Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Power point .pptx don't display correctly
Power point .pptx don't display correctly

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Christouf
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:47 am    Post subject: Power point .pptx don't display correctly

Hi.
I can't correctly display .pptx docs with Neo-Office. Is ther a add-on to make it work?
Is ther no hope of escaping MS Office?

Michel
Crying or Very sad
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Power point .pptx don't display correctly

Christouf wrote:
Hi.
I can't correctly display .pptx docs with Neo-Office. Is ther a add-on to make it work?
Is ther no hope of escaping MS Office?

Are you are opening a .pptx file that someone else created in Microsoft Office or are you opening a .pptx file that you previously saved in NeoOffice?

If you are opening someone else's .pptx file, can you do the following?:

1. Select the Help :: About NeoOffice menu in NeoOffice and tell us what version is displayed?

2. Attach a sample .pptx file using the steps in this forum post

If you are opening a .pptx file previously saved in NeoOffice, then I may have bad news for you: NeoOffice uses software from an open source project called "odf-converter" to export to the Microsoft Office 2007 format.

Unfortunately, the odf-converter code has several very large limitations that cause formatting loss when saving in the Microsoft Office 2007 format. Because of this, NeoOffice treats those Office file formats as experimental so you have to step through several dialogs to save in that experimental format.

It is not likely that the odf-converter project will ever support more than the bare minimum of the those file formats and we have found no other open source project that can provide this functionality so we recommend that users save in either the native NeoOffice .odt file format or, if compatibility with Microsoft Office is needed, save in the older Word 97/2000/XP .doc file format which has much more robust export code.

Patrick
Christouf
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject:

Hi PLuby

I'm using Neo-Office 3 patch 7.
Here's a PPtx I received recently that looks terrible.

Michel
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject:

Thank you for providing a sample document.

I have some bad news, the .pptx document does not format properly in OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 (which NeoOffice 3.0 is based on) or in OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 (their latest version) so this is an OpenOffice.org bug and not a NeoOffice bug.

Microsoft's .pptx format is radically different than the older .ppt format and, as a result, OpenOffice.org's .pptx import is still a work in progress.

Unfortunately, our very limited donations only provide enough funding for one fulltime developer which limits the current scope of the NeoOffice project to keeping a stable version of OpenOffice.org running on Mac OS X. Because of these limits, fixing OpenOffice.org's many feature bugs like this is not something we are able to do.

You can file a bug in the OpenOffice.org issue tracker to see if the core OpenOffice.org developers have the resources to implement a fix and, if they implement this behavior, the new behavior will get included in a future release of NeoOffice:

http://qa.openoffice.org/issue_handling/pre_submission.html

Note: our advice is to not mention NeoOffice as mentioning NeoOffice may cause OOo volunteers to accidentally close it without actually reviewing your feature request.

--fran
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject:

In the meantime there are two possible ways of working round this. Find someone with Office 2007 and get them to save the presentation in the 97-2003 .ppt format.

Or you could try using a free online service to convert the file such as Zamzar - I don't know how good it is.

Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB
OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject:

I have found another possible workaround: use NeoOffice 2.2.6 Early Access.

That version is based on OpenOffice.org 2.2.1 and, because OpenOffice.org could not import Microsoft Office 2007 files, that version use the odf-converter code to import files. In most cases, the odf-converter does a worse job of importing than the OpenOfice.org 3.0.1 code does. However, as you can see from my attached .odp file, the odf-converter code works better in your case.

If you need to read Microsoft Office 2007 files frequently, you may want to have both NeoOffice 2.2.6 Early Access and NeoOffice 3.0.1 Early Access on your machine. You can have two versions of NeoOffice installed on your machine by renaming your existing NeoOffice installation and then installing a different version. The last version installed will be the default version but you can still launch the old version by dragging a file onto the renamed installation.

--fran
Christouf
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Neo_office and PPTX

Thanks to all for your information, I'll try some of the tips!

Michel
Christouf
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: PPTX

Hi.

I'l try Neoffice 22.6 esarly access, but the only questions is:wherw can I get it?
Trinity home doesn't seem to point to any older software download...

Michel Confused
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: PPTX

Christouf wrote:
I'l try Neoffice 22.6 esarly access, but the only questions is:wherw can I get it?
Trinity home doesn't seem to point to any older software download...

Early Access Program members can download NeoOffice 3.0.1 EA and 2.2.6 EA from this page; the latter is right below the former.

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1