· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Install failed because of Java-Version
Install failed because of Java-Version

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeoTatze

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:14 am    Post subject: Install failed because of Java-Version

Hello,
i did not find something here about this:
The 2.1-Intel-Installer says: »The version of Java on this machine is too old.«.
But the System-Updater says there are no Updates available.
And other Java-Apps say in there info-Windoww, i have Java »1.6.0-dp« (and System 10.4.9).

What is wrong?
Whow can i install the Version 2.1?

Thanx for Tipps!!!
Please sortry for my cruel English.

Tatze
valterb
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:13 am    Post subject:

Uhm, you say you have Java 1.6 on Tiger...

There is something that I don't understand, since Apple says that the current avalaible Java version is 1.5...

Version 1.6 seems to be the new version tht is coming with Leopard. That dp you see after 1.6.0 is for Developer Preview.

Valter
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:33 am    Post subject:

You are right Valter. The last java update from Apple was on 02/15/2007. It was for java 1.4 and java 1.5.
Some details on the Apple site.

Jacqueline
rob_06
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:46 am    Post subject:

Java 1.6 Developer Preview in mostly still in Beta form and will cause more than the issues you are seeing.

The 1.6 DP will work in Tiger as it was originally going to be for it and may very well still be but as it was already said it will be part of Leopard and then will cause us some issues no doubt.
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject:

NeoOffice 2.1 doesn't support Java 1.6. I don't know if it's possible for you to downgrade to Java 1.5, but the only versions of Java you can use with NeoOffice are 1.4.2 and 1.5.0 (version 1.6 is a developer preview and so isn't the "latest" version, but rather a "future" version).
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Java 1.6 DP cannot be uninstalled. Use /Applications/Utilities/Java/Java SE 6/Java Preferences to change the preferred/default version to Java 1.5. If you open a terminal and do a java -version it should return 1.5.

I do not have 1.6 installed on my machine so can't confirm whether this works or not.

Neo does not run with Java 1.6 at this time.

ed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: must change "Current" version

I changed what Current points to and was able to install without the error. It was pointing to 1.6, changed it to 1.5. Now I need to change it back and see if NeoOffice will run with 1.6 Smile

/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions root# ls -al
total 48
drwxr-xr-x 13 root wheel 442 Apr 2 17:38 .
drwxr-xr-x 10 root wheel 340 Feb 20 09:22 ..
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 5 Feb 20 09:22 1.3 -> 1.3.1
drwxr-xr-x 8 root wheel 272 Oct 14 15:00 1.3.1
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 5 Feb 20 09:22 1.4 -> 1.4.2
drwxr-xr-x 8 root wheel 272 Oct 14 15:00 1.4.2
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 5 Feb 20 09:22 1.5 -> 1.5.0
drwxr-xr-x 9 root wheel 306 Apr 2 17:38 1.5.0
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 5 Mar 20 14:15 1.6 -> 1.6.0
drwxr-xr-x 10 root wheel 340 Mar 20 14:02 1.6.0
drwxr-xr-x 6 root wheel 204 Mar 16 09:55 A
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 3 Apr 2 17:38 Current -> 1.5
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 3 Apr 2 17:38 CurrentJDK -> 1.5
rob_06
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject:

Neo Office is not likely to run with Java 1.6 DP as it is only written to take advantage of 1.4.2 and 1.5 as far as I know.

I would be interested to find out just the same.

Cool
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject:

On certain versions of 1.6 DP all bitmap drawing will fail, rendering the application useless. This is why we prevent installation using 1.6. We need to wait for AWT code in 1.6 to stablize before it's even worth spending what little time we have trying to work for it.

1.5 will most likely ship with 10.5 and that's our focus. We patch many JVM specific bugs dynamically and it takes time to adapt them to new JVMs (yes, we do wind up disassembling bytecode as part of our development process to patch the VM...fixes at the implementation level are not portable between versions and sometimes even between the different JVM builds Apple issues to "patch" existing Java versions. If you've got DP you may be a Java developer...and hopefully it may scare you the unholy things we need to do to make this application work).

ed
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject:

FYI. This topic is already addressed in bug 2280.

In short, if you are getting this error, you have manually mucked with Apple's Java files as Apple does not make Java 1.6 the default Java version. Some developer's try to hack around this by messing with the Java installation.

In most cases, hacking works for some applications and causes crashing for others which is why our installer detects this.

Patrick
NeoTatze

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:08 am    Post subject: Thanx, Openstep!

OPENSTEP wrote:
Use /Applications/Utilities/Java/Java SE 6/Java Preferences to change the preferred/default version to Java 1.5. [...]

Thank You very much for this nice Trick!
Now it is possible to install NeoO.

OPENSTEP wrote:
I do not have 1.6 installed on my machine so can't confirm whether this works or not.

It worx very fine!

OPENSTEP wrote:
Neo does not run with Java 1.6 at this time.

On my Machine it works now with 1.6 (i turned the Version back to 1.6 with the Prefs-Tool).

OPENSTEP wrote:
On certain versions of 1.6 DP all bitmap drawing will fail, ...

No Problems with Bitmaps Drawing.

i am very happy! Thank You all!

Tatze
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject:

Even though you flipped it back, it most likely is still running with Java 1.5. We do not run with the default VM version configured on the machine as we instruct specific VM versions to be instantiated. You can actually see the specific Java version that's in use under Tools > Options > NeoOffice > Java.

The versions are limited to those which we know are compatible, so I don't believe you'll be able to even flip it to version 1.6.

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1