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject:

Yes. Will do and thanks. This document that got corrupted today was not open for more than a day.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject:

gbh wrote:
Yes. Will do and thanks. This document that got corrupted today was not open for more than a day.

Based on your output, I think the deletion of files is coming from some other source than the scripts that caused the original problem. The original problem was known to run daily but the frequency of this new problem is unknown since I don't know where it is originating from.

Patrick
gbh
Councilperson

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:39 am    Post subject:

After running the patch I am noticing that some of the icons are slightly different (e.g., on the Borders menu item the lines are darker for the various borders). That is not a problem but I am just wonder if this patch changes other items.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3