Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Bug: Writer won't save Column widths correctly.
Bug: Writer won't save Column widths correctly.

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject:

mrelwood wrote:
I find it embarrasing to say at this forum, but since the OpenOffice 3.1.1 opens up so much faster than NeoOffice 3.0 patch 7, I'm afraid I will use OpenOffice in the future.

Don't be embarrassed. There is nearly a year's worth of engineering effort by Sun Microsystems' dozens of OpenOffice.org engineers in OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 that is not in OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 (the version that NeoOffice 3.0 is based on).

Since startup performance is something that those engineers are continually trying to improve in each release, I do not doubt that they have improved startup performance and, if we ever receive adequate donations to do so and our donations are requesting us to do so, we will eventually move NeoOffice to OpenOffice.org's latest version.

Patrick
mrelwood
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:16 am    Post subject:

James3359 wrote:
I'm not completely sure what you are saying here.

Format page setup shows the widths that are manually set at the first row. If the second row starts a two-column section, those margins can be moved outside the first row margins. I believe that was the original problem.

Quote:
Interesting you should say you find OOo 3.1.1 faster.

Using Intel MacBook 2GHz 2MB from 2,5 years back, OSX 10.5.8. The difference is OOo: "That's what all programs take" to NeoOffice's "I'll go for a beer meanwhile". Can't measure them right now, but I would imagine 10s compared to 30s.

(Edit:) First time measured 16s versus 28s. When opening the app again after quitting, the following starts are a lot faster. I now measure 7s and 6s.

-Aki.
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:02 am    Post subject:

mrelwood wrote:
James3359 wrote:
I'm not completely sure what you are saying here.

Format page setup shows the widths that are manually set at the first row. If the second row starts a two-column section, those margins can be moved outside the first row margins. I believe that was the original problem.

I *think* you are mixing up two different things. Format::Page shows the margins which are set for the whole page. Margins for paragraphs are then set in relation to the page margins either with a zero indent (i.e. following the page margins) or with negative or positive indents. This can change from one paragraph to the next.

The bugginess IMHO is in allowing you to manually drag paragraph margins outside the page margins at all - or at least if it does allow you to do that then a negative paragraph offset needs to be recorded. Though it may be (I haven't tested) that NeoOffice/OOo does that all right, but simply fails to carry the information through properly in the Word 97/2000/XP translator.

Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB
OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
mrelwood
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject:

James3359 wrote:
I *think* you are mixing up two different things. Format::Page shows the margins which are set for the whole page.

Yes, but if I drag the margins when the cursor is on the first row, the Format > Page margins do follow those settings.

Quote:
The bugginess IMHO is in allowing you to manually drag paragraph margins outside the page margins at all

I agree. Since the formatting can't be saved/loaded/converted, it shouldn't be possible. I posted the bug on the OpenOffice.org / issues/show_bug.cgi?id=105201

Quote:
Though it may be (I haven't tested) that NeoOffice/OOo does that all right, but simply fails to carry the information through properly in the Word 97/2000/XP translator.

You are right, if saving to .odt, the formatting opens up as expected.
_

It is hard for me to explain the behaviour in a foreign language, thanks for being patient.
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject:

I see what you mean. The overall page margin is decided by what is set at the beginning of the page, and although manually dragging the margin in the ruler further down the page changes the page margin indicator in the ruler it leaves the actual page margin guides unchanged.

I suppose there is a certain logic in this in that there can be only one page margin setting per page.

Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB
OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2