Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - laptop going into sleep mode during Impress presentation
laptop going into sleep mode during Impress presentation

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gust
Councilperson

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: laptop going into sleep mode during Impress presentation

Today I was using my macbook for a presentation in Impress. I was somewhat surprised to find out that the laptop actually goes into sleep mode while the slideshow is still on. I was using a setup with the laptop running on battery power, the console window on the main monitor, the presentation window on the second monitor (a projector actually) and the remote control for switching slides. Note that using the remote control does not suppress the laptop going into sleep mode, only using the keyboard resets the energy saving timer. Is there a way to avoid this irritating behaviour (other than going into the system energy saving settings)?
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject:

Hmm offhand yeah I think you may need tomake a custom set of energy settings for using Impress. I thought at some point if there was an application in "full screen" mode that the OS didn't sleep the computer, but on my own powerbook I have it set to sleep never during presentations.

ed
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject:

Unfortunately, I have not found any Mac OS X functions that allow applications to override the sleep settings in the System Preferences application.

I have noticed that with each system update from Apple, it is becoming more and more difficult to disable sleeping. I suspect that they are really trying to extend battery life for laptop users, but even my Mac Mini goes to sleep even though I have all sleep settings set to "never" in the System Preferences application.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Unfortunately, I have not found any Mac OS X functions that allow applications to override the sleep settings in the System Preferences application.

I have some possibly good news: I found the following Apple tech note:

http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/qa/qa2004/qa1340.html

While this tech note warns that you cannot prevent sleeping when Mac OS X really wants to go to sleep (like when the laptop is running too hot or the battery is getting low), it may prevent random sleeping during your presentation.

I won't be able to add it before the 15 September 2009 NeoOffice 3.0.1 Early Access release, but if the number of bugs in that release is not too high, I can put this new code in a test patch in late September or early October.

Patrick
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:19 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I suspect that they are really trying to extend battery life for laptop users, but even my Mac Mini goes to sleep even though I have all sleep settings set to "never" in the System Preferences application.

That's really weird. I think both my Macs are more recent than your (Core Solo, I think?) Mac mini (plus one of them is a laptop), and I've never had issues with them not respecting the sleep setting I set in System Preferences.
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:47 am    Post subject:

I've found that unplugging the power supply from my macbook pro can have the unexpected side-effect that the 'Power Adaptor' profile gets edited to make it go to sleep when it was previously set to 'never'.

I'm waiting to see whether this happens in 10.6.x.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject:

I have implemented the sleep prevention described in this Apple tech note (thanks go to Gust for finding the UpdateSystemActivity() function for me). In the following test patch, the UpdateSystemActivity() function will be invoked every 15 seconds only while you are running a slideshow.

Can you install the following test patch and tell us if it works for you?:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0.1_Early_Access-Patch-0-Test-1-Intel.dmg
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.6_Early_Access-Patch-0-Test-1-Intel.dmg

PowerPC:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0.1_Early_Access-Patch-0-Test-1-PowerPC.dmg
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.6_Early_Access-Patch-0-Test-1-PowerPC.dmg

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1