Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - How to disable Mac OS X fonts support?
How to disable Mac OS X fonts support?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VN
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: How to disable Mac OS X fonts support?

Hi all,

I have both OO.org 1.1.2 GM and Neo/J 1.1 beta installed. For X11 version I have put all needed fonts from Windows inside /Share/Fonts folder. I use only those from Windows to insure the maximum compatibility with my friends working on Windows.
Now, Neo/J uses Mac native fonts. It's great... but I want my Windows fonts back. As you know, Mac OS and Windows both have many similar, but not identical fonts, like Arials, Time New Roman, etc. Those fonts on the Mac are latin only, while they are multilingual on Windows. So, I open with Neo/J some documents created with OO.org and see the garbage.
I'd like to install the fonts in /Share/Fonts inside Neo/J bundle and use only those. Is it possible?
I don't really want to put those Windows fonts in the System because of the possible conflict between them and Mac fonts with the similar name.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:24 pm    Post subject:

With Neo/J it is not possible to disable the Mac fonts support. It's integrated with the OS X fonts on the lowest levels by its design. The only way to get the Windows ones would be to replace the Mac equivalents in /Library/Fonts and such with the Windows ttf files. Note that this would replace those fonts systemwide.

If you need to disable Mac font support, the X11 build is unfortunately your only solution Sad

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:30 pm    Post subject:

Option 3 is to wait and hope that Apple (will be able to) bundles the updated MS fonts with Mac OS X 10.4 (the existing non-Unicode versions of the MS fonts have been bundled with the OS since the OS 9 timeframe, or whenever MSIE started being bundled with the OS--it installed them if they weren't present from Office).

Option 4 is to go buy Office 2004 just for the new Unicode MS fonts Sad (is there an emoticon for gagging or sticking out a tongue?) Although they aren't AAT enabled, so Arabic letters don't connect and we still have to fuss.

It's a horrible, awful problem (also, the Windows versions that FontOOo installs are behind the versions on recent Windows, too; I have people send me files that I have to switch the font to TITUS Cyberbit even in OOo/X11 to read all the characters...).

Smokey
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:50 am    Post subject:

The fifth option is to install the Windows Fonts into your /Library/Font folder and use Font book to disable the System versions - that way you keep both sets but only have one form of each Font active.

Edit, should have said /Library/Font folder and not user - corrected it now.

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art
VFrost
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:47 am    Post subject:

A sixth option...

I live alone and don't share my computer, but I know it's theoretically possible to have different Users, each with his own set of Preferences. Wouldn't that be a way to have both versions of a given font available to you, depending on what kind of work you were doing?

As long as you and your alter ego got along, that is.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:56 am    Post subject:

VFrost wrote:
A sixth option...

I live alone and don't share my computer, but I know it's theoretically possible to have different Users, each with his own set of Preferences. Wouldn't that be a way to have both versions of a given font available to you, depending on what kind of work you were doing?

As long as you and your alter ego got along, that is.

This is probably the simplest option. Note that for the user with Windows fonts, you may also want to open the Font Book application and disable any of the system fonts for that user only that might have the same name as your Windows fonts.

Patrick
MaLer
Red Pill

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject:

My solution is quite dirty, but quite simple:

Take all those fonts from Windows, and replace fonts in /Library/Fonts. If you are not brave enough, move first those mac versions to some "Fonts disabled" folders. If you don't use arial and so on in typo apps, like Quark or InDesing, i belive, that you will have no problem with it.

BTW, does MS Office 2004 Demo contains fonts too, or just full version? I must try it, just after i'll download beta of Neo/J Wink
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1