Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice/J with other operating systems?
NeoOffice/J with other operating systems?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:29 am    Post subject: NeoOffice/J with other operating systems?

Since neooffice/J is a java application I suppose it can be used under any other operating system which supports a Java Virtual Machine, is this correct?

If so, has anyone tested it with other OSes? for example, IBM's OS/2?

thanks,
Loris
wade1234

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject:

NeoOffice/J is not written completely in Java, but rather uses Java as a way to remove the dependancy on having a X11 environment by handling this part with Java. That being say the OpenOffice.org part of the code is compiled specifically for MacOSX.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:15 pm    Post subject:

Yup, 98% of NeoJ is still in C/C++ taken straight from OpenOffice.org X11. The Java portions are less then 2% of the total code of NeoJ.

Don't let the "Java" part fool you either...parts of this are written specifically for Apple's virtual machine and parts of it are also written in Carbon (e.g. the drag and drop support).

OS/2 would be difficult using the NeoJ approach since OpenOffice.org doesn't compile for OS/2 any longer (at least last I checked). The company that did the OS/2 version I believe does their work through Odin using the Win32 based VCL implementation. I don't believe they actually compile it on OS/2.

Some of the old OS/2 VCL and OSL code still lives on in the OOo cvs repository, but it hasn't been maintained since StarOffice v5.x and most likely needs a lot of work to get up to speed with the changes that have taken place since then.

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:19 pm    Post subject:

Oh, note on the above...when I say "I believe", I do have to say "I believe". InnoTek did their OS/2 work under the closed source SISSL license and doesn't share their code with anyone.

This is one of my primary motivators for using the full GPL for Neo and ditching SISSL. It always irked me that someone else could just take work and profit off of it without sharing with the community that helps to make it what it is.

ed

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice/J with other operating systems?

Thanks, for all your answers ... one last request:
I haven't found any "required software list" for neooffice. Is it possible to install neooffice/J on a G3 machine with OS 9?

bye,
Loris
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice/J with other operating systems?

Anonymous wrote:
Thanks, for all your answers ... one last request:
I haven't found any "required software list" for neooffice. Is it possible to install neooffice/J on a G3 machine with OS 9?

No, because OOo is basically a UNIX program and NeoOffice/J works with that foundation. Also, I am not sure if OS9 includes the Java VM 1.3.1 which Patrick uses.

Of course, you could always install OSX on the G3 (and probably more RAM)..
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1