· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - hyperlinks
hyperlinks

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bezvardis
Keymaker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: hyperlinks

I have created cross-hyperlinks in two documents: each of them refers to the other document. However, when I click on the hyperlink NeoOffice does not recognize that the document is already open and opens another copy of the document. So I can have endless windows open with the same documents. Can this be changed in some settings or this is a bug? In addition clicking on the hyperlinks often causes crashes in the mentioned case.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject:

I saw the crash with hyperlinks issue on BZ but haven't had a chance to look at it yet.

Offhand, are the URLs "file:///" style URLs? If so, I think they're actually not being handled internally by NeoJ but rather by the "/usr/bin/open" command. That's the hack I used for OOo X11 to get it to use the other handler applications for URLs (like Safari and the like).

You may want to see if changing the helper applications in Tools > Options > NeoOffice/J > External Programs does anything. I'd hope that they wouldn't, though, as the crashes seem bad...I'll look at it once I tackle these nagging menu issues that started around patch-3 time.

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject:

Without knowing anything about the code Smile or how these particular hyperlinks work, I wonder if it is possible this is a class of hyperlink that didn't get fixed by the hyperlink and open location bar fix that we discovered and Terry, Kevin, and the Linux Sparc guy(?) fixed right before we released 1.1.2/Mac? http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=30028

Otherwise, I'm just an annoying red herring Smile

Smokey

Keymaker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
are the URLs "file:///" style URLs? If so, I think they're actually not being handled internally by NeoJ but rather by the "/usr/bin/open" command. That's the hack I used for OOo X11 to get it to use the other handler applications for URLs (like Safari and the like).

You may want to see if changing the helper applications in Tools > Options > NeoOffice/J > External Programs does anything.

I think it is "file:///" style hyperlink; at least that is how the hyperlink starts. However, I am not sure I know how to change the External Program settings since they seem too complicated for me and I don't want to mess up something I don't understand. Maybe you can suggest how exactly to change the settings?
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject:

If it's a file:/// hyperlink then there may not be too much we can do, but I may be wrong. The underlying sequence I believe is this:

1) Click on a file:/// link within OOo/NeoJ
2) This invokes the command line "/usr/bin/open foo" with foo replaced with the URL.
3) The "open" command goes and consults Launch Services to see what application should handle the request.
4) An open document apple event gets sent to NeoJ
5) NeoJ interprets the open document apple event as a request to open a file.

The funny thing is if that I send to open document apple events to NeoJ the second request just brings the previously opened window of the document to the front. This is kind of the standard behaviour of a number of other OS X apps I tried. The exception is Word which pops up a "Revert" dialog even if there are no changes that were made to the document Wink

If you remove the "/usr/bin/open" entry next to the "File browser" external program entry, the file:/// URLs should be handled internally by NeoJ without going through /usr/bin/open. I'm not sure if that would solve the problem or make it worse Sad I'll take a look at the bug report tonight or tomorrow to see what path it actually is taking in the default configuration.

ed
bezvardis
Keymaker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:10 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:

If you remove the "/usr/bin/open" entry next to the "File browser" external program entry, the file:/// URLs should be handled internally by NeoJ without going through /usr/bin/open. I'm not sure if that would solve the problem or make it worse Sad

After removing that entry, the crashes do not happen any more. However, the other issue remains - the documents are being opened again and again.
Luke
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject:

Hi,
I tried a minimal test case for this - two documents, each two lines, one a bookmark, the other a hyperlink to the bookmark in the other document. Having set this up and saved the two documents, I tried the links and found they worked fine, swapping between the two open documents without reloading from disk. Then I closed doc one, and clicked the hyperlink in doc two to open it again. This worked, and caused the hyperlink text to change colour to indicate a followed link, which it had not done before. Clicking on this link again opened a new copy of document one, as described by bezvardis. Clicking on the return link in either copy of doc one brought doc two to the front. I then closed doc two, and used the link in doc one to open it. After that, both crosslinks opened copies, rather than bringing the open version to the front.

Weird Confused

Hope this information is some use

Luke
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1