· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Microsoft Publisher
Microsoft Publisher

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dannymercer
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: Microsoft Publisher

Is there a filter where I can open Microsoft Publisher docs in Neooffice and at least keep some of the formatting, without having to start from scratch. We just switched to Macs at our small office and are wanting to use Neooffice as our bulletin program.
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject:

Unfortunately, NeoOffice cannot open Publisher files, and I don't think any application can open Publisher files on the Mac (except perhaps Adobe PageMaker?).

Publisher can export your file to EMF (Enhanced Metafile), which Draw should be able to open; however, I don't know how much functionality you can expect from Draw when it comes to editing your files ...
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject:

You might also want to review the info given in this related topic:

http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3123

Just by way of encouragement, we moved the creation work for some of our newsletters from Adobe PageMaker to NeoOffice about 18 months ago. Although we had to start our Neo models from scratch, it was well worth the effort to free us from the proprietary format (as is your case now) and we had no problems producing the "look-a-like" models using the standard layout features available in NeoOffice.

You can view examples of the 'before' and 'after' results of our migration here:

Before: http://www.scout.org/strat/docs/pp7angola_e.pdf

After: http://www.scout.org/strat/docs/pp7austral_e.pdf

aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:02 am    Post subject: Publisher

This is something I have wanted to do on occasion. My wife has MS Publisher files from her workplace that I would love to get into OS X so she could feel less bound to Windows. However, there seems nothing that will allow you to open .pub files in os x. You can get them into .pdf format in various ways, including 5 conversions for free online at http://convert.neevia.com, or by using drivers from www.pdf995.com with windows. Adobe has a couple of ways of doing it. I think I had hopes of saving them as postcript files and then opening them in Scribus, but this has never worked for me [in fact Scribus keeps crashing].

You can get some success saving as .ps then opening in Preview or inserting in Pages. I have had no joy trying to insert those files into NeoOffice: you usually get a few pages of Chinese characters (I think they are Chinese?) Nice, but not what you want. I think this porbably fits into the "huge trouble" category, and it would take less time to try to re-create on the mac. Sad

Peter
wge
Sentinel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:27 am    Post subject:

aussie149,

i would try following:

make a backup of your publisher file.

save a copy of the publisher file as html ?

open this in Neo.

i wonder if this works ?

OpenOffice.org 2.0.4 on mac
Mac OSX 10.4.7
Fedora 5 OOo 2.0.3
Other
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject: Options

wge wrote:
save a copy of the publisher file as html ?

open this in Neo.

An interesting one. May be worth playing around with, if you need to edit your file. If not, you're probably best off to save to as TIFF or png.

P
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1