Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - 'won't fix' question
'won't fix' question

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fabrizio venerandi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:11 am    Post subject: 'won't fix' question

Today I try to reproduce 2 "won't fix" bug in the windows version of Oo. The windows version of Oo works fine, and there are not the bugs.
So I really do not understand. When pluby says that those bug are in Oo, in which porting of Oo he means? Is the windows porting of Oo better than other porting of Oo?

I'm only trying to understand! No flame!

f.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:33 am    Post subject:

I use OOo on Mac. The first step in the Neo/J build process builds OOo X11 so that is what I use to test.

One question for you: which version of OOo are you using for Windows? I saw that OOo 1.1.4 was released for Windows recently. If you are using OOo 1.1.4, then that would indicate that Sun fixed both of your bugs in OOo 1.1.4.

Patrick
fabrizio venerandi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:42 am    Post subject:

For example, I try to reproduce the "weird" bug with Oo windows version 1.1.0, and my brother tries the Oo linux version 1.0, and there is not the bug.

I fear mac x11 version have bugs that other Oo have not.

f.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:18 am    Post subject:

fabrizio venerandi wrote:
For example, I try to reproduce the "weird" bug with Oo windows version 1.1.0, and my brother tries the Oo linux version 1.0, and there is not the bug.

I fear mac x11 version have bugs that other Oo have not.

Not necessarily. OOo is a very big application so it is not surprising when something that works in OOo 1.1 stops working correctly in OOo 1.1.3. Like me, Sun is always fixing lots of bugs and, also like me, every once in a while a bug fix can cause a different bug.

I am planning to use the OOo 1.1.4 code for Neo/J final. If you are able to download OOo 1.1.4 for Windows or Linux, can you see if the bugs do not occur in OOo 1.1.4? If the bugs do not occur in OOo 1.1.4, I can reopen the bugs.

Patrick

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:

I am planning to use the OOo 1.1.4 code for Neo/J final. If you are able to download OOo 1.1.4 for Windows or Linux, can you see if the bugs do not occur in OOo 1.1.4? If the bugs do not occur in OOo 1.1.4, I can reopen the bugs.

Patrick

Actually (deo gratias) I'm at home, no windows here. Next year I'll come back to the office and I could try the windows version of Oo 1.1.4

I hope a solution is gonna be found, 'cause actually database forms in neooffice are too instable for a work job.

Thank you again for your attention.

f.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:04 am    Post subject:

FYI. My OOo 1.1.4 build just finished and tested it to see if either of your bugs were fixed.

The bad news is that both bugs still exist in OOo 1.1.4.

Patrick
fabrizio venerandi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:31 am    Post subject:

january 3 I'll test the windows version of Oo 1.1.4, and I have asked my brother to test the linux version of Oo 1.1.4 too. If I will not able to reproduce the bugs in those version I think could be some problem in mac x11 version of Oo... I think could be a good work to test all the 'won't fix' bugs in other Oo version to understand if those bugs are born compiling mac x11 version (and so -after- in neooffice) or are in Oo code.

Btw happy christmas mr pluby

f.
fabrizio venerandi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:33 am    Post subject:

Today I tried the 'won't fix' 286 bug on windows Oo 1.1.4 version. In windows version there is not the bug.
So I fear many of the 'won't fix' bugs are coming from the macintosh X11 (con)version of Oo, not from the Oo code.

f.
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject:

fabrizio venerandi wrote:
Today I tried the 'won't fix' 286 bug on windows Oo 1.1.4 version. In windows version there is not the bug.
So I fear many of the 'won't fix' bugs are coming from the macintosh X11 (con)version of Oo, not from the Oo code.

Which are the same thing, from a NeoOffice perspective. The Mac X11 code is still OOo code, just as the Windows version is OOo code. Unfortunately, they are not all in the same shape. Sun isn't paying as much attention to the Mac X11 version as they are to the Windows version. With the help of the porting volunteers and some support from the Sun team, the X11 version is made to work and as bug free as they can manage.

After that, it is up to Patrick and Ed (and, hopefully soon, some more people).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject:

"What do you think of Western Civilisation?"
"I think it would be a good idea!"
- Mohandas Karamchand Ghandi

The spelling is Gandhi not Ghandi. It is phonetically spelled in English with an exhalation on the second syllable...hence the "dhi" at the end of the name.
nice quote anyway!

Smile

regds,

Hari
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:37 am    Post subject:

Anonymous wrote:
The spelling is Gandhi not Ghandi. It is phonetically spelled in English with an exhalation on the second syllable...hence the "dhi" at the end of the name. nice quote anyway!

Whoops, typo. Thanks for finding that one Smile.

fabrizio venerandi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject:

The result is that the apple version of Oo is less stable of others, and that some bugs will be not fixed. I'm talking from a user point of view.

f.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject:

And in all reality it is less stable then others. After all, on Windows, Solaris, and Linux platforms Sun Microsystems has a fully paid team of engineers finding and fixing bugs and a paid testing staff QCing their releases. The Mac stuff has no corporate backing and is just a few ragtag engineers. We definitely don't have the quality infrastructure of Sun nor the engineering resources to fix all of the issues that crop up Sad I don't think it's really going to be possible to reach their level without some full time staff working on it.

ed
fabrizio venerandi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject:

I understand openstep. But if those bug are only in macintosh x11 version of neooffice, why are 'won't fix' bugs? Are those bugs harder to work around that other?
It is disappointing betatest a program where some bugs are knowed, but nobody never could repair it. It is like to say 'help us to have a less instable Oo (but never stable)'.

f:
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject:

Did you ever have time to test if these two bugs are in the Windows or Linux versions of OOo 1.1.4? If so, then the real issue is that Sun's engineers introduced a bug in OOo 1.1.3.

With these two bugs, I really doubt that they are Mac OS X specific. Most of the Mac OS X specific bugs that I have seen cause OOo X11 to crash. I strongly suspect that these are new bugs that were added in OOo 1.1.3.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2