NeoOffice :: View topic - Input Chinese Characters
Input Chinese Characters

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maurofaraoni
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject: Input Chinese Characters

Please help me! I am new to neooffice and a complete dfu Embarassed

I want to input Chinese characters. When I open a new document my default language (English UK) appears in the third box from the left at the bottom. I press = and it changes to simplified Chinese (yaaay) however, as soon as I start to enter the romanised version of the word instead of giving me the character options I would expect the language changes back to English. Rolling Eyes

I have changed the language of Mac to Chinese ITABC on the flag at the top. I have tried everything that I can think of...

I'm going crazy! Shocked
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Input Chinese Characters

maurofaraoni wrote:
I want to input Chinese characters. When I open a new document my default language (English UK) appears in the third box from the left at the bottom. I press = and it changes to simplified Chinese (yaaay) however, as soon as I start to enter the romanised version of the word instead of giving me the character options I would expect the language changes back to English. Rolling Eyes

Why would you expect Mac OS X to input English text when you have set it to do Chinese? If you want to type in English, you need to change the keyboard back to English. This is how it works in all Mac OS X applications.

Patrick
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject:

Have you enabled Asian languages in Neo's Preferences?

Go to the NeoOffice menu, select Preferences, then Language Settings, and finally Languages
Make sure that "Enabled for Asian Languages" near the bottom is checked
Then set your default Asian language in the drop-down menu a little further up.

Does that help?

Lorinda
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject:

Lorinda,

Lorinda wrote:
Go to the NeoOffice menu, select Preferences, then Language Settings, and finally Languages
Make sure that "Enabled for Asian Languages" near the bottom is checked
Then set your default Asian language in the drop-down menu a little further up.

The NeoOffice settings are not applicable here and do not override the Mac OS X keyboard that you set.

Please see my post before yours. If the user is using the ITABC keyboard, they are going to get Chinese input and they must switch to an English keyboard to input English.

Patrick
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject:

Sorry to muddy the water, Patrick. Your post hadn't shown up yet when I posted mine. That aside, I mis-read maurofaraoni's post, and thus misunderstood the problem. Embarassed

I should know by now to re-read posts at least once--especially when they concern topics on the fringe of my acquaintance.

Lorinda
maurofaraoni
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Input Chinese Characters

Hi Lorinda and Patrick

Thank you both very much for responding to me. I have already done all the things you have mentioned.

What I am having a problem with, however, is how to keep the language of my document in Chinese characters. In Microsoft Office I would change the input language of the document from English to Chinese by pressing CTL+SPACE. Then all I had to do was type the romanised version of the word (Pin Yin) and select the appropriate character from a list of options.

Now, in neooffice it seems that to change the language (as mentioned before) I should press = or +. When I do so the language at the bottom of the document changes from English to my choice, simplified Chinese (this is when I start to get excited). Then when I press any other key, expecting to get the character options, the language box simply switches back to English and I am not offered character options (this is when I start to scream. LOL).

Am I using the wrong command? Should I be using a particular font? I am using arial and have tried a few others with no success. How do I get the chosen language to stick?

All the best to the team you are doing a great job!

Thanks!

Mauro
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Input Chinese Characters

maurofaraoni wrote:
What I am having a problem with, however, is how to keep the language of my document in Chinese characters. In Microsoft Office I would change the input language of the document from English to Chinese by pressing CTL+SPACE. Then all I had to do was type the romanised version of the word (Pin Yin) and select the appropriate character from a list of options.

Sounds like you were using Microsoft Office on Windows? Pressing Control-space certainly does not do what you describe in Microsoft Office 2004 or 2008 on my Mac.

In all Mac OS X applications, you must manually select the flag icon in the Mac OS X menubar. On a Mac, changing the keyboard is not something that NeoOffice or any other application controls. Instead, this is controlled by Mac OS X.

Patrick
UniqueUserID
Red Pill

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject:

In OSX 10.3.x, pressing cmd-space (not ctl-space) would toggle between keyboard input modes, the same as selecting one from the flag menu. This keyboard shortcut no longer works in OSX 10.5.x. Don't know if it still worked in 10.4.x or not. This keyboard shortcut now brings up Spotlight.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject:

UniqueUserID wrote:
In OSX 10.3.x, pressing cmd-space (not ctl-space) would toggle between keyboard input modes, the same as selecting one from the flag menu. This keyboard shortcut no longer works in OSX 10.5.x. Don't know if it still worked in 10.4.x or not. This keyboard shortcut now brings up Spotlight.

Apple assigned that key shortcut to Spotlight starting in Mac OS X 10.4 which is why I did not mention it.

Patrick
maurofaraoni
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:47 am    Post subject:

Thanks for all your help, guys!

However, I am an idiot. I kept panicking every time I began typing and the language in the bottom of my screen reverted to English. I have since discovered that if I ignore that and complete typing the Pin Yin (Romanised version of the word) and then press the space bar all the options for that character appear. I then simply have to press the arrow keys to get to the character I want and press enter. Voila! Bob's your uncle!

Hope this can be of use to others like me who are not as techno savvy as the rest of you esteemed gentlemen and ladies.

Thanks for this product it certainly is a God-send for the cash-strapped like me...

All the best,
Mauro
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1