Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Active status in dock not shown
Active status in dock not shown

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
knussear
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:39 am    Post subject: Active status in dock not shown

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is covered elsewhere, if so I couldn't find it.....

Neo/J doesn't show an active status in the Dock (i.e. no black triangle near the icon) like other apps.

Ken
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:56 am    Post subject:

could you tell us more about the situation?
(i get a black triangle, FYI)

-j
wchutt01
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject:

I too have a balck triangle in the dock.
knussear
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject:

I guess it was a dock problem. I just removed NeoJ from the dock and put it back and now I get a triangle. Perhaps when I upgraded to 1.1B things got crosswired?

Here is a screenshot just to prove I'm not nuts
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:03 pm    Post subject:

In your screen snapshot, I noticed that you have both an old and a new Neo/J icon in the Dock. Maybe that was confusing the Dock?

Patrick
knussear
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:55 am    Post subject:

That old one is a folder full of neooffice shortcuts that I got from someone on the list.

Ken
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:17 am    Post subject:

I have actually seen this very rarely occur on 10.3. There's something with the run loop on 10.3 that controls when exactly the black active triangle appears. It used to happen all the time with the old Neo/C code, but I think I saw it only once with any Carbon based apps (like the VM). If I remember the radar issue correctly it's due to some type of race condition on application startup but should generally be harmless to proper functioning of the application.

Edit: Race condition somewhere in Dock/OS, not in the application.

ed
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:40 am    Post subject:

speaking of which, i need to update those shortcuts to the new icons...
Max_Barel
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
Edit: Race condition somewhere in Dock/OS, not in the application.

Sure?
I often wondered if it could be related to some more critical event loop/queue. Anyway, IMO NeoJ was more inclined than other apps to this situation.
As you did, I also noticed that its less often since 1.0
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:15 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
I have actually seen this very rarely occur on 10.3. There's something with the run loop on 10.3 that controls when exactly the black active triangle appears. It used to happen all the time with the old Neo/C code, but I think I saw it only once with any Carbon based apps (like the VM). If I remember the radar issue correctly it's due to some type of race condition, somewhere in Dock/OS, on application startup but should generally be harmless to proper functioning of the application.

I saw it yesterday. Didn't really hamper the app, except that the toolbars wouldn't paint. I was quite surprised. It happened after NeoOffice had been hidden for a long time.

JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:59 am    Post subject:

FWIW, I have this happen to me quite frequently and oftentimes the icon will not cease bouncing either. A quit and re-launch always solves it. It isn't anything to do with my being on a slow Mac - see my sig - perhaps my Mac is too fast and that is why it happens a lot for me??

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject:

JKT wrote:
FWIW, I have this happen to me quite frequently and oftentimes the icon will not cease bouncing either. A quit and re-launch always solves it. It isn't anything to do with my being on a slow Mac - see my sig - perhaps my Mac is too fast and that is why it happens a lot for me??

I think you're right. Tell you what: I don't really have a problem with lost icons and I have all the time in the world these days. If you want, I'll exchange macs with you. Mine is only a wee slower (800 Mhz iBook, 640 MB) and my icons always stop bouncing.

<EG>

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject:

JKT wrote:

I'm running 10.3.7 too and happens to me too. As for JKT, closing and restarting works. The funny thing is that the app itself works perfectly, if I click on the Dock icon changes to the app and on, it simply doesn't have the little triangle.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject:

Anonymous wrote:
m running 10.3.7 too and happens to me too. As for JKT, closing and restarting works. The funny thing is that the app itself works perfectly, if I click on the Dock icon changes to the app and on, it simply doesn't have the little triangle.

Yup, that's the behaviour that I've seen from some of my test apps on 10.3. In a Cocoa app it can happen it the application initialize isn't done properly by the application, e.g. if there's a non-standard event loop. I'm not sure if there's a similar problem with NeoJ, however, since the VM is really responsible for handling application initialization and not our code (at least for 1.3.1...I think for Java 1.4.1 embedded VMs the embedding application is responsible for starting up the event loop)

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1